AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Andail

Alright
VIGILANT ROBOT WITH KEATSIAN CONTAINER INSIDE, BEFORE THE DIRECTION IN PILLOWS, (3), 7, 4

Cuiki

Damn...I think I got it.  >:(

It's a really cool puzzle by the way, so give it a go before you look at the spoilers!

Answer:
Spoiler
The Journey Down
[close]

Explanation:
Spoiler
Vigilant robot - Joey from BaSS
Keatsian container - urn (Ode on a Grecian Urn, by Keats)
Direction in pillows - down :-D
Jo - urn - ey
[close]
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 07/12/2014 16:58:03
Spoiler
Enter

Now, can anyone reverse-engineer the original puzzle to arrive at the same answer?
[close]
Spoiler

'You can do this after talking, pal.'
So when you talk to a pal on a chat room or messenger, you press the enter key after typing what you want to 'say'... Maybe. :-)
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Mon 08/12/2014 01:12:40
Quote from: Mandle on Sun 07/12/2014 16:58:03
Spoiler
Enter

Now, can anyone reverse-engineer the original puzzle to arrive at the same answer?
[close]
Spoiler

'You can do this after talking, pal.'
So when you talk to a pal on a chat room or messenger, you press the enter key after typing what you want to 'say'... Maybe. :-)
[close]

Nope sorry, here's the original puzzle reworded slightly. Should make it easier:

Spoiler
You can do this after speaking, friend (5)
[close]

Baron

Spoiler
MORIA!  You can do Moria after speaking friend, just like you can do Vegas after getting drunk! :=
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Mon 08/12/2014 04:49:55
Spoiler
MORIA!  You can do Moria after speaking friend, just like you can do Vegas after getting drunk! :=
[close]

Not quite:

Spoiler
Yes...the clue refers to the Gate Of Moria, but the answer is not Moria. It is computer related. Super hint:
Spoiler
On the gate it says: "Speak friend and _____"
[close]
[close]

Andail

Very good, Cuiki! You're either very clever or my riddle was easier than I'd thought.

And finally Mandle's puzzle is making sense to me now :)

Cuiki

Yep, I'm very clever at using search engines and various dictionaries. ;) And yes, it was a pretty easy riddle by this thread's standards. That's why I had to post the answer quickly, before any of the smart people could see it. :=

Okay, here's a silly one:

What rock is the father of metal? To answer, you'll first have to go East, and again, and look for the letter of inquisition. (6)

Baron

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 08/12/2014 09:39:00
Not quite:

Spoiler
Yes...the clue refers to the Gate Of Moria, but the answer is not Moria. It is computer related. Super hint:
Spoiler
On the gate it says: "Speak friend and _____"
[close]
[close]

Spoiler
Well, since "Enter" has already been guessed, I'm going to guess "Minno", which is elvish for "Enter" ;)   And btw, I'm on my computer Moria think. 8-)
[close]

Quote from: Cuiki on Mon 08/12/2014 11:32:15
What rock is the father of metal? To answer, you'll first have to go East, and again, and look for the letter of inquisition. (6)

I'm sensing some sort of keyboard maze here, but I'm having a hard time finding a starting point.

Mandle

Oh, Baron:

Spoiler
"Enter" was actually the correct answer. Sorry if I hadn't made that clear. I thought you were trying to get the answer on your own without looking at the correct reply. So yeah: "Speak friend and enter" and the "return" of the king were the solutions to the puzzle and the hint. Game over!
[close]

Mandle

Question:
Spoiler
Are there any numbers hidden in the wording like:

2 answer, you'll 1st have 2 go East, and again, and look 4 the letter of inquisition.
[close]

And:
Spoiler
Does "rock" and "metal" refer to the music genres? Because I wanted to guess "QUEEN" as it has two E's and a letter of inquisition (Q for question), but only 5 letters :(
[close]

Cuiki

Quote from: Baron on Tue 09/12/2014 02:01:52
I'm sensing some sort of keyboard maze here, but I'm having a hard time finding a starting point.
You mean as in literally moving across the keyboard and looking for the right letters? Hahaha, brilliant! ;-D But no..

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 09/12/2014 02:54:04
Question:
Spoiler
Are there any numbers hidden in the wording like:

2 answer, you'll 1st have 2 go East, and again, and look 4 the letter of inquisition.
[close]
No, it's got nothing to do with numbers.

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 09/12/2014 02:54:04
Spoiler
Does "rock" and "metal" refer to the music genres?
[close]
You tell me. :tongue:

Good thinking Mandle, but here's a clue:
Spoiler
The answer to the question "What rock..." only gives you some of the letters towards the final answer rather than being the final answer on its own. You could see the puzzle as being divided into three parts.
[close]

Aaand.. it's not AGS-related, in case you wonder.

Mandle

I'm thinking it has something to do with:

Spoiler
The table of elements?
[close]

Cuiki

Nope, not really.

A hint regarding your previous guess:
Spoiler
Letter q is not part of the answer.
[close]

Another hint:
Spoiler
The answer is the name of a character.
[close]

Is this too difficult? :-D

selmiak

hardrock is the father of metal!

CaptainD

This is maybe either too obvious or just dumb, but is the "father of metal"
Spoiler
ore
[close]
?

Baron

Spoiler
The rock from which metal comes could indeed be called an "ore" or a "lode".  Or maybe the clue refers to the rock that was a previous generation of metal (for tools, e.g.): flint?

East with a capital "E" suggests either the letter E or "The" East, ie "China" or "Orient".  The "and again" bit strongly suggests repetition, however.

The "letter of inquisition has me stumped.  It could be "W", which in English starts most question words.  It could be "I" for inquisition, or representing the stake they'd burn you at. (roll)  For that matter the letter "T" is symbolic of a certain Christian emblem, in whose name many an inquisition has been undertaken.  For that matter my keyboard has an "É" as an alternative letter for the "?" key, so.....  Yeah, still a bit stumped.

But for the sake of fun and variety, let's  see if I can't cobble all these lines of thought into a random stab-in-the-dark answer.  How about: FLEERM? :=
[close]

Stupot

Might the letter of inquisition be:
Spoiler
'w'
(As in who, what, where, etc)
[close]
?
  * okay, Baron had the same idea as I was typing this.

Cuiki

You're all so awesome! ;-D

I see the "letter of inquisition" bit is causing quite some confusion (none of you got that bit right yet btw), so let me paraphrase it veeery slightly: "the most inquisitive letter".

Baron

Quote from: Cuiki on Tue 09/12/2014 23:26:47
"the most inquisitive letter".

Spoiler
But why is it so inquisitive?  Why?? ;-D

Still don't get it though....  STEELY maybe? :-\
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk