AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Tue 16/12/2014 22:19:20
Yeah, that's right.  Too hard for you guys.  At least, that's what the folks over at the FPS & RPG Forums told me. (nod)  They said you guys couldn't solve your way out of an optional true-false questionnaire.  And something about your mama too, but that doesn't bear repeating. (wrong)  But I was all like, "hey, give them a chance!  These guys are pretty clever if they put their minds to it."  I guess time will tell who was right.... ;)

(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

Well, I kinda have an excuse: I'm on holidays from work so these first few days I have been catching up on a lot of AGS games I bookmarked to play during the year but wanted to wait until I had the time to play long runs at a time. (Just finished Donna: Avenger Of Blood... freaking amazing game!!! And Principles Of Evil I & II... very beautiful games)

I have had a look at the clue yesterday and thinking on it...Time shall indeed tell ;)

Stupot

Quote from: Baron on Mon 15/12/2014 02:15:09
Oceanspirit crossed idol (8)
Spoiler
EMOTICON
Emo (OSD is emo)
T (because you dot your Is and 'cross' your Ts)
Icon (another word for an idol)
[close]
I thank you.

Baron

Excellent use of logic, my friend.  Quite right, indeed.  Now somebody come up with another one that I can puzzle over, or I'll be obliged to come up with another one!

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 17/12/2014 11:48:39
Quote from: Baron on Mon 15/12/2014 02:15:09
Oceanspirit crossed idol (8)
Spoiler
EMOTICON
Emo (OSD is emo)
T (because you dot your Is and 'cross' your Ts)
Icon (another word for an idol)
[close]
I thank you.

Oh, you see...erm...I came up with that solution days ago but discarded it as ....ummm... being too obvious an answer for a Baron puzzle...so...yeah...

Seriously though: Man...getting that one without any hints...What the heck are you???

Stupot

Hehe. I confess it wasn't without the help of a thesaurus and a bit of luck. I thought 'crossed' meant X for ages, which was a devious trap. I was convinced it was 'lexicon' and Baron had got the word count wrong.

Let's see how this one plays out. Might be quite easy:
Tie him and him to Mr. Eliot. (11)

Baron

Well, I've got two ideas:

Spoiler
1) "Tie him and him", to Mr. Eliot, implying Mr. Eliot would have an 11 letter term for tying two dudes.  Perhaps Mr. Eliot is T.S. Eliot, the famous poet?  Did he have an 11 letter poetic term for gay marriage? :-\

2) "Tie" means put together, so we're meant to combine "him and him" to "Mr. Eliot".  In this context, I'm assuming "him and him" equates to the accusative/dative third person plural "them" (4), which combined with "Mr Eliot" (7) gives 11 letters.  But I can't make any one word that makes any sense with those letters (although "toilet" is a fun partial usage ;-D ).  So either Mr. Eliot refers to some famous Mr. Eliot that I can not deduce from the clue (first name or last...?), or I actually have to use "him and him" (9) with a two letter name (and I've had no success with the obvious TS in this line of thought).  :-\
[close]

Anyone else had any brilliant ideas?

Stupot

@Baron
Spoiler

You are correct in that Mr. Eliot refers to the famous T.S Eliot (but it's nothing to do with toilets, I'm afraid).
You were also right to shorten 'him and him', but 'them' is not the term I am looking for.
[close]
Keep going.

Mandle

So does "him and him" shorten to:

Spoiler
men?
[close]

CaptainD

Spoiler
Attachments
[close]
??

Stupot

That is indeed the answer. Well done Cap'n.
Good teamwork, team. 8-)

CaptainD

Yes, until Baron pointed out the obvious "TS Eliot", I was thinking it might mean Billy, but with the missing L being some sort of clue! (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 19/12/2014 12:43:45
Spoiler
Attachments
[close]
??

AMAZING!!!

Your mind is a polished masterpiece of crystal, whereas mine is but a handful of dust...

Here...let me show you, wait...I know I have it in one of these pockets...Or maybe it was behind the...

OH! There it was: under the rusted spring mattress. Now, let me show you fear in a...

SKREEEEEECCHHH!!!

Sorry, had one of my moments there:

I might have one:

Scanning the engine of a TIE Fighter: Enjoyable at first (8)

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 19/12/2014 13:52:36
I might have one:

I've got it I think, but can't 100% explain it.
Spoiler
Function
'FUN' = enjoyable, and comes 'at first'
'CT' - CT scan
'ION' - ??? (Not sure what this has to do with TIE fighters.
I'm guessing 'engine' was a clue that it was AGS-related
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 21/12/2014 02:41:07
Quote from: Mandle on Fri 19/12/2014 13:52:36
I might have one:

I've got it I think, but can't 100% explain it.
Spoiler
Function
'FUN' = enjoyable, and comes 'at first'
'CT' - CT scan
'ION' - ??? (Not sure what this has to do with TIE fighters.
I'm guessing 'engine' was a clue that it was AGS-related
[close]

Yup...you got it alright. Well done!

And the bit you weren't sure about:

Spoiler
TIE stands for "Twin Ion Engines" ;)
[close]

Next please!

Stupot

No sound occurs after a fall (10)

Andail

Spoiler

wintermute?
[close]

Andail

I'm pretty sure I was right there, so here's a really tricky one for your smarties:

article in king, then alien stopping ass-type (7, 6)

Stupot

Quote from: Andail on Sun 21/12/2014 20:22:27
I'm pretty sure I was right there...
you were indeed. :-D

Baron

I just googled ass-type to no practical avail.  Are we talking "cherry round" here or "inverted heart"? :=

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Mon 22/12/2014 02:08:14
I just googled ass-type to no practical avail.  Are we talking "cherry round" here or "inverted heart"? :=

(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk