AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

Merry Christmas:

Muddled aspects about the Spanish question make extensive lampoonery (5,5)

;-D

edit: Adventure related

edit edit: reordered clue to read more clearly. :)

Dadalus

the only thing I can think of is

Spoiler

BOARD QUEST.

I was thinking QUE (Spanish question) & (BOO) for lampoonery. After that I ran out of ideas.

[close]
This has been a 'Mouse fetishist' approved message.

Stupot

Spoiler

Space Quest?

I'm not sure how the extensive lampoonery fits in but 'space' is an almost-anagram of 'aspects'. In fact if makes 'space st' so I guess you put the final 'st' after 'que' to make 'quest'
Actually, that's too convoluted. I suppose you just solve the Spanish question first, to give 'aspects que' and then un-muddle it.
[close]

Dadalus

stupot+ I think your right

Spoiler

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sat 27/12/2014 10:12:21
Spoiler

Space Quest?

...but 'space' is an almost-anagram of 'aspects'. In fact if makes 'space st' so I guess you put the final 'st' after 'que' to make 'quest'

[close]

I think this is what Baron intended :)  'ASPECTS' muddled about 'QUE'.)

Nice one.

[close]

Baron

Correct!

Spoiler

Aspects muddled = spacest
spanish question = que
about = space que st
extensive = spacious ;)
spacious lampoonery = I was trying to come up with a not so obvious secondary clue for space quest.... (roll)

[close]
Good solving guys!

Dadalus

Nobody jumping in?

Ok, time for an easy one.

PROMOTING A MAJOR CONFABULATION (7,10)

Baron

I think I got it....

Spoiler
General Discussion

promoting a major = general

confabulation = informal discussion (although usually it's some sort of memory fabrication....(roll))
[close]

Just in case I was successful:

Bristly tangle set on mirror (7,5)

hint: AGS related

Dadalus

Aha, well done Baron.

As for yours it has to be

Spoiler

Trilby's Notes (BRISTLY -->TRILBY & ON & SET---> NOTES)

[close]

Time for someone, other than me or Baron, to step up and set the next clue.

CaptainD

Sorry folks, I'm neither as smart nor as quick as Baron or Dadalus, and this is probably painfully easy, but at least it is my own!

Who is on fire in charge of the car on top of the hill?  Why, it's Miss O'Hara, who is in the lead! (3,3,9)

AnasAbdin

Spoiler
Red Hot Overdrive?
[close]

CaptainD

Well that didn't last long... you are quite correct Anas!

It took a whole 8 minutes... could you not have waited until it got into double figures?!?! :P

AnasAbdin

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 29/12/2014 13:29:19It took a whole 8 minutes... could you not have waited until it got into double figures?!?! :P

I don't usually notice the time on messages :-[

Here's a quick one I just came up with:

Surpassing The guitarist (7)

Baron

Spoiler
I'm thinking The Guitarist refers to Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page, just because page would make a good ending for a clue.  There's also an outside chance it might be B.B. King, but that's harder to work into an answer.  Surpassing is where I start to lose it....  Cap?  Top?  That's all I got.... Somebody stand on the shoulders of this giant and take us the rest of the way.
[close]

AnasAbdin

Well Baron you're on the right track buddy 8-)

CaptainD

The guitarist - I was thinking
Spoiler
Jimi Hendrix
[close]
?

AnasAbdin

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 30/12/2014 09:21:04
The guitarist - I was thinking
Spoiler
Jimi Hendrix
[close]
?

Nein.

Hint:
Spoiler
Once the guitarist is revealed, the answer is obvious
[close]

Andail

Spoiler

I don't know if "The guitarist" means something else than just a very prominent guitarist, in which case we have
Yngwie Malmsteen, Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton, Santana
to mention a few. Santana made me think of Santa Claus, but that's not the right letters. 

If the italic The means something else, like a guitarist of any of the myriad "The [something]" bands, then I think we need more clues.

I too remain clueless about the "surpassing" part. I guess we simply need to add something to the name?
[close]

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Andail on Tue 30/12/2014 16:51:37
Spoiler

I don't know if "The guitarist" means something else than just a very prominent guitarist, in which case we have
Yngwie Malmsteen, Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton, Santana
to mention a few. Santana made me think of Santa Claus, but that's not the right letters. 

If the italic The means something else, like a guitarist of any of the myriad "The [something]" bands, then I think we need more clues.

I too remain clueless about the "surpassing" part. I guess we simply need to add something to the name?
[close]

Spoiler
'The' is italic to indicate he is indeed a famous guitarist. You are on the right track with your guessing but still not the one. Believe me, once you get the name the surpassing part will be very conspicuous!
[close]

Spoiler
you guys are going to kill me (laugh)
[close]

Andail

Spoiler

I wonder if surpassing means just adding -er or -est, is if you compared an adjective? Or should we add something like "more"

I also wonder if the guitarist is Mark Knopfler, in which case we have the rather viable mark to work with?

Just some wonderings.
[close]

AnasAbdin

Andail you're right about the surpassing part 8-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk