AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Andail

A Vendetta against Superman turns promise into destroyers of blades

I'm also doing away with numbers now, to crank up difficulty a notch

CaptainD

Spoiler
V for Vendetta... Superman has an S as his logo... maybe we're only looking for these 2 letters here?  Not quite sure how the "against" would fit in though.

"turns promise into destroyer of blades" - I'm getting vow and mow there, think that blades are probably blades of grass rather than blades of steel.
[close]

That's as far as I've got... can't make anything of it yet.  Is it Adventure Game related?

Dadalus

Initial thoughts

Spoiler

The V in Vendetta is capitalized, perhaps this is significant. Not sure yet how this fits in with 'against Superman'.

'turns promise into destroyers of blades' could be SEMI-PRO, as a golfer would destroy plenty of blades (of grass).

Perhaps the answer is SEMI-PROFESSIONAL, though how the Vendetta against Superman fits in I have no idea.
[close]

EDIT

Spoiler

"Vendetta against Superman" made me think of BATMAN (the embodiment of vendetta) as in 'Batman Vs Superman'.

Since the answer can't be 'BATMAN SEMI PRO' I can only think of "The Adventures of Fatman" as a possible solution, but I fear I am way off the mark.

Need someone else to solve this one unless I can somehow get a crowbar to Andail's head and have a peek inside. On second thoughts that might be too scary a place to look at :)

[close]

This has been a 'Mouse fetishist' approved message.

CaptainD

Another thought...

Spoiler
If my hunch about Vow and Mow was right, turning one into the other could mean changing the first letter into one midway between V and M, which would be R, so it would be Row.  Is that along the right lines?
[close]

Andail

You're a bit off, but then again this one was rather bad, not at all as brilliant as my last! Just one word, 10 letters.

CaptainD

I take it "blades" doesn't here refer to
Spoiler
Sheffield United Football Club
[close]
? (roll)

Ibispi

Ok, I've got it, it's very simple. :wink:

Spoiler
A is an article in English grammar = THE (also article) + Vendetta; V for Vendetta is a movie where some characters wear masks of Guy Fawkes, and Guy Fawkes was probably not fat, since he was a catholic, so FAT + against Superman => there is movie which is supposed to be released in 2016, called Batman vs(against) Superman, so BATMAN + turns promise into destroyers of blades = sounds like some kind of an ADVENTURE.
All summarized it's THE ADVENTURES OF FATMAN. Easy. :=
[close]

CaptainD

Wow... that logic is very... special! :-D 8-0

Stupot

Aha, a simple acronym. AVAST PIDOB

Andail

1. Think of a topical kind of promise.
2. Who's know for their destroyed sharp-edged weapons?

The rest are just about substituting a letter... yeah this one wasn't very good.

Dadalus

Spoiler

I'm toying with the idea that it might be something to do with vacant (v a kent)? empty promises?

After that I am out of ideas, inspiration and sheer stubbornness is not helping me with this one :)

[close]

AnasAbdin

Spoiler
Revolution?
[close]

Andail

Dadalus

some kind of explanation would be nice :)

AnasAbdin

Spoiler
I got it from the hint of the makers of Broken Sword :)
[close]
8-)

It is as confusing as this one (2)

AGS related... I think.

Andail

Hints for my riddle: Topical promise = resolution (as in new year's...) Exchange S for V and you get revolution, and Revolution Software keeps making Broken Sword games.

CaptainD

I think my brain just exploded.

Dadalus

Ok, trying to solve one of Andail's puzzles should come with a health warning:

MAY CAUSE HEAD TO EXPLODE

Below it a little picture of mine and CaptainD's heads detonating in a visual cacophony of  technicolour (with on overabundance of red and grey).

I officially raise the white flag for today :)

Baron

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Fri 02/01/2015 18:55:55
It is as confusing as this one (2)

Spoiler
F1
[close]

Spoiler
If that's not the answer, consider it a cry for help. :)
[close]

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Baron on Sun 04/01/2015 03:34:24
Spoiler
If that's not the answer, consider it a cry for help. :)
[close]

Nope, sorry.
Hints:
It's AGS related.
It's not a key on the keyboard.
It (the answer) is as confusing as this one (this cryptic puzzle)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk