AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Quote from: Baron on Fri 23/01/2015 01:49:47
Spoiler
Region?

There are many faiths with names, but an unlisted one might just have the generic "religion" stamp.

When you hide the main link in re-li-gion, you are left with region.
[close]
Spoiler

I think you're right, but the unlisted part refers to li being the shortcut code for making a list in the forums.
[close]

Baron

See, and I was hung up for the better part of today on "unlisted" meaning "not tipped or leaning". (roll)  Truly there is wisdom in crowds. (nod)

Edit: Soviet Russia's kingdom of the English Lacross Union (6)

AGS related.

AnasAbdin

You're correct.
Hiding the main link (html)
list <li>
faith = religion
unlisted re<li>gion

:P

CaptainD

Clever!  I think I was trying to separate this clue into too many separate parts... (roll)

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Fri 23/01/2015 02:56:56
See, and I was hung up for the better part of today on "unlisted" meaning "not tipped or leaning". (roll)  Truly there is wisdom in crowds. (nod)

Edit: Soviet Russia's kingdom of the English Lacross Union (6)

AGS related.

I'm guessing something like:
Spoiler
CCCP (or USSR) + ELU somehow I'm guessing...Or perhaps CCP (or SSR) + ELU as "kingdom" is already mentioned...
[close]

Baron

You're thinking too much.  It's more of a ...joke clue. ;)

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Sat 24/01/2015 02:39:47
You're thinking too much.  It's more of a ...joke clue. ;)

Spoiler
Something like: In Soviet Russia kingdom rules king....Or: lacross plays England...One of those kind of jokes?
[close]

Baron

Well, the idea behind one of those jokes, anyway. :)

Baron

All right, hintsies time:

Not too much of a hint....
Spoiler
Mandle has the ELU bit correct (but that was probably pretty obvious....;-D)
[close]

Bit more of a hint....
Spoiler
In Soviet Russia, puzzle solves you!
[close]

Das über hint (Don't read if you don't want the puzzle given away!)
Spoiler
For "Kingdom" you're looking for a suffix that denotes domain or jurisdiction
[close]

Mandle

D'OH!!! Got it:

Spoiler
Module

Reasoning: -dom suffix from kingdom + elu, both turned backwards (as in Soviet Russia)
[close]

I had to use all the hints of course  :-[

Mandle

Draw over the middle of your ass in the mirror after noting how much sag it has since the 23rd of January

AGS Related

Cassiebsg

This makes one wonder what outside ppl would think of this topic, if they just randomly read this, not getting the meaning of the topic.. (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 27/01/2015 16:58:12
This makes one wonder what outside ppl would think of this topic, if they just randomly read this, not getting the meaning of the topic.. (laugh)

This made me spit my drink!!!

CaptainD

Now is this ass an animal or a bottom?  It could make all the difference to the meaning.  (I have absolutely no ideas atm btw!)

Baron

Without a word count it is impossible to be sure, but I think....
Spoiler
Putting a mirrored "draw" down the middle of "ass" (ie over the middle s) produces the word "awards", and "sag" suspiciously is an anagram of some sort of adventure game creating software....  I can't say exactly the significance of the date, or the clue that scrambles "sag" and puts it in the front, but I feel pretty confident in guessing "AGS Awards".
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Wed 28/01/2015 02:49:30
Without a word count it is impossible to be sure, but I think....
Spoiler
Putting a mirrored "draw" down the middle of "ass" (ie over the middle s) produces the word "awards", and "sag" suspiciously is an anagram of some sort of adventure game creating software....  I can't say exactly the significance of the date, or the clue that scrambles "sag" and puts it in the front, but I feel pretty confident in guessing "AGS Awards".
[close]

100% correct! Well done!

And yeah:

Spoiler
I knew that once the fairly easy "awards" was figured out that the rest would be pretty obvious so that's why I didn't include a letter count and made the AGS part way too cryptical.

To answer your questions: The word "after" was supposed to indicate that "awards" should follow after "sag" rearranged in the order 231 (23rd of January). As I said: this bit way too cryptic without enough clear hints to indicate the code method, but I figured it was still solvable given the easy first bit.
[close]

Stupot

Ach! I'd been barking in completely the wrong woods.
I took 'the middle of your ass in the mirror' to be (d)onke(y) backwards. 'Ekno'. So I spent about an hour last night trying to force a 'T' in from of it and 'babylon' after it. To no avail :-(

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 28/01/2015 05:22:39
I took 'the middle of your ass ... So I spent about an hour last night trying to force a 'T' in ...

Mandle

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Wed 28/01/2015 06:40:46

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 28/01/2015 05:22:39
I took 'the middle of your ass ... So I spent about an hour last night trying to force a 'T' in ...

**SPITS DRINK** (again)

Guys, seriously....I'm getting more wine on the wall than in my mouth...

selmiak

just to let you know, in german the letter T is often referred to as the 'hard d' and d is the soft t, but that's irrelevant now

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk