AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

AprilSkies

Quote from: Baron on Mon 02/02/2015 21:09:45
Quote from: Cuiki on Sun 01/02/2015 20:23:39
Flying followers of a little green vegetable. (8)

Spoiler
Well, when I eat lima beans I get this flying cloud of methane following me around.... :P  Anyway, the chemical composition of methane is CH4, and on Channel 4 last night  there was another episode of the Undateables, which makes me nauseous and light-headed when I watch it, so I'm going to guess DOWNFALL. :=
[close]

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
this made my day (laugh)

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Cuiki

Okay, more hints. :P

Spoiler
Those followers of a little green vegetable are following all sorts of other crazy stuff...
[close]
Spoiler
A rupee box
[close]
Spoiler
A pizza cradle
[close]
Spoiler
A vision of dystopian future
[close]
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

Baron

Flying followers of a little green vegetable. (8)

Spoiler

OK, I'm going to put my serious-cap on and try to figure this out.  I'm pretty sure the little green vegetable is Brussels sprouts.  I mean, peas would work better as a partial answer, but aren't they like legumes or something?  So it's gotta be Brussels sprouts. :=

The "flying followers" intrigue me.  For a while I could not think beyond my first impulse: My Little Ponies.  But eventually I broke down and started reading the hints, and reluctantly abandoned my original hypothesis.

Quote from: Cuiki on Tue 03/02/2015 02:47:36
Spoiler
The word "followers" can also be taken in a bit more... grammatical sense, if that's the right expression.
[close]

Since grammar typically refers to syntax or morphology of words, and since secondary clues all referred to seemingly random nouns, I theoretically postulate that the next logical "following" would be a verb.  But which flying verb?  Flying?  Floating?  Levitating?  Maybe, if we expand "grammar" to include punctuation we can get actual flying marks, like quotes and apostrophes, and the ever flexible tilde....  Or maybe the clue refers to other symbols that you see floating in the superscript, like â,,¢ or ®?  R?  Wait!  "Flying Followers" + "Little Green Vegetables" is

Spoiler

®® + chives!

Arrrrrr Chives!

Archives!  (nod)
[close]
[close]

Stupot

Ponch, if that's right you are a greater man than I.  Well, you already are but I'm talking even greater than that.

CaptainD

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 04/02/2015 05:26:07
Ponch, if that's right you are a greater man than I.  Well, you already are but I'm talking even greater than that.

You were fooled by the sleeping cow avatar!  That is not Ponch, in fact it is none other than Baron!

(Unless you were joking about it being Ponch, in which case I withdraw my remark with much embarrassment... :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[)

Baron

Sorry for the confusion.  My server is down and I needed a sexy avatar to span the gap. ;)

Stupot

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 04/02/2015 10:18:39
Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 04/02/2015 05:26:07

You were fooled by the sleeping cow avatar!  That is not Ponch, in fact it is none other than Baron!

(Unless you were joking about it being Ponch, in which case I withdraw my remark with much embarrassment... :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[)
No no no, the embarrassment is all mine. I totally thought I was talking to Ponch :-[

AnasAbdin

Don't be embarrassed alone Stu... I was fooled as well :-[

Cuiki

Yeah, I also thought my riddle was so cool that a random Ponch appeared out of nowhere and randomly started solving it in a Baronesque sort of way for no reason... :-[

Spoiler
QuoteOK, I'm going to put my serious-cap on and try to figure this out.  I'm pretty sure the little green vegetable is Brussels sprouts.  I mean, peas would work better as a partial answer, but aren't they like legumes or something?  So it's gotta be Brussels sprouts. :=
Congratulations, well done, it's either a pea or a Brussels sprout!

QuoteSince grammar typically refers to syntax or morphology of words, and since secondary clues all referred to seemingly random nouns, I theoretically postulate that the next logical "following" would be a verb.
You've sort of lost me there, but no, that's not quite what I had in mind when I said 'grammatical'.

But anyway, let's focus on other things for now:
Spoiler
Seemingly random nouns? No way! Don't you know everything is intricately connected when you're a crazy follower?
In other words, all three sub-puzzles are puzzles in their own right, so you might as well all give it a shot and start guessing, yay! :P
[close]
Spoiler
[Flying][followers of [a little green vegetable / a rupee box etc.]]
[close]
[close]

Adeel

This was one of the best examples of subtle trolling I've ever seen, Baron! Like others, I was fooled as well! (laugh)

Mandle

Probably the wrong track here but if the vegetable is "pea":

Could the followers be:

Spoiler
the letters following P: QRSTUV etc?
[close]

Dadalus

I haven't a clue but 'flying followers' has led me to become a member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (a real thing I kid you not).

EDIT: I am loading up my six shooter again...
This has been a 'Mouse fetishist' approved message.

Baron

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Wed 04/02/2015 21:49:38
This was one of the best examples of subtle trolling I've ever seen, Baron! Like others, I was fooled as well! (laugh)

Doesn't there have to be some sort of malicious intent for it to count as trolling?  Anyway, I've changed my avatar so it's less likely that people mistake me for the big P.  Bear in mind that with my own server down, I'm pretty much limited to what I can scrounge off of the Barn Runner website. :-D

Edit
P.S. Another guess:
Spoiler
You keep emphasizing crazy things, so I'm guessing I need to do "prefix for flying" + "word for crazy".  Thus, the only logical conclusion is:
Spoiler
Astroloco! :=
[close]
;)
[close]

Adeel

Quote from: Baron on Thu 05/02/2015 02:55:05
Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Wed 04/02/2015 21:49:38
Doesn't there have to be some sort of malicious intent for it to count as trolling?

Sadly, trolling is associated with malicious intents indeed. But we can change that! ;)

Cuiki

Could the followers be:

Spoiler
the letters following P: QRSTUV etc?
[close]
Good guess, but not quite...

QuoteP.S. Another guess:
Spoiler
You keep emphasizing crazy things, so I'm guessing I need to do "prefix for flying" + "word for crazy".  Thus, the only logical conclusion is:
Spoiler
Astroloco! :=
[close]
;)
[close]
Soo close! I assume you know the answer now, but what about the rest of you??

Huge hint:
Spoiler
A rupee box - chest
[close]

I'm really sorry this has been dragging for so long, and sorry for not being capable of giving friendly and easy-to-understand hints. :(

Mandle

Ahhhhhh I think I have cracked a part of this:

Spoiler
Followers of a
little green vegetable: Peanuts
rupee box: Chestnuts
pizza cradle: Doughnuts
dystopian future: Brazil nuts
[close]

But yeah:
Spoiler
nuts
[close]
is I'm pretty sure this part of the answer...

So I'm going to guess:

Spoiler
wingnuts?
[close]

even though I still have no idea how this word is AGS related...But I have a feeling it may be right...

If not I guess I just get kicked in the balls and end up with:

Spoiler
soarnuts
[close]

Cuiki

Awesome work, you're absolutely right about the second part! ;-D

This is a hint just for you:
Spoiler
What's a good way to look up AGS games?
[close]

Mandle

Ahhhh got it:

Spoiler
Aeronuts
[close]

I see that Baron got it first though really, but didn't want give it away...

Awesome puzzle!

NEEEEXT!!!

Cuiki

Yay, good job! 8-)

QuoteI see that Baron got it first though really, but didn't want give it away...
Well, maybe he did, maybe he didn't. :P I still think you're the rightful winner, if nothing else just for figuring out the 'pizza cradle' and 'dystopian future' parts!

Stupot

Ahh nice work Mandle. Good puzzle Cuiki. :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk