AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: Cuiki on Thu 05/02/2015 15:30:16
Yay, good job! 8-)

QuoteI see that Baron got it first though really, but didn't want give it away...
Well, maybe he did, maybe he didn't. :P I still think you're the rightful winner, if nothing else just for figuring out the 'pizza cradle' and 'dystopian future' parts!

Pizza cradle was the toughest (as I'm a huge fan of Terry Gilliam films) because there actually exists a product called "Pizza Cradle" so of course, like a dummy, I read their entire site looking for hidden hints before realizing the obvious answer... (laugh)

This also made me aware of an interesting-looking game I didn't know about so thanks for that!

Baron

Quote from: Cuiki on Thu 05/02/2015 15:30:16
QuoteI see that Baron got it first though really, but didn't want give it away...
Well, maybe he did, maybe he didn't. :P

Mind games in the Cryptic Clue thread!?!  Well, I never.... :X ;)

Stupot

Funnily enough, I watch Brazil last week for the first time. I thought I'd seen it before but it was not what I thought. I actually didn't really like it at all. 12 Monkeys is great though. I also rewatched that last week so it was fresh in my mind for watching the new TV show (which, by the way, isn't toooo bad).

Sorry for going off topic. New clue please :-)

Mandle

Any lack of quality in a game should be berated even if done well, provided that the rating is considered ahead of the negative value of the work and the positive execution added as an afterthought (9)

I think this one is so easy for the giant brains we have working on this stuff that I'm not even going to insult you all with a context... (letter count added)

For now...

DISCLAIMER:
Spoiler
Oh, and I just want to add that once "THE ANSWER" in hit upon: I meant no disrespect...I love "THE ANSWER"...The puzzle was just the way it came together
[close]

HanaIndiana

Uh, what? :confused:  You can count me out as one of the 'big brains' around here. :-D

But here's the math equivalent I think. I'm sure this will help:  ((game-quality)*b - work) + execution
I'm dying to here the answer now.

selmiak

I wonder if wordcount or lettercount is better suited as some helper here?

CaptainD

For some reason I thought of
Spoiler
Stupot+
[close]
but it was only really because of the "positive execution added as an afterthought" bit.  You might as well have written it in Swahili for all I understood it!

Mandle

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 06/02/2015 19:04:14
I wonder if wordcount or lettercount is better suited as some helper here?

Awwwwww alriiiiiight:

(9)

Cassiebsg

Is that a nine or a selmiak six? (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 07/02/2015 07:21:26
Is that a nine or a selmiak six? (laugh)

Awwww crap....now that would have been really cryptic of me...But I missed the chance...

It's a 9 :(

Baron

Spoiler
trollsong?
[close]

CaptainD

@Baron - technically that would be (5,4) :P

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Sun 08/02/2015 13:34:03
Spoiler
trollsong?
[close]

Nope...

I have looked over the puzzle again and, while it has multiple layers, with some synonym-based thinking somebody should hit that moment where it all becomes obvious in a flash of inspiration...

(Probably Stupot+...This is exactly the kind of puzzle he will obsess over while teaching bratty Japanese kids)

(But HanaIndyana came very, veeeeerrryyy close with the formula)

HanaIndiana

Seriously?! It read like a math formula to me, but figured I was totally off in left field.

Mandle

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 06/02/2015 15:46:48
Any lack of quality in a game should be berated even if done well, provided that the rating is considered ahead of the negative value of the work and the positive execution added as an afterthought (9)

Looks like time for a hint:

What is the order of the puzzle?
Spoiler
The rating comes first, then the negative value of the work, and then the positive execution last
[close]

:P

Stupot

I've got nothing, but could the 'rating' part have something to do with stars (or cups)?

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Mon 09/02/2015 15:29:48
I've got nothing, but could the 'rating' part have something to do with stars (or cups)?

Not at all...

In fact:

Spoiler
HanaIndyana already cracked what the "rating" means in their formula
[close]

Stupot

Oh I get it:
Spoiler
berated = B-rated
[close]

And the rest of it has just hit me:
Spoiler
Negative value = lack (as in lacking some quality)
Positive execution = well (as in done or executed well)

Thus: Blackwell :-)
[close]

CaptainD

Well done mate!  (Assuming you got it right... certainly looks right to me, don't think I would have ever got it tbh. :-[)

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Mon 09/02/2015 16:07:04
Oh I get it:
Spoiler
berated = B-rated
[close]

And the rest of it has just hit me:
Spoiler
Negative value = lack (as in lacking some quality)
Positive execution = well (as in done or executed well)

Thus: Blackwell :-)
[close]

100% correct!!! I'm gonna split credit for this win between HanaIndyana and Stupot+

Well done big brains!

Okay....next please!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk