AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

Well I put a bit more thought into it, now that there is more to put thought into, and I'm thinking...

Spoiler
"fashionable" is a short synonym like "hip", "cool", "chic" or "in", while "welcome you can count on" refers to a way that we greet people with an appendage that we literally count on: our hands.  Thus I'm thinking "wave", or "shake", or maybe a more fashionable method like "five" or "bump".  The "mixed up" bit of the clue means to scramble it all up.  So doing a bit of math to get exactly seven letters I get an answer like in+shake -> hankies! :=
[close]

Wyz

You've got the first part right, but the second part doesn't add up I'm afraid. You're on the right track though. ;)
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Baron

Quote from: Wyz on Fri 06/03/2015 02:26:52
You've got the first part right, but the second part doesn't add up I'm afraid.

No.... I checked my math like twelve times over.  2 + 5 actually does equal 7. (nod)

Wyz

Fair enough; I'm looking for a number in fact, but not just a number, all numbers actually. ;)
Hint:
Spoiler
AGS program related
[close]
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Baron

Well, since no one else jumped on it now that it's obvious....:P

Spoiler
integer: in = fashionable, teger = "greet" mixed up.  I am currently sustaining head-trauma as I kick myself in the brain for not connecting the dots sooner.  (roll)
[close]

Edit: an even more devious clue, with hairpin twists of logic so fraught you'll piss yourself before you get it! :=

Bad, wild as a bug, in Aussie code (3)

Stupot

Hmm...
Spoiler
304?
[close]

Baron

Not a bad guess at all, but WRONG. ;-D

hint #1
Spoiler
AGS Related
[close]

hint #2 (only read if you want specific procedural directions)
Spoiler
Try googling a lyric
[close]

hint #3 (we're getting dangerously close to giving it away here)
Spoiler
What is Australia, metaphorically speaking?  Their summer is our winter, their toilets flush clockwise while ours more sensibly flush counter-clockwise, our nature is relatively tame while theirs is a toxic slurry of venomous evil....;)
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Thu 12/03/2015 00:18:15
hint #3 (we're getting dangerously close to giving it away here)
Spoiler
their toilets flush clockwise while ours more sensibly flush counter-clockwise
[close]

Spoiler
This is actually a myth. The Coriolis Effect only affects bodies of water at least several miles wide, and only over substantial periods of time. And I don't even want to hear about how big their toilets are down in Texas...
[close]

Baron

The Simpsons LIED to me?!?  Way to shatter my life-paradigm, Mandle. :-\

But what about spools of thread, toilet paper rolls and willy willies?  Do they at least spin backwards in Oz?

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Thu 12/03/2015 03:44:54
The Simpsons LIED to me?!?  Way to shatter my life-paradigm, Mandle. :-\

But what about spools of thread, toilet paper rolls and willy willies?  Do they at least spin backwards in Oz?

Hahaha yeah I remember the episode. One thing they did get right was that they had a toilet which spun a certain way because it was designed to spin that way. This is actually why toilets spin different ways (well, the water in them): Because they are designed to spin in that direction. Maybe it's like driving on the left/right side of the road. Some countries prefer it one way, others the other way...?

I'm not sure about thread, but toilet paper rolls in Australia the same direction as everywhere else: downhill, and, as far as I know, wet willies turn both ways before removing the digit from the aural cavity...

Mandle

Spoiler
So it looks to me like Aussie code means turn everything backwards.

"wild as a bug" is a lyric from "All Shook Up" by Elvis.

"Bad" is a song by Michael Jackson.

As Elvis is identifiable by first name only but Michael needs both:

Ummmmm...

"EJM"???
[close]

CaptainD

I would have gone for
Spoiler
USA - initials of "All Shook Up" in reverse
[close]
but you said it was AGS-related, so... :confused:

Baron

Close again, but you're forgetting the first part of the clue, and the oppositeland bit, and hint number 1 (as you mentioned) ...but your word count is impeccable. :)

Mandle

I'm thinking maybe "bad" refers to:
Spoiler
A code order? As in put the first letter in the middle (a), the second letter at the start (b) and the fourth letter at the end (d)?
[close]

Baron

Not exactly.  It's actually the word "bad", only in oppositeland code.  I'm laying it all out there because I think I might have made it too hard, kinda like the Rumplestiltskin puzzle in the original KQ2.  Has anyone peed yet, by the way? ;)

Mandle

I'm beginning to think the answer is:

Spoiler
AGS!

I can't quite figure out the retro-engineering but:

The AS comes from ASU (All Shook Up) and the G comes from Good (opposite of bad)?
[close]

CaptainD

I honestly thought it was
Spoiler
AGS
[close]
right from the start, but only because it was 3 letters, I had no idea how to match it to the clues! :grin:

Baron

Nope.  Here's some light reading 2 give it away. :)

CaptainD

Hehe... would never have got it without repeated massive hints!
Spoiler
WYZ
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 13/03/2015 13:45:42
Hehe... would never have got it without repeated massive hints!
Spoiler
WYZ
[close]

HAHAHA OH CRAP I WAS JUST ANSWERING!!! (laugh)

Spoiler
So BAD in backwards alphabet code is: YZW, "all shook up" just means to scramble the letters....Grrrrr!!!

* Mandle pisses himself
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk