AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 13/03/2015 13:55:58
HAHAHA OH CRAP
* Mandle pisses himself

I told you that would happen!  I told you!

Mandle

I was pre-prepared (or rather pee-prepared) with my secret stash of adult diapers and now I stab at thee from the heart of them:

My absence at the end could leave you hairless. (7,5) 

Baron

Easy peasy:

Spoiler
"could leave" refers to a path of egress, the conditional component denoting that its theoretical openness has been severed, while "my absence at the end" refers to simply removing "my" from the end of a word.  "You hairless" is just a clever homophone of "ewe hairless".  Therefore, the answer can only be:

Vasecto Shorn :=
[close]

Wyz

Quote from: Baron on Sat 14/03/2015 01:13:19
Quote from: Mandle on Fri 13/03/2015 13:55:58
HAHAHA OH CRAP
* Mandle pisses himself

I told you that would happen!  I told you!

Hah, I should probaly have guessed that; but I was not prepared to piss myself. :-[
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Sun 15/03/2015 22:41:09
Easy peasy:

Spoiler
"could leave" refers to a path of egress, the conditional component denoting that its theoretical openness has been severed, while "my absence at the end" refers to simply removing "my" from the end of a word.  "You hairless" is just a clever homophone of "ewe hairless".  Therefore, the answer can only be:

Vasecto Shorn :=
[close]
HAHAHAHA!!!

Not even close :P

Hint as to whether AGS related or not:
Spoiler
It is AGS related
[close]

Mandle

A further hint (and quite a biggie):

Spoiler
The puzzle could also read:

My absence at the end could leave you hairless. (1)
[close]

Wyz

I would have guessed
Spoiler
semi colon
[close]
but the letter count is off (wrong).
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Stupot

Spoiler
the only thing I can think of that fits the word count is 'decimal point'.

How it relates to the clue and to AGS, I don't know but I imagine it's used a lot in coding.

If you receive a bill at the end of the month and it says $1234 but you were expecting $12.34, you might very well lose your hair.
[close]

Baron

Having torn out my hair many a time due to this, I am changing my answer to:

Spoiler
Closing brace.  They are a huge pain to sort out, especially if there are many braces nested inside other ones (multiple levels of conditionality, etc.).
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Tue 17/03/2015 04:37:34
Having torn out my hair many a time due to this, I am changing my answer to:

Spoiler
Closing brace.  They are a huge pain to sort out, especially if there are many braces nested inside other ones (multiple levels of conditionality, etc.).
[close]

Got it!!!

Spoiler
You forget one of those suckers somewhere in a complex nest of functions then good luck tearing your hair out for the next hour tracking it down!
[close]

So yeah, I made this one not cryptic at all to try to fool people into all kinds of word-play.

Didn't work for long (laugh)

NEXT!!!

Baron

Bushmen follow jalopy homies, expire, then leave (14)

hints:

Spoiler
Adventure related
[close]

Spoiler
Multiple words add to 14 letters, but I won't publish the exact distribution yet because I think it will make it too easy ;)
[close]

Edit:

Fine.... (roll) 

Spoiler
Two Words
[close]

Double Edit:

More hints:

Spoiler
Think adventure villain.
[close]

Stupot

I think I've got it based on your generous hints, but I'm still working on making it fit the original clues, so I'll keep schtum for a while in case someone else can do it.

Baron

Don't put too much thought into it.  Unlike some of my other clues, this one is just straight up synonyms. ;)

Mandle

I'm thinking part of the name is:

Spoiler
Daigo?
[close]

But I don't think I know the game so...

Baron

Wow, that was really close!  You almost have it.  Just... keep pushing, that's all I can tell you.

But I can give you some anti-hints ;)

Spoiler
Don't read up on Bushmen on Wikipedia.
[close]

Mandle

AH....Got it:

Spoiler
Carmen Sandiego...

Bushmen follow jalopy homies, expire, then leave (14)

So jalopy homies=Carmen...I'm guessing san=south african/american natives or something like that?....and expire=die...and leave=go
[close]

Mandle

An infected vagrant, running backwards, chasing many trucks with the wrong mail (6,6)

hint:
Spoiler
Adventure game related
[close]

selmiak

An infected vagrant, running backwards
could be
eibmoz
this is zombie running backwards and has 6 letters.
and chasing means that it is the second word, after the first, but no idea on the other stuff. Not that eibmoz makes any sense...

Baron

I was thinking infected =ill, and vagrant =bum, resulting in "mubill" or possibly "llimub".  But "eibmoz" is just as likely to be correct. ;)

Haggis

Mubill could be mobile maybe?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk