AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

I'm convinced that everyone reading this topic has already guessed the answer... I know I have, and I suck at this! (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Baron

What answer?  Nobody has guessed the correct answer yet.  There's been nothing but a lot of equivocal insinuation. (wrong)

Stupot

Am I the only one who can't ESCAPE the CURSE of not knowing the answer.

ManicMatt

Someone brush this guy in three types of pee wood.

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 26/03/2015 19:58:04
I'm convinced that everyone reading this topic has already guessed the answer... I know I have, and I suck at this! (laugh)

OH SNAP, GUYS!!! I feel like the school-marm caught us goofing around behind her back... (laugh)

Mandle

Okay...I'll do the dirty deed that noone else seems to want to do:

Spoiler
man=guy paint=brush urine=p timber=wood...I still have no idea how "Helmut's dry" translates into "three" but the answer is:

GUYBRUSH THREEPWOOD!!!
[close]

NEXT!

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 28/03/2015 13:23:08
Spoiler
I still have no idea how "Helmut's dry" translates into "three"...
[close]
Spoiler
I think Helmut is from Germany, and drei is three in German
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sat 28/03/2015 16:09:32
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Mind BLOWN!!!

selmiak

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 28/03/2015 16:41:11
Quote from: Stupot+ on Sat 28/03/2015 16:09:32
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Mind BLOWN!!!

absolutely.
Hey, as a non native english speaker, I always wondered, is Threepwood an actual word? I don't think it's an actual name. Or is it some piratey language wordplay on driftwood?

ManicMatt

Nah it doesn't mean anything! I knew Guybrush was to do with their paint program but I didn't know what inspired threepwood. Maybe this Wikipedia entry is telling the truth:

The origin of the name "Guybrush" comes in part from Deluxe Paint, the tool used by the artists to create the character sprite. Since the character had no name at this point, the file was simply called 'Guy'. When the file was saved, Steve Purcell, the artist responsible for the sprite, added 'brush' to the filename, indicating that it was the Deluxe Paint "brush file" for the "Guy" sprite. The file name was then "guybrush.bbm", so the developers eventually just started referring to this unnamed 'Guy' as "Guybrush".[2][3] Guybrush's surname "Threepwood" was decided upon in a company contest and is derived from P. G. Wodehouse's family of characters including Galahad Threepwood and Freddie Threepwood (with whom he shares similar characteristics). "Threepwood" is also rumoured to have been the name of Dave Grossman's RPG character

Mandle

Best ideas of men last incompletely and corrupted. (5)

AGS related

Baron

I'm getting a Robbie Burns vibe here.  Do you have to be able to recite Scottish poetry to solve this one, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Sun 29/03/2015 21:39:37
I'm getting a Robbie Burns vibe here.  Do you have to be able to recite Scottish poetry to solve this one, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

You're even in the wrong forest :-D

Mandle

Okay...hint time:

(WARNING: THIS IS A PRETTY BIG HINT!)

Spoiler
It's the name of an AGS game.
[close]

MiteWiseacreLives!

Blackwell Epiphany ??

Haggis

Spoiler

- Best ideas of men last - well the first part is from the bible (Corinthians something about god ignoring mens best ideas). The "last" I assume means this part is at the end of the word?
- incompletely and corrupted - I assume it's something to do with either synonyms or that letters are missing or changed?
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Haggis on Tue 31/03/2015 20:50:41
Spoiler

- incompletely and corrupted - I assume it's something to do with either synonyms or that letters are missing or changed?
[close]

This part is mostly correct ;-D

Baron

Well I took ten minutes to see if the "brute force" method would work: just looking up all the 5 letter AGS games (how many could there be?).  I searched the database and the last couple pages of the CG thread, but admittedly some AGS games would appear in neither.  Anyway, I couldn't make any of the names fit, but maybe some of you could see the logic behind the clues, so here are my results:

Atapi
Beer!
Crave
Crypt
Deity
Doses
Essia
Exile
Jacob
Party
Plan M
Shells
Snake
Space
Wall-E

Anybody got any ideas? :undecided:

Stupot

Quote from: Baron on Thu 02/04/2015 02:01:48
Hmm, well Essia is an incomplete and corrupted anagram of 'ideas'.

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Thu 02/04/2015 02:01:48

Sorry mate...I'm at a complete loss...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk