AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

Spoiler
On the subject of orgasms and Mandle's mother... -wait!  Wasn't there a clue to be deciphered?!?  :P
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Wed 22/04/2015 02:32:05
Spoiler
On the subject of orgasms and Mandle's mother... -wait!  Wasn't there a clue to be deciphered?!?  :P
[close]
(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

Okay...so...
Spoiler
When you botch something you say "DOH" and orgasm is "cum" so we get "dohcum".

Grammatically, "do" is an operator, so removing that leaves us with: "hcum"..?
[close]

Baron

Big hint:

Spoiler
There is an operator in || this sentence.
[close]

Mandle

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

CLICK!!!

Spoiler
MAGS!

Botched = jumbled
Orgasm - operator (or) = gasm
Rearrange to: MAGS
[close]

(sneaky by being not-so-sneaky)

Baron

Correct!  Now someone make an easy one for me. (roll)

Mandle

A retro movie initially promoted to B-grade about an agency entrusted to detect incoming nuclear missiles (5).

Baron

Spoiler
Borat?  And if that's right, are we now conflating the two best competitions the Rumpus Room has ever seen? :=
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Tue 28/04/2015 03:41:20
Spoiler
Borat?  And if that's right, are we now conflating the two best competitions the Rumpus Room has ever seen? :=
[close]

No...but...

Spoiler
You got the nuclear agency name right, and the way to use the "B"...A step is missing somewhere though...
[close]

Baron

Spoiler
Is it an incredibly sexy forum member?
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Tue 28/04/2015 11:48:35
Spoiler
Is it an incredibly sexy forum member?
[close]

No...but...

Spoiler
A reasonably sexy forum member is correct so your answer is acceptable...NEXT!!!
[close]

Haggis

Don't forget to include your working out.

Baron

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 28/04/2015 19:04:39
No...but a reasonably sexy forum member is correct so your answer is acceptable.

Hey!

Quote from: Haggis on Tue 28/04/2015 19:29:01

Very well.

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 27/04/2015 16:08:17
A retro movie initially promoted to B-grade about an agency entrusted to detect incoming nuclear missiles (5).

Spoiler
"Agency entrusted to detect incoming nuclear missiles" = NORAD, and "retro" = backwards, thus "DARON".  "Initially" =first (ie first letter), and "B-grade" refers to the letter B, implying a substitution of the first letter with a 'B'.  I think the "movie" bit was just a cover to hide the clues.
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Haggis on Tue 28/04/2015 19:29:01

Hahaha! I just flashed back to high-school maths tests...

Yeah...I know I'm usually the one asking to see the figuring. (laugh) I'm not asking because I think the answer wasn't properly worked out or anything. I ask because I'm interested in how easy/hard/stupidly impossible different parts of my puzzle were for my own study of puzzle making (both cryptic and otherwise).

Quote from: Baron on Wed 29/04/2015 03:37:23
Quote from: Mandle on Mon 27/04/2015 16:08:17

Spoiler
"Agency entrusted to detect incoming nuclear missiles" = NORAD, and "retro" = backwards, thus "DARON".  "Initially" =first (ie first letter), and "B-grade" refers to the letter B, implying a substitution of the first letter with a 'B'.  I think the "movie" bit was just a cover to hide the clues.
[close]

Exactly!

Haggis

QuoteI ask because I'm interested in how easy/hard/stupidly impossible different parts of my puzzle were for my own study of puzzle making (both cryptic and otherwise).

Exactly, it's all about understanding the logic behind it, otherwise my simple brain remains dumbfounded as to how the clues relate to the answer. Very well played though sirs.

QuoteHey!

Seconded, who can resist that monocle.

Mandle

Quote from: Haggis on Wed 29/04/2015 12:08:13
QuoteHey!

Seconded, who can resist that monocle.

I will admit that the monocle IS a very hip part of Baron's appeal...But...

I dunno...It doesn't quite push him over into the "racecar-in-the-red" zone for me in my current life-phase of sexuality...

Maybe I just need another couple of years here for it to bring on the full effect? :P

Mandle

A monkey drops extasy. I am central in real life. Ski with extasies. (10)

Baron

Mandle

Correct! Okay, that's the easy ones you asked for... Someone come up with a doozy please!!!

Baron

Go far damning spills (4, 8)

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Thu 30/04/2015 11:43:04
Go far damning spills (4, 8)

The only thing I have been able to come up with so far is:

Spoiler
Damn Wikileak
[close]

and I'm pretty sure that's not right...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk