Previous topic - Next topic

AnasAbdin

HAHA amazing puzzle!

CaptainD

Baron

Very good, you guys got it! 8-)

Now who's next?

Mandle

A laboratory without a water source after killing off some ry birds in a famous game trapped in a red flower (18)

(The answer is actually two words with a total of 18 letters, but you must decide where exactly to split them.)

Spoiler
AGS related
[close]

Baron

Ry birds?  Is this a typo, or are words just getting weirder?

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Fri 08/05/2015 22:25:29
Ry birds?  Is this a typo, or are words just getting weirder?

It's not a typo. ;)

Haggis

Ok, I only have a few thoughts...

Spoiler
A laboratory without a water source after killing off some ry birds in a famous game trapped in a red flower (18)

- 'after' means the answer is ordered - killing off some ry birds in a famous game trapped in a red flower, A laboratory without a water source
- famous game trapped in a red flower - well red flower is an anagram of freeworld?
- ry birds = angry birds, so ANG comes back into the answer and the RY is dropped?
- A laboratory without a water source.... drylab?
My head hurts...
[close]

Can't look at the word laboratory for too long after the election result.

Mandle

I have highlighted the correct parts of your excellent head-hurting thoughts and crossed out things that are off-track:

Spoiler

- 'after' means the answer is ordered - killing off some ry birds in a famous game trapped in a red flower, A laboratory without a water source
- famous game trapped in a red flower - well red flower is an anagram of freeworld?
- A laboratory without a water source.... drylab?
My head hurts...
[close]

That should help things along a bit I feel... ;)

Baron

Just some thoughts....

Spoiler
"A laboratory without a water source" = lab -oratory (a source of holy water?).  I only gather this based on Haggis' work.  I was thinking it was "labratry" since O2 is a "source" of water.... (roll)

We never got clarification on Haggis' stab at a famous game ("angry birds") with the "ry birds" killed off: angry birds, but it makes sense to me.

"Trapped in a red flower" would imply that "ang" would be inserted inside the name of a red flower, or possibly "a red flower" itself.  I flirted with "ar-ang-ed", but apparently that has two Rs.   The "trapped" bit may or may not imply that the whole word is trapped inside, or whether its letters are spread out.  By letter count alone, "lab" + "ang" + "red flower" = 18 letters implies quite a long flower name.  My guess is "red carnation", but I can't get it to work.

Significantly, according to the clue "lab" comes after everything, so in theory we could just use the brute force method and search the AGS site for an 18 letter word pairing that ends in some combination of "lab".  In theory.... :P
[close]

Mandle

Once again I have highlighted the correct parts and crossed out the off-track parts:

Spoiler
"A laboratory without a water source" = lab -oratory (a source of holy water?).  I only gather this based on Haggis' work.  I was thinking it was "labratry" since O2 is a "source" of water.... (roll)

We never got clarification on Haggis' stab at a famous game ("angry birds") with the "ry birds" killed off: angry birds, but it makes sense to me.

"Trapped in a red flower" would imply that "ang" would be inserted inside the name of a red flower, or possibly "a red flower" itself.  I flirted with "ar-ang-ed", but apparently that has two Rs.   The "trapped" bit may or may not imply that the whole word is trapped inside, or whether its letters are spread out.  By letter count alone, "lab" + "ang" + "red flower" = 18 letters implies quite a long flower name.    My guess is "red carnation", but I can't get it to work.

Significantly, according to the clue "lab" comes after everything, so in theory we could just use the brute force method and search the AGS site for an 18 letter word pairing that ends in some combination of "lab".  In theory.... :P
[close]

Oh and sorry about the:

Spoiler
Angry birds slip up on my part. I actually did attempt to bold Haggis' correct assumption there but I must have hit space or something while it was highlighted and deleted it by accident, or some such botch-up.
[close]

MAJOR CLUE (view at your own peril):
Spoiler
[REDACTED] due to making the puzzle too easy...
[close]

Stupot

I've got it, but I looked at the major clue and don't to want to claim it coz I didn't do any if the legwork.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 10/05/2015 07:22:06
I've got it, but I looked at the major clue and don't to want to claim it coz I didn't do any if the legwork.

Yeah...I thought that clue might have been a giveaway so it has been officially [REDACTED]...Thanks for your honourable not-giving-away of the puzzle mate!

Baron

I have no honour, but nor do I have access to the redacted clue.  So....  the large letter count makes me think it might be one of those gangly AGS-Script commands, but I can't make anything fit.  chANGehotspotLABel, or something like that.  I don't know.  Maybe if there were some sort of softened, semi-redacted hint....

Mandle

Hint:
Spoiler
"without" does not indicate to subtract something from another word...
[close]

Softened MAJOR HINT:
Spoiler
Find the flower and you own the hour
[close]

Baron

So.... we're talking Shakespearean "without" then?  Meaning "around" or "outside of"? :undecided:

Some sort of time-related red flower, eh?  If only I'd paid attention in that horticultural class that I never took.... :=

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Wed 13/05/2015 01:44:39
So.... we're talking Shakespearean "without" then?  Meaning "around" or "outside of"? :undecided:

Some sort of time-related red flower, eh?  If only I'd paid attention in that horticultural class that I never took.... :=

Spoiler

It's more a synonym of "without" you would want than an alternate meaning...

Time-related flower? No, I think my hint's crude attempt at rhyme might be to blame here: It just meant that if you hit on the correct flower's name then the rest of the puzzle will probably just fall into place...
[close]

SUPER COOL HINT:
Spoiler

A breakdown of a few pieces of the puzzle and how many letters they each contain:

"laboratory" (3) (laugh)

But wait...there are more if you wish to continue:
Spoiler
"without" (4)
"water source" (4)

And even one more if you really want to go that far:
Spoiler
"red flower" (....bbbbbzzzzzzztttttt...TRANSMISSION INTERRUPTED...Containment teams en route to source of breach...)
[close]
[close]
[close]

Mandle

I'm handing the next hint over to Stupot as I know from him personally that he has already solved this one...He told me so while we were enjoying our rather expensive but very delicious "Parent-Child Bowls"...

Albiet he did see the MAJOR HINT before it was [REDACTED]...

So Stu...Nothing too giveaway-y... But please come up with a hint in case this sits stagnant for a day or two more...

;)

Baron

Ha....  I'd already thought of it as a possible solution, but never pursued it as "too obvious" (*kicks self*)

Spoiler
Rosangela Blackwell:  "Red Flower" = Rose, with angry birds inserted inside.  After that came "laboratory" = lab (confusingly split between two words!!!), without =lack, and water source =well.

Indeed, I am ashamed that I didn't get this sooner.  If only I'd seen that redacted hint..... >:( ;)
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Baron on Fri 15/05/2015 02:31:18
Ha....  I'd already thought of it as a possible solution, but never pursued it as "too obvious" (*kicks self*)

Spoiler
Rosangela Blackwell:  "Red Flower" = Rose, with angry birds inserted inside.  After that came "laboratory" = lab (confusingly split between two words!!!), without =lack, and water source =well.

Indeed, I am ashamed that I didn't get this sooner.  If only I'd seen that redacted hint..... >:( ;)
[close]
Perfectly correct of course!

Spoiler
Yeah, I was quite happy with the confusing split of "lab" between two words as I don't remember that particular trick being used before in this thread. This is also why I only listed the total number of letters instead of the number for each word ;)
[close]

In case anyone was curious, this is what the [REDACTED] hint said:

Spoiler
There are many varieties of the "red flower", not all of which are red. But the traditional image of the flower is of a red one.
[close]

NEEEEEEXXXTTTT!!!!

selmiak

Center of church signal buried by the cake period (5)

not even once did I solve one of these, but I tried to come up with a new riddle. It is probably too easy for you anyways.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk