AGS Cryptic

Started by Wyz, Mon 29/09/2014 19:08:21

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 17/09/2015 11:21:56
In short, a Shakespearean king, afraid of himself; in what you would definitely not keep valuables in.

Theme:  Retro Games (4,9)

Baron

Spoiler
Rosa Blackwell.  I'm not going to embarrass myself by publishing the mental gymnastics I went through to get to this answer, so I'll just call it a gut feeling. :)
[close]

Wyz

Spoiler

I'm going to say: Rick Dangerous
Short for Richard III would be Rick. The rest is only a guess, but it would match the word count and it is a retro game. :)
[close]
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

CaptainD

Wyz has got it!

Spoiler
"in what you would definitely not keep valuables in" - you would keep your valuables in a SAFE, and the opposite (more or less) of safe is dangerous.
[close]

Wyz

Here goes:

A swindling mythical being that lives in something it can not be. (14)
AGS related.

CaptainD

Spoiler
If it wasn't for the extra letter I would have tried to make this Conspirocracy... :confused:
[close]

Baron

Spoiler
I've got no guess, but I've been racking my brain for a "swindling mythical being".  So far I've thought of Puck, Odysseus (Ulysses), and the Loch Ness Monster.  At my most cynical I would list all deities, since they always seem to promise more than they can deliver, but let's keep this light and fun for now. (nod)
[close]

Wyz

Spoiler

Part of your solution is part of the actual solution, CaptainD.
And Baron: try to see that clue as two separate clues...
[close]

Baron

Quote from: Wyz on Sat 19/09/2015 16:20:25
A swindling mythical being that lives in something it can not be. (14)

Spoiler
  All right.  So we definitely know that "a swindling" = con.  Which leaves "mythical being that lives in something it can not be."  So I'm guessing we're looking for a word-paradox of some kind.  Where can you live, but an imaginary thing can't "be"?  Hmmmmmm....  Reality?  You can live in reality, but you can't be real if you are mythical....  Non-fiction?  Many mythical beings live more in the serious discussions of scholars than the fragmented stories about them that survive from lost ages, but since they are mythical they can not actually be non-fiction.  Thought?  Mythical beings are just abstract constructs, and therefore live in the thoughts of others.  But they can not be thought, at least not in a Cartesian sense ("I think, therefore I am"), since they don't actually exist.  None of this satisfies the letter count, so hopefully all this speculation lays the ground work for someone else to solve the puzzle. (roll)
[close]

Baron

I must be on to something; your silence is incriminating! ;)

Wyz

Whoops I've been a bit busy lately. :-[

Spoiler

You are definitely right about the con bit. Try to find a mythical being that fits together with that. The living inside is a lot less metaphysical though. ;)
[close]

Baron

I'm getting no inspiration so I'm just going to try to brute force it:

basilisk
bigfoot
brownie
centaur
cerberus
charybdis
chimera
cockatrice
cyclops
cynocephalus
demon
dragon
echidna
elf
ent
fairy
frankenstein
ghost
godzilla
golem
gorgon
griffin
grim reaper
hydra
imp
king kong
kraken
ladon
manticore
medusa
mermaid
minotaur
mothra
ogre
orthos
pegasus
phoenix
pixie
rodents of unusual size
sarlacc
sasquatch
satyr
scylla
sea goat
T-1000

:P

Wyz

hint: You should have kept going after the S.

Creamy

Spoiler
Control ...
[close]

CaptainD

Spoiler
"Inside something it can't be..." - inside the letters REAL?  Recontrol...al...???  Or maybe real is backwards - ... la... controller?  Can't get something with 14 letters though.  Or using a synonym of Real?
[close]

Stupot

Hmmm I'm unable to solve this (nod)

Wyz

Well you've almost solved it collectively. ;)

Spoiler

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 29/09/2015 22:09:27
"Inside something it can't be..." - inside the letters REAL?  Recontrol...al...???  Or maybe real is backwards - ... la... controller?  Can't get something with 14 letters though.  Or using a synonym of Real?

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 29/09/2015 23:27:31
Hmmm I'm unable to solve this (nod)
[close]

CaptainD

Ah....

Spoiler
Uncontrollable

Swindler - Con
Mythical creature - Troll
Inside what it cannot be - Inside the word "unable"
</hide]

Tricky!
[close]

Wyz

Correct! :D
and Correct! ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk