Minifeg: The Search v1.4 (MAGS SEPTEMBER 2014)

Started by Cassiebsg, Tue 30/09/2014 23:20:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

Minifeg: The Search
(Note: This game was made for MAGS (September 2014, theme "Cross-country")

In the search for his father, our hero, Minifeg, gets stuck in time when his newly built machine does not work as expected.
Now he must also find out how to return home.

Feature:
- Time travel through 7 different time lines!
- Lots of LEGO Bricks!
- 640x400 resolution and 32bit color depth.
- Special Guest star by Stupot+
- A crazy Wizard (sorta off)
- Classic puzzle solving and free exploration
- Useless dialogs, descriptions and interactions.
- 1 Sound track for each time line.
- Probably some bugs and spelling mistakes.
- Missing NPCs.

What does not feature:

- Nice GUIs
- Voice acting
- Sound effects
- Plot hole free
Spoiler

- Pirates
- Meet Rusty
- Interact with Bartender/Customer
[close]
- Will add more, if I remember.

Screen shoots:

DOWNLOAD HERE:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1834/

Version 1.4 (25th Jun.2015)
- Fixes Prince disappearing when the player exits the dialogue before
  getting the "how to pass the guard" solution.

Version 1.3 (27th OCt.2014):
- Fixes Music from Future time line not playing.
- Fixes bug that allows to get stuck in "the fence" by the Blue Palace.

Version 1.2 (5th Oct. 2014):
- Fixes crash bug by the discotheque.
- Fixes impossibility to pickup photo 2.
- Improved written English by Word 2003 spell-checker.

Version 1.1 (1st Oct 2014):
- Fixes the sword delivery problem.
- Fixes picture display at the ending cut scene.

About:

PS - Sorry, that I'm a bit late. I had everything packed and ready to upload, when remembered I needed to change the graphics for a picture (wasn't mine, and permission to use it did not come) so I had to create a photo of my own, change the graphics (took about an hour!), re-pack and upload (another 20min!).

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy it! :) Now to post on the site...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

Cool. Can't wait to play the final product. It's a really nicely done game. Happy to have helped out in a small way :-)

Ghost

You totally got me at "Lego"! :-D Very charming little game, well done!

shaun9991

Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

CaptainD

Looks awesome, despite the lack of
Spoiler
pirates
[close]
! ;-D

Cassiebsg

Yes, sorry about that.
I did not had time to add them.
There was this GUIs problem that got in the way and took a lot of unplanned time, until I gave up trying to fix it and surrendered to the built in default save/load functions... :(

BTW, there's a bug in the game that won't let you progress, so save often and use more than one slot!
I'll try and fix it, and up a version 1.1, in the mean time...

Bug solution:
Spoiler

Do not deliver the sword! Or you won't be able to return to this time line.
[close]

Mandle

Just completed the game and only needed one hint I'm proud/ashamed to say! And right at the finish line too...DAMNIT!!!

TOTALLY charming game and AMAZING that you could get it done in just one month!!! I was immersed and felt motivated the whole time to get to the next stage/era....

ABSOLUTELY LOVELY!!!

Cassiebsg

Thanks. :)

I've now created a version 1.1 that corrects the sword bug, and adds the see portrait at the ending (it was there, but I forgot that I couldn't interact with inventory objects, so now it's added to the ending cut scene.

Should I wait til the votings is done to upload it? Should I add the link on the side and leave v1.0? Should I just replace it, and do a log of what was added/changed?

AprilSkies

LEGOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Congratz for the release Cassie!

I love it!!!!!!!! ;-D

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Kitty Trouble

Another game-breaking bug I found (I'm just good at those, huh?)

Spoiler
If you talk to the guard about the prince, and then talk to the prince but don't finish the conversation about how to get past the guard, the guard won't let you in and the prince disappears forever
[close]

Shadow1000

I finished this delightful game.

I really enjoyed how you put together the different worlds out of Lego. The idea is brilliant and really achieved the effect you were after. The story is simple but engaging enough for a short game like this. Using the time machine as a means of travelling from level to level is very creative.

One thing you may want to revisit is that it's possible to hit a dead end by not completing a task in a level (such as finding a specific item) OR by completing the given task that can end the ability to complete the game if done too early. This should have been detected during testing. I had to restart once and reload a few times because of this. One easy way to prevent this is by stopping the player from leaving a level (a message such as "you are not ready to leave this level" or something).

There are a few scripting errors that allow you to do the same task even though it's been completed. The Quit option from the menu did not work for me; I had to click Restart and then Quit.

Finally, I recommend that you have the script reviewed and proofread by a native English speaker. The spelling errors diminished the polish of the game and there were some words that I just could not figure out because of the spelling.

Overall, a delightful experience that clearly took a lot of work. Congrats on a great game!

SHADOW

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 03/10/2014 01:17:45
One thing you may want to revisit is that it's possible to hit a dead end by not completing a task in a level (such as finding a specific item) OR by completing the given task that can end the ability to complete the game if done too early. This should have been detected during testing. I had to restart once and reload a few times because of this. One easy way to prevent this is by stopping the player from leaving a level (a message such as "you are not ready to leave this level" or something).

Thanks, I'm happy you enjoyed it. :)
I have fixed the sword delivery problem in v 1.1. Did you find other dead ends like these one? If so, please PM, so I can fix them.
I thought about that, but free traveling is more important for me than a "you can't leave just yet" type of msg. (Getting stuck in time is always a real possibility!) The problem here occurred that I tested by doing all that I knew I had to to do, ignoring all extra unneeded stuff... And am guessing my beta tester also forgot delivering the sword. :)

There are a few scripting errors that allow you to do the same task even though it's been completed. The Quit option from the menu did not work for me; I had to click Restart and then Quit.

Yes, I'll hide behind the "I'm just a beginner" excuse. ;)
I noticed the Quit option not working after the release, and have fixed it (not sure if it made version 1.1 or not though). That was a script fail, as I called the wrong GUI ( called the panel again, so the button looked like it did nothing). Oops. .
I've also run into problems with the editor... that seems like when I close a dialog, it does not save it automatically nor asks if I wish to save it. So I lost lots of dialog and corrections on occasions.

Finally, I recommend that you have the script reviewed and proofread by a native English speaker. The spelling errors diminished the polish of the game and there were some words that I just could not figure out because of the spelling.

See, if you read the game features, you'll see that's a feature... (roll) Not really, just had no time, it'll be fixed as soon as someone offers to do it.

But I'm glad you enjoyed playing it, despite all the mistakes. :)

I might add a few new time lines for version 2, just for that hard-core adventurer.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 03/10/2014 13:33:21

Thanks, I'm happy you enjoyed it. :)
I have fixed the sword delivery problem in v 1.1. Did you find other dead ends like these one? If so, please PM, so I can fix them.

Ok, I will! Just one other, I think.

I thought about that, but free traveling is more important for me than a "you can't leave just yet" type of msg. (Getting stuck in time is always a real possibility!) The problem here occurred that I tested by doing all that I knew I had to to do, ignoring all extra unneeded stuff... And am guessing my beta tester also forgot delivering the sword. :)

I completely agree, IF there wouldn't be dead ends. It's either the message or careful planning to make sure the user doesn't end up trying the same things over and over not realizing that he/she cannot progress.

Yes, I'll hide behind the "I'm just a beginner" excuse. ;)

Many first and second games for some developers are exceptionally good. When I finished my post last night about your game I thought to add that especially for a first game, this really stands out and especially for the amount of time you had to work on it.

See, if you read the game features, you'll see that's a feature... (roll) Not really, just had no time, it'll be fixed as soon as someone offers to do it.

If you plan to pursue a version 2 then I'd be willing to help. I don't know if you have interest in continuing the project as a sequel or a re-release of the original game.

SHADOW

Cassiebsg

No sequel, just a re-release. There's a lot of "missing jokes" and fun situations that I had thought of, but never got the time to implement. And I really would like to add a few extra language choices, voice acting and SFX... so, yes a version 2 :).
And if you really want to help out, just say in what. Would love to get help.

Stupot

I don't think this game needs voice acting. I think it's better without :-)

Retro Wolf

Stupot

Cassiebsg

Thanks for heads up, nice to see what other ppl think. :)

I do however think this line takes the cake:
Most of the puzzles are inventory-based and are quite hard,

And I thought I had done a straight forward easy little game. (roll)

CaptainD

Finally had a chance to look at this - nice little game! ;-D

Give me a shout if you ever do decide to voice it, would be more than happy to help out with a character or two.

Cassiebsg

Quote from: chaosgodkarl on Thu 02/10/2014 18:38:03
Another game-breaking bug I found (I'm just good at those, huh?)

Spoiler
If you talk to the guard about the prince, and then talk to the prince but don't finish the conversation about how to get past the guard, the guard won't let you in and the prince disappears forever
[close]

Oops, I seem to have overlooked this post! :~(
Sorry guys, the fault was me typing the wrong option number! I just corrected it and uploaded a new version 1.4! (nod)

sthomannch

Nice game (just finished it). I liked the idea to use Lego, well done!

Cassiebsg

josiah1221

I've really enjoyed this game so far, takes me back to when I was a kid :) The only problem is I'm stuck and can't figure out what do next. I browsed through the hint thread but apparently I haven't gotten as far as the hints suggested :/ Any chance of a walkthrough?

ollj

the idea alone to use lego minifigs and backgrounds for a point and click is nice enough to try.

Cassiebsg

josiah1221, am glad you are enjoying it.  :-D

Feel free to ask in the hint thread about your specific problem. That's what is there for. ;)
So, don't be afraid to ask!

I do have a "walkthrough" video I did, but isn't it more fun to try and figure out for one self?

Thanks, ollj! :) I needed something that I could do in a hurry, as I knew there was no way I was going to meet MAGS deadline if I had to hand draw everything.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk