Neofeud

Started by SilverSpook, Sun 05/10/2014 23:09:30

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverSpook

[embed=1020,630]http://youtu.be/VW3-skxPYAo[/embed]

A brand spanking new Neofeud trailer with tons more footage of the game!  Do check it out and share it around!  We're always looking for more potential patrons to help make Neofeud a reality.

Blondbraid

Looks awesome, love the dub-step music! Already shared it on facebook! ;-D

SilverSpook

Thanks a ton, Blondbraid!  Yeah I'd like to get this shared around to anyone possibly interested, so thanks very much for your support!

xil

This is looking really good mate :) I can tell by watching the trailer that a TON of work has gone into it.
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

SilverSpook

Thanks Xil!  Yes it's been a major undertaking but hopefully that will pay off soon!  I'm a big fan of the Calico Reverie games like I Am Jason, so that means a lot.

SilverSpook

Work in progress sneak peak of the latest and grandest piece of neofeudal architecture that's taking me a good week.  I think I've looked at every palace German, British, French, fantastical and science fictional known to Google Images and have settled finally on the style for the Clinton-Bush Dynasty / Trilateral / Illuminati / Bliderberg / EU headquarters.  Le Chateau D'Etat.  Coming soon, to a screenshotsaturday near you!  :)

selmiak

nice! Though it totally annoys me that the flagpole isn't centered and in symmetry with the rest :P  ;-D

Blondbraid

Gotta agree with selmiak there, otherwise it looks great in a very rococo sort of way! :)

AnasAbdin

Come on guys! He said work in progress :P
SilverSpook, Move the friggin flag >:(

SilverSpook

Thanks guys!

RE The flag: If I get to 5 Neofeud Patreon Patrons, I will 'move that friggin flag' to the center.  How's that sound?  :)

@Blondbraid: Yeah, I definitely watched me some Marie Antoinette here. :)  The princess character in Neofeud is actually loosely based on Kirstin Dunst's character in Sofia Coppola's film.  (spoiler alert: she gets her head chopped the **** off)

SilverSpook

The Fulcrum: a palace levitating above a megalopolis hovering above mass slum sprawl.  Home of the 1% of the 1% of the 1%.

Click here for the ultra-huge, 3000-pixel-wide version.Click the first pic for the ultra-huge, 3000-wide pixel version.

This took a week to paint, and now I have arthritis.  Now I know why Michelangelo almost quit the Sistine Chapel.

At any rate, I feel now, finally, Neofeud has at least visually lived up to the neofeudal name.  I was never happy with the initial sky-castle I made at the start of this project a year and a half ago.  But it's been a long and strange way back home, to that first image, and I feel my art skills have improved at least somewhat, and that first image would just be way out of place, especially given the importance of this particular, flagship scene.

Now I can rest.  For four hours. 

Then back to serfdom!

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

very much WOW! 8-0 :-D
Thanks for centering that flagpole  :-D

Though I'd screw the 3 doors and just give it one wide main entrance. Or move the pillars to the sides and widen the stairs, otherwise ppl coming out of the sidedoors are still stuck somehow ;)

AnasAbdin

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 13/08/2016 17:07:18
Though I'd screw the 3 doors and just give...

Now you're just teasing :P
Seriously spooky that is one massive background 8-0

SilverSpook

@Cassie: Glad you like it!

@Selmiak: thanks and you'Re welcome about the flagpole.  The palace it was based on had 3 doors like that, probably servant entrance/exits.  "I have one staircase to go up, one to come down, and one staircase just for show." :)

@Anas: Just like in the gym: Go big or go home, eh? :)

Blondbraid

Wow, just amazing! 8-0
Seems the elite of Neofeud literally have their heads stuck up in the clouds.
Is that upside-down pyramid at the bottom a nod to the Louvre as well?

SilverSpook

I had not initially intended to suggest the Louvre, but looking at it now, it definitely has a striking resemblance!  It would make sense as well.  I was more thing of an inverted golden pyramid akin to the one found on the back side of the American dollar bill.

Novus Ordo Seclorum.

:)

SilverSpook

Process shot for the making of a Neofeudal Sky-Palace.  I don't have every single step here, such as the adding of all the minute decorative details that are becoming a signature feature of Neofeud.  But you get the overall design process, and it is actually far more chaotic than it appears here. 

For example, I routinely just start sketching out random ideas and throw them away into a "scrap heap", then later come back and mix and match various bits of art to see what works.  I might have for example three different columns -- golden spiral, fluted marble, diamond-inlaid -- and just swap them in and out.  Stuff gets thrown in, stretched, warped, torn up and only segments used, etc...  It is not the most efficient process, probably, but I tend to always like the result when I just start moving jigsaw pieces around and something surprises.  For example, the golden "Illuminati" pyramid started out just as a piece of random skyscraper that I started perspective-warping into a diamond shape.  I liked the look, and eventually tried filtering it gold, flipping it upside down, and throwing about fifty hard lighting, additive, and other filters on it before settling on the final version. 

In addition, it takes ages, EPOCHS to finish one of these and I do them in 3000+ resolution, so I like to get as much mileage out by reusing visuals by having a bird's-eye-view scene, then several other zoomed in ones.  For example, a long shot of the palace itself as the flying cars/limousines are arriving for the REDACTED event and later a close-up when the REDACTED Princess is walking about in her garden maze / throwing gold coins about to the REDACTED, etc... 

Anyway, that's a bit of insight into the barely-contained insanity artistic process of yours truly. 

Cassiebsg

Lovely "behind the scenes" piece. (nod)
Just shows all the love, research and hard work you put into this!

Thanks for sharing. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk