Self (Short horror game from the creator of Lost in the Nightmare)

Started by Gord10, Mon 20/10/2014 17:41:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Gord10

Self is a psychological horror adventure game about the nightmarish world of a self-loathing man. The game is like an espresso; short, but intense. The story is definitely for adults who can endure playing a game about self-harm.

In-game screenshots

Cut-scene screenshots

Story
“Time” lost its meaning a long time ago.. And space, too. Between these four decaying walls, they became one with my soul.

Some things become meaningless when you hate yourself so much you want to die. Your accomplishments, loved ones, possessions… And who you are. All that remains now are your crimes and your disgrace. No pain you can inflict on yourself is strong enough to drown out your guilt.

Techical details
Game resolution is 1024x768.

It's made with pre-rendered 3D scenes (Source engine) and 2D game engine (Adventure Game Studio). 3D textures and models from leading Source games (Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Left 4 Dead) and FakeFactory Cinematic Mod are used while creating the rendered scenes. Garry's Mod also has been quite useful.

AGS's source codes has been modified so that it will support changing the audio clip playing speed in-game. That has been used for increasing/decreasing the speed of music at various scenes.

Download
Download .rar (210 MB) from GameJolt
Download .zip (240 MB) from itch.io

Website
Self @ Aslan Game Studio
Facebook page of Aslan Game Studio
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

bicilotti

Congrats on the release!
Is there any chance of getting a .zip file of this?
.rar are a mess to handle in some linux distributions (I am using Debian).

Stupot

Oh sweet. I'll try to lay this tonight.
Congrats on release Mr. Gord :-)

Cassiebsg

Is there a mirror that does not use Game Jolt? Doesn't work for me. :(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

I just completed it. The graphics are cool, the writing is interesting but somehow I expected more backstory or at least more clues on what he even did.

Are there multiple endings?
Spoiler

I couldn't escape from myself and that's the last he said.
[close]

Gord10

Thank you everyone! I am currently uploading a .zip archive to itch.io, so it will also be a mirror.

I left the gaps in the story on purpose. I want players to form their own theories about the backstory. I've left some subtle clues about what the Brotherhood is.

The game has another ending, too. It doesn't show credits, just quits after a short time.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Cassiebsg

That worked! :)
Many thanks. Looking forward to play it later on. :grin:
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

bicilotti

Thanks for taking the time to upload a .zip version! \o/
Will play now!

Crimson Wizard

Hello, Gord10.
Would it be acceptable for you to disclose your modified engine sources so that Linux users could build it for their system?
Optionally, would you let us to copy your new functionality to the main engine (it sounds like a useful thing)?

Gord10

Sure :) It would honor me if my codes were used. Nothing too much here, though, AC speed change is not implemented for wave, mod and midi.

Here is my own version of AGS 3.2.1.111. It would be splendid if you upload the compiled engine, so I can distribute the game with it :) To be honest I'm not good in Linux compiling, I consider myself lucky when I manage to run softwares in Linux, let alone compiling.

About what I changed in AGS;
AudioChannel has a SetSpeed(int) function now, 1000 is the normal speed here.
acsound.h, acsound.cpp, acaudio.cpp files are changed. You can simply search for "SetSpeed" and "set_speed" in the files to see what I've added.

Looking at the modification dates, you'll notice that some other files have been changed, too. Like Utilities.cs. The reason is, once I had added 1280*720 as a resolution, but then removed it back. It's irrelevant to the SetSpeed stuff.

ac.cpp seems modified, as well. I couldn't figure out what I changed here, it was probably about the resolution. I couldn't find any audio speed related stuff there.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Gord10 on Sun 26/10/2014 22:04:58
Here is my own version of AGS 3.2.1.111. It would be splendid if you upload the compiled engine, so I can distribute the game with it :) To be honest I'm not good in Linux compiling, I consider myself lucky when I manage to run softwares in Linux, let alone compiling.
Unfortunately, this is based on original 3.2.1 code, which was hugely incompatible with Linux. JJS, BigMC and others spent quite some time making it work back in 2012-13.

Quote from: Gord10 on Sun 26/10/2014 22:04:58
About what I changed in AGS;
AudioChannel has a SetSpeed(int) function now, 1000 is the normal speed here.
acsound.h, acsound.cpp, acaudio.cpp files are changed. You can simply search for "SetSpeed" and "set_speed" in the files to see what I've added.
<...>
ac.cpp seems modified, as well. I couldn't figure out what I changed here, it was probably about the resolution. I couldn't find any audio speed related stuff there.
The modifications may be easily detected with tools like WinMerge or KDiff, which do automatic comparison of two files or folders, so that would not be a big problem.

UPD. I checked the differences, on the first glance it looks like a simple addition, because you are using existing functionality from MP3 and OGG libraries.

UPD2. Works great! I think I'll change the script interface a bit, but overall, great idea, I believe people will have a lot of fun with it! :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk