A suggestion for the forum - need opinions

Started by OneThinkingGal and ._., Sat 29/03/2003 00:37:51

Previous topic - Next topic

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Hello :P I have teh proposal to make k.

There has been an increase in the number of competitions and collaborative activities lately. Which is good, because it means we're doing more things as a community. But the posts regarding these various activities are scattered over various forums.

I think it would be a good idea if we had a seperate section under the 'Community' area called something like Competitions and Collaborations or AGS Community Activities. Something along those lines. :)

This will have two effects:
1. The number of stickies in forums will decrease, and people will stop complaining about them.
2. It will be easier for people to find activities they might want to participate it. Right now, they're scattered around the forum.

The stickies in the Activities forum could be the currently running comps and activities. That way everything will be nice and tidy.  :P

Anyone have any opinions, positive or negative, on this?

Pumaman

Sounds like a good idea to clear up the forums to me -grouping competitions like the Sprite jams, Background Blitz, Photoshop Phriday and so forth all together.

cpage

BOYD1981

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Scummbuddy

Yeah, nice thinking. I noticed it, but I didnt think as far as to this.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Darth Mandarb

That's one thinkin' gal there!

Great idea!

dm

Las Naranjas

I think further affirmation is required, especially after CJ agreed.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

evenwolf

Sounds good, the only repurcussion I can think of is that this will encourage people to think of competitions simply because they want their own competition- and not because they have a good idea.  If that makes sense... like for instance- a few people will start really neat competitions- and then someone will witness the popularity of those threads and feel obligated to make his own considering an entire forum is devoted to the topic. So perhaps if there was some process of adding a competition, where a person must only post with moderator permission- or some sort of disclaimer before posting new threads.  Just an idea, maybe I'm being paranoid.
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Pumaman

EvenWolf, that's a good point - we don't want to over-milk the cow and have so many competitions that nobody has the time to take part in any of them.

The new forum rules should probably state that no new types of competition should be started without a prior thread in Gen Gen where a majority of forum members agree.

DGMacphee

Leave it up to moderators to approve to comps.

As for the idea, I'm against it -- just to be different! :)

Seriously, though it is a good idea but I think the current system is pretty good -- I think it's about time to get rid of some of the stickies.

Should I unstick a few threads such as Haiku, post your picture, and story project?

Tell me what you think -- should certains ones stay or should they go.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Heh, its more than Gen Gen DG. We have Mittens, the Team games and MAGs in Talk and Chat, the Blitz and Sprite Jam in Critics and the Writing project, Photoshop Phriday, Haiku and the Music comp in here. And periodically we have people coming up with things like small puzzle comps and short story writing, which aren't all that long running yet still fun.

That's a lotta activities scattered all over the place, wouldn't it be better to consolidate all this in one place?  

Even, I hadnt thought of that, but its very likely to happen! So yeah one or the other way of deciding which comps end up in there. Either method will work fine IMO. :)

Scummbuddy

I think Post your picture and A/S/L should stay here.  no ones competing over cuteness.... cause i won already.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

DGMacphee

OTG: Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great idea.

However, I also read Evenwolf's comments -- and he makes a very good point.

Such a forum might encourage a lot of stupid competitions -- and thus over-moderation.

Besides, we're bound to have competitions in their respective forums.

The thing is the competitions are already organised in such respective forums -- I can't think of one competition that doesn't belong in a particular board.

I think the problem is more or less the number of stickies -- perhaps we should just leave the competitions as unstickies.

I think we get too sentimental about such threads and thus we hold on to them, always leaving them at the top of the board.

Maybe it's time we moved on from our current posts.

Don't get me worng -- I love the Haiku and Post Your Pic posts.

However, maybe we should let them go and move on to better topics.

And it's not like we'd be deleting them and losing them forever -- just unstickying them so newer posts get priority.

Just a thought inspired by both Evenwolf and OTG's comments.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Pumaman

I think it's worth leaving the Post Your Pic as a sticky, because if we don't then in a couple of months somebody else will come along and start a new one, we'll all say "there's already one, search the forum" and so forth - so it's probably best left.

On the other hand, the Haiku one has probably outlived its time now.

As for competitions belonging in specific forums - to an extent yes they do, but there is inconsistency - like the sprite jams being here, and the background blitz being in the critics' lounge.

Also, having a central competitions forum might encourage more participation - for example from people who don't noramlly read the Critics Lounge and therefore don't know about it.

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Pre-emptive strike DG? ;) It MIGHT lead to a lot of bad comps, but it might lead to good ones too. I don't think CJ has picked any mods so far who have over-moderated thier forums, so I doubt that will happen.

CJ, the last few Sprite Jam's HAVE been in critics, although I think they originated here, but photoshop phriday and the music comp which seem to me to be somewhat related, are here.

And I don't think of it as entirely a comp forum, more of an activities one, whether competitive or collaborative.

LGM

I'll be happy to moderate the forum... Since I've been trying to moderate a forum for years.
You. Me. Denny's.

Pumaman

So long as we make it clear that it is merely a place to put existing competitions, and not an invitation for people make up as many as possible, it should be ok.

However I understand your concerns DG - it's like why there's no "Suggestions" forum in the Technical area, because I know it would just encourage people to post as many suggestions as they could think of.

Jimi

I'd love to moderate a forum! And if I did bad, you could always ged rid of me. It would be an experience to learn from!....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk