New game builder issues (since 3.4.0.2)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Tue 18/11/2014 10:46:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: monkey0506 on Mon 20/07/2015 06:31:13
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 18/07/2015 16:17:11EDIT2: I haven't yet learnt everything about how Build targets work, but I have the impression that some things there are unnecessarily complicated, such as composing output paths. I believe that build target should not need to define which path to build output in, but rather receive one from caller.

The idea behind this was that the caller shouldn't have to know anything about the build target in order to build it. Perhaps that was contrived or misguided, but my primary concern really was getting everything to work properly by that stage.
Yes, I see now, it is something different from what I originally thought.

Quote from: monkey0506 on Mon 20/07/2015 06:31:13
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 18/07/2015 16:17:112. Important changes to acsetup.cfg are not copied to final build folders.

The original rationale behind this was that the developer may wish to have separate configuration options based on the platform, so overwriting the platform configuration was intentionally avoided. Perhaps important changes (resolution, color depth) could be persisted without overwriting the entire config file?
It is never fully overwritten. The WritePrivateProfileString function that Editor uses substitutes entries in the existing files without affecting other entries. In fact, the Editor never written anything that could be modified by winsetup (except for default values into newly created file).

Following entries are updated:
- game size and letterboxed game flag
- game color depth
- game title
- default gfx driver (this equals to the Graphics Driver option in General Settings)

Crimson Wizard

Right, I forgot this:

5. user.ico issues: sometimes the icon is not applied to the built windows game. It does after rebuilding for the second time (maybe not always too?).
Interestingly, this occurs with legacy builder too.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 22/07/2015 22:04:14
Right, I forgot this:

5. user.ico issues: sometimes the icon is not applied to the built windows game. It does after rebuilding for the second time (maybe not always too?).
Interestingly, this occurs with legacy builder too.

Dammit, monkey_05_06, you know what was it?
It appears the Editor references engine exe icon by hard-coded ID number, not even by constant.
When I was rewriting Winsetup for 3.4.0, I cleaned up resources a little, and some constant changed...

E: The simple and dumb way would be to fix the constant, but I am going to do it smart way (:P) and enumerate existing icons in the exe instead.

monkey0506

I'm guessing that isn't anything I did...? Heh, glad to hear you were able to pinpoint it. I was digging through the native code previously and was pretty baffled by that one!

cat

Wow, does this mean the icon issue will be fixed with the next alpha? This is awesome!
Then I don't have any more excuses for not finishing the game ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk