Sprite Jam Dec 17 - Dec 25

Started by beeblebrox, Wed 17/12/2014 01:40:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Misj'

So Santa Claus is actually an American rip off of the Dutch children's festivity called: Sinterklaas. Being from the Netherlands it will therefore be no surprise that Sinterklaas if my favorite December-holiday because - let's face it - it's got letter-shaped chocolate. And who doesn't want his/her name to be spelled out in chocolate?

anyway, I present to you the man who started it all: Sint-Nicolaas.

I wanted him to be a really old man (because he's hundred's of years old) who was really leaning on his staff for support. Unfortunately I didn't have time for a walk-cycle, because it would have been really fun with all the follow-through (the cape, the beard, etc), and having to rely on the staff for support; really taking it one small step at a time.

Mandle

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Wed 24/12/2014 14:06:25
Inspired from Ponch and Durinde, I have decided to enter this competition:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/zwSbz0Q.png[/imgzoom]

Spoiler
Tried to replicate Ponch's lady but it didn't translate too well. I also removed that Santa's mask and gave her a rose instead. It can be further improved but I decided to stop at this point.  :)
[close]

* Mandle turns into a cartoon wolf with eyes bugging out of their sockets!!!

I<3Pindorama!

Very interesting your work Amy ... I'm no expert on saints, but the figure that you drew first sent me to the image of St. Francis of Assisi (tipped by some as the creator of the Christmas crib). But the fact of being next to a Roman centurion, makes me think of the possibility of be Jesus Christ carrying a lost sheep on his shoulders, in a clear reference to the parable of the "The good Shepherd".

In fact what most caught my attention is the inclusion of this woman...who is she?
Could be associated with the episode of "Healing the centurion's servant"? Actually don't think so...

Well... I'm not sure of their reasons and purposes, but in any case, really enjoyed the representation of a woman associated with a symbol of strength and power. On Christmas usually femininity is represented by Mary mother of Jesus which also has its values. Congratulations!

[delete}

@I<3Pindorama!
Many thanks for your kind words and knowledgeable interpretation.

Cassiebsg

Lovely sprites everyone. (nod)
Misj' when I saw yours yesterday it looked like something out of Discworld, with a young guy hanging on the staff.  I think I prefered the "original" as it was solo funny... but the old man looks awesome too. :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

beeblebrox

Lots of good posts, it was tough to choose.

And the Winners are ......

Misj'

aikex222

Cassiebsg 

It's your turn to host the next one Misj'

Misj'

Quote from: beeblebrox on Fri 26/12/2014 23:20:33
And the Winners are ......
Misj'

It's your turn to host the next one Misj'

WHOHOOOOooo! - Sinterklaas beats Santa ;)

As a bonus I worked on his walking-cycle (with some very quick shading). I really like the rowing-motion of his arms, but the animation of his cape is really terrible :D. Also, he only has a single animation for his left and right step...I decided to keep that because it kinda reminds me of the original lemmings animation. And to make him more reliant on his staff I added an extra still frame (with some movement in the shading) at the end of his step to make sure his walk wasn't too smooth. All in all, it's fun and quirky.

I'll think of a nice theme to continue the resurrected SpriteJam

cat

Congrats to the winners, such great sprites!

@Misj' Do you have that animation in a higher resolution? I know this competition was low res, but this sprite would probably look even better in high res.

@beeblebrox Thanks for resurrecting this competition!

Cassiebsg

Congrats to the winners and thanks for that special gift! :)
Lovely walk you got there Misj'! :-DNow... when is the game getting released? ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

aikex222

:shocked: didn't saw that i got a gift
thanks for that beautiful gray gift, congrats to the other winners
and thanks to all the competitors to make me try to do my best :grin:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk