Background Blitz - lost cities Winners announced

Started by aikex222, Mon 24/11/2014 22:57:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Oops...double post! Sorry!

Don't be upset with yourself, Mandle.
Thanks to you, I can submit one more picture, short before midnight it shell be again. Hopefully it is coming pretty close to the final one. I really could make a big jump till deadline and comparing to what I had posted at last time the last. And you got motivation out of your action, if this isn't something.

:-D But before I move on working and try to do as I said, a nice bubble bath awaits me. No stress, no rush.... everything flows easy along. That's how I like it.

EDIT:
HAH! What a slow net, but got it uploaded. And can put it here. Come come.... do it!

[imgzoom]http://u.jimdo.com/www75/o/sc60c47078e926a37/img/ic76c405a4dcc560f/1419899570/std/image.png[/imgzoom]

Jey! It did. Still not finished, but looking better. :-D
OK, for all sleepy heads, here is the place again. Gallery

Aaand I figured out how to make it zoomable.(laugh)

selmiak

I already like what I see when I look out of my cave window. The colorscheme of the mountains is very interesting!
Please finish this and also use such a cool colorscheme for the inside of the cave ;-D

Monsieur OUXX

aikex222

I guess is vote time :smiley:
all the discoveries will be exposed in the first page

Please vote for the best discovery in each category
   - Concept
   - Artistic Execution
   - Playability
and good luck everybody :grin:

Lasca

So many great bg's!
Is there anyway you can list and repost all competing entries in a post, so we could see them all together? Will make it a little bit easier to decide!
Impressive work everyone!

Monsieur OUXX

ALL ENTRIES IN THIS GIANT PICTURE (also in the first post)

Reminder of the topic and rules:
Always wanted to become someone like Indiana Jones and share your greatest conquests with everybody?
Then grab your hat and your whip and show us your marvelous discoveries!!

Your objective is to demonstrate the lost city that you have found in your journey, and tell us a little information about it. The background must be able to be used in ags

Voting Categories:
   - Concept
   - Artistic Execution
   - Playability

Images presented separately :

LostTrainDude          I<3Pindorama!

Cassiebsg              yakatakatulla

Monsieur ouxx             cat

Mandle                     adventuress

cat

Quote from: Lasca on Tue 30/12/2014 15:20:23
Is there anyway you can list and repost all competing entries in a post, so we could see them all together? Will make it a little bit easier to decide!
It's in the first post :)

Now for the voting - this is really hard, because there are so many great backgrounds.

- Concept That's a close one between Cassiebsg and Mandle, but I'll go with Cassiebsg because this background was finished.
   - Artistic Execution Another close one between Monsieur OUXX and Yakatakatulla. I decide for Monsieur OUXX because of the amazing pixel art with great shading and all the nice little details.
   - Playability This is a clear win for Monsieur OUXX's background with its obvious exits and the cross-thingy in the foreground that looks like it will open one of the doors.

aikex222

Spoiler
Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 30/12/2014 15:35:18
ALL ENTRIES IN THIS GIANT PICTURE (also in the first post)

Reminder of the topic and rules:
Always wanted to become someone like Indiana Jones and share your greatest conquests with everybody?
Then grab your hat and your whip and show us your marvelous discoveries!!

Your objective is to demonstrate the lost city that you have found in your journey, and tell us a little information about it. The background must be able to be used in ags

Voting Categories:
   - Concept
   - Artistic Execution
   - Playability

Images presented separately :

LostTrainDude          I<3Pindorama!

Cassiebsg              yakatakatulla

Monsieur ouxx             cat

Mandle                     adventuress

[close]

thanks Monsieur for the hard work of making that post :smiley:
i guess i should have done something like that :embarrassed:

Monsieur OUXX

I didn't copy the texts though. That's bad because they were supposed to be part of the entry.

Cassiebsg

It's really hard to vote, probably the part I hate most, cause I can't vote for everyone. >:(
Anyway...

Concept: Mandle I just love the hole idea and concept, and as a concept takes the take (even if unfinished).
Artistic Execution: I agree with cat, that this one is a tie... but my vote goes to Yakatakatulla. Because it's just so beautiful to my eyes!
Playability: This one I vote for Monsieur OUXX, cause I can already imagine the interactions in the center piece and jaguar head needed to be able to open that door!
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Gurok

Concept: Cassiebsg
Artistic Execution: cat
Playability: Monsieur OUXX
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

I<3Pindorama!

It is impossible for me to choose one and not feel
like you're committing a certain injustice.

Choosing is a real mental battle! The work is really impressive!
There is also a peculiar beauty in the process of creation ...
The steps of constructions ... overcome difficulties ...
A true exploration in the creation of each process!

First of all we must congratulate Aikex for generating this
possibility for everyone! In addition to impressive works,
is also a good performer of challenges! If there were awards
for best contest I sure would vote in this one.

Oh, man... there should be more categories
for each work carries a excellence in one or
more aspects.

Well, well, well my Michelle ...
  /
/

The reality is that they are 3 so here goes:

Concept:
Spoiler

LostTrainDude [ ]
Cat [ ]
Mandle [x]
[close]

Artistic Execution:
Spoiler

Cassiebsg [ ]
LostTrainDude [ ]
Monsieur ouxx [ ]
adventuress [x]
[close]

Playability:
Spoiler

Yakatakatulla [x]
Monsieur ouxx [ ]
Spoiler
I <3Pindorama! [ ]  :P
[close]
[close]

Stupot

Damn. This is hard to decide and on another day I might have gone different, but here goes.

Concept: Cassie
Artistic Expression: yakatakatulla
Playability: Monsieur OUXX

Mandle

Very tough indeed to decide on just one for each category, but here goes:

Concept: Cat (It's kind of a personal choice, but I live in Japan and often go cycling around the countryside at random. I sometimes find exactly these kind of "Spirited Away"-looking places and I just have to go in and take a look every time. For this reason I'm most intrigued by what lies just a bit further up that path. Still slightly curious how the broken Torii cross-beam could have fallen all the way out of that slot. But I digress...)

Artistic Expression: yakatakatulla (For me, this is the most beautiful of a beautiful bunch of backgrounds. It's also a great study on how to get the warm-light/cold-light lighting done just perfectly. Something I'm starting to work on learning myself and I will be referring back to this picture many times I'm sure.)

Playability: Monsieur OUXX (Mr. OUXX obviously has the upper-hand in designing a highly-playable lost-city background as he has been doing it for years now. At risk of ending up drowned in my own toilet, I suspect that this background is also a spoiler for one of the Seven Lost Cities Of Gold, and was thus designed with an eye towards its playability in a game which already exists. Nothing wrong with that of course. It just offers some insight on why this one was the obvious choice for me.I also wanted to tie it with yakatakatulla but didn't want to cause headaches for the host ;) )

Well done to everyone! Another great fun competition so thanks again to our host.

Also, despite not making the time limit, working on my own background kicked my ass into gear on my own project and as the concept for the background took shape it also helped to partially rewrite my game into a more workable structure (I hope)...

Good luck to all! And, in any case, now I will have two hats to wear so YAY!!!

What a flight.^^
Don't fly if snow is falling, it really is an adventure. And not much of fun, we were almost 24h on the go. The luggage were not so lucky. (roll)

What did I miss? Ah voting time... don't vote for me, it is really not necessary. (laugh)
@selmiak sure that's the plan.  ....Guys, I thought I could post it in the critics lounge later than.

EDIT:
A have rearranged my homepage, so the old link is not working anymore. It's getting it's place in competitions for a while. I do not know yet, if I wanna keep an archive like that for ever. But the closed log is staying their for a while.... howlite.jimdo. com, you can't miss it, hehe.

After I had some rest, I made the final preparations to give it all its textures and details. We see us, the two AGS projects are waiting for me. ;-D

GreenBeams

OK, here goes!

Playability -
I'm going to say Cassiebsg because there are so many doors, avenues and places to explore in the one screen. I'd be pixelhunting for a good long while to try and find that one, secret door that i could walk to!

Artistic Execution - I have to say Monsieur OUXX. I mean, come on! It's soooooo pretty and i MUST HAVE IT!!what? erm... yes, ahem, i'm sorry, what? It's a beautiful testament to all the years training and all the days spent painstakingly putting it together.

Concept - Mandle - the thought of something rising out of the sea to be played but always with that feeling that it may descend at any time... yeah, i like that, so i do!

Everyone's put so much work in on this and it's been great to watch and take part in. The losses of data,, the races against time and the final-hour stay of execution to get the work done... The whole thing's been like a story in and of itself =) Thanks so much to aikex222 for creating a wonderful competition! :-D

Lasca

Oh,must not forget to vote! This has been a real pleasure to follow and I just wish I could have participated. This is hard. So much talent!

playability
I think this has to be monsieur ouxx.  There's some great and interesting stuff going on in this image. Some tough puzzles forming in my head.

artistic execution
Definitely yakatakatulla. That bg is to my eyes what syrup and butter is to pancakes. I would play the s**t out of that game!

concept
This is yakatakatulla for me to. The combination of warm and cold and something hidden in the snow does a lot for me. Although I really liked mandles aswell!

Thanks for at great competion!

aikex222

12 pm GMT+0 votes will close.
So if you didn't vote yet this is our last chance :wink:

see you guys in a couple of hours :grin:

[delete}

aikex Blitz has evoked wonderful backgrounds.

Concept: Monsieur OUXX
Combining Mayan (Jaguar, stone disc) and Roman (aquaeduct, buildings) architectural elements is difficult, and he mastered it! An unknown culture seems fully believable in this panorama, conceived by a (French) grandmaster.

Artistic Execution: cat
I adore her rural Japanese forest, with the bright green-yellowish colors at the left, the old but intriguing torii to follow the path into the darker, mysterious right in bluish olive-green. Absolutely fabulous for an adventure playable by kids, and an artistic advance compared to the lovable Sheep Quest.

Playability: I<3Pindorama!
Regarding playability I vote for him, because his funny chicken scene with a little retro look is easy to adapt for the player: A low horizon, bold color fields for the palm and cave opening, and a nicely hidden huntsman behind coppice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk