Background Blitz - lost cities Winners announced

Started by aikex222, Mon 24/11/2014 22:57:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

There's some gorgeous stuff in here. I hope to see the finished products of the WiPs, some time soon.
OUXX, yours is awesome. Is that BG going to be in your Indy game?
Cat, I like your broken torii but I'm really intrigued to see what else was to be on the rest of the background.
Adventuress, this is looking like the start of something really special. I really hope to see the final version soon :-)
Cassie, that's one pretty surreal city you've got going in there. I'd definitely play a game based here.

Cassiebsg

I'm okay with an extension, I would love to see those BG finished or closed to it.  :-D

Thanks Stupot+, hopefully I'll get there someday. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Well if we speak strictly about it, we had started on 25th, correct or not? That would mean 5 days are missing to a whole month. But I think they were meant to be for voting. I don't mind, if we do an extension.

As for me, I still can only eat neutral food like potato. I don't even know, how fast I will recover. Maybe I'm not even able to make the visits. Mostly I just lay down. So nothing is save. Now, the official competition has ended, I can recover my whole system now. So or so or so, I am not able to use the whole days for sure. But anyway, it would be nice to have more finished products. How ever  :-D, we all knew about the time limit right from the start, hehe.

Do as you like, if OUXX and Yakata(...) not mind.  ;)

GreenBeams

I think an extension would definitely be a good idea to give everyone a chance to realise their cities  ;-D

aikex222

since a lot of people don't mind or want a extension then this background blitz will be extended until 29th december

Mandle

Quote from: aikex222 on Mon 22/12/2014 11:07:20
since a lot of people don't mind or want a extension then this background blitz will be extended until 29th december

Such awesome news! Now I MUST get mine finished!

Whuhuuu!
I have my system back. Well the real work is starting now, my browser was the first, which got installed. The rest is a matter of priority.

I'm happy for you Mandle. :)

EDIT:
-.- It looks like restoring will not work, time to format my mother board and clean every rubbish up. That takes time.... well that means no working on graphics which ever. I'm out the next time. Grrrr, and I had build up the half already again.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Armageddon on Sun 21/12/2014 03:18:23
Monsieur: Why are your images always scaled so they're blurry?

They shouldn't be blurry. That's the point of me scaling them up x3 (nearest neighbout). I do it myself so that there is no room for some random in-browser scaling up.
Someone has his navigator pages zoomed in! Bad, bad Armageddon! Are you sure you page zooming is set to 100%?

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 21/12/2014 09:14:39
OUXX, is that BG going to be in your Indy game?
I don't know what you are talking about. I'll have to send someone over at your place to drown you in your toilet bowl "by accident". Could you kindly send me your address in PM?

o.à” What got into you OUXX? Eaten a bad gingerbread..... ;)

'Somebody' unplugged the Laptop in process.
OK, I got it, it is just not meant to be! *shouting out loud into the sky*

[delete}

*sigh*
So little time for exploration this December... Won't get something finished. :sad:

cat

*bump*

Now that Christmas is over, I'm working on my background again. Don't forget to finish your backgrounds, too!

???
I'm shaking my head in disbelief. (wrong) What else? What else will happen? My backups are getting corrupted, I'm losing stuff right under my nose. Wouldn't I have some online storage places, everything of the last month work were lost for ever. 500gb hardware and not worth to use, great, simply just great. My motivation is at rocks bottom. I'm on the brink to become really angry, no chance to take it as funny any more.

Well at least the W8 is running as supposed to now.
:-\ Do anybody know a save online place, where I could make a backup of my own AGS project?
As long as there is the chance to save something. I really don't wanna lose the rest of it, too.

*grml*

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: adventuress on Sat 27/12/2014 17:00:51
:-\ Do anybody know a save online place, where I could make a backup of my own AGS project?
As long as there is the chance to save something. I really don't wanna lose the rest of it, too.
Create a Dropbox account. Problem solved! ;-D

Mandle

I got a bit more drawing and shading/texturing done tonight:

Still a lot to do over the next two days:

Notes to self:

* Finish the sketch
* Finish the shading
* Add lighting
* Draw lighting effects
* Add Colours

And probably much more that I will not get finished in time...

cat

Ok, I think I'm done. Here is the scaled down version of the background, click to see a larger picture (though it seems the image host scales down the full 1700x768):

What I've learned from this BG-Blitz: Painting a picture takes muuuuch longer than expected 8-0

Yeah, especially if something new is getting tried out. One month for experiments, tricky. But I remember well that somebody had posted the article 'Don't play it save'. :-D

Mandle

Wow Cat! That is heartbreakingly beautiful! Is it going to be part of a game you're working on? Please say yes!

Mandle

Got some more work done today, and pushing onwards. Here is what it looks like so far:

[imgzoom]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Mandle/LostCity16_zps1a708b1e.png[/imgzoom]

I have almost fleshed out the structure of the island of R'lyeh, but now I have a problem I will have to think on while doing the rest:

In the game I have planned the island will be at the bottom of the ocean but it will also be risen and above the waves at some point so I'm not sure how I'm going to light the scene.

Hehe...who am I even kidding? I'm not getting this finished in time anyways...

Maybe...

EDIT: And yes, this is actually exactly what the inside of my mind looks like...

cat

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 29/12/2014 01:09:41
Wow Cat! That is heartbreakingly beautiful! Is it going to be part of a game you're working on? Please say yes!
Thanks, but no, not part of a game. Considering how long this single background took to make, I'd only finish such a game when I retire (roll)

Btw, here is some kind of WIP of my background: WIP

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 29/12/2014 08:03:46
In the game I have planned the island will be at the bottom of the ocean but it will also be risen and above the waves at some point so I'm not sure how I'm going to light the scene.
You will probably have to make two different versions, the light and color is totally different under water.
I hope you will finish this great background and game!

Mandle

Quote from: cat on Mon 29/12/2014 11:03:53
I hope you will finish this great background and game!

Thanks for the kind words, but as you can see from my last post I am having a few...ummm..."difficulties" shall we say?

BUT!!! I shall press on despite the slow drainage of my Sanity Points. However, I will not be completing this background in time for the deadline. I feel guilty as I was the one who asked for the extension, but at the same time I am glad that an amazing background got into the competition because of it.

My background is still a work-in-progress but I decided not to rush it as it is going to be playing a major part in my current work-in progress-game and I want to get it just right.

I'm not sure if it can be accepted to run in this contest in its current state or not: It could conceivably be a background for a Cthulhu-themed game played entirely in a notebook of sketches from a person driven insane (heh...actually not a bad idea for a Cthulhu game)

Either way, I'm fine with the decision, but I'm submitting my last post's WIP background just in case it can compete.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn,
Mandle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk