JACK... Talkie version now available

Started by Slasher, Wed 03/12/2014 10:12:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

JACK...The hunt is on!

V1 VERSION

V1 (without voice pack) V2 (with voice pack) available next year.

***Talkie version NOW available.

Credits:
slasher: Creator, story, graphics and scripting.
Emont: Music.
Gurok: Part Testing.
Adeel: Part Testing and Voice of Jack
CaptainD: Voice of Charles Davonport
Mandle: Part Grammar / spelling
Frodo: Voice acting
Fitz: Voice acting
DuckyLady: Voice acting
monkey424: Voice acting
Radio David: Voice acting
HanaIndiana: Voice acting

During 1888 a series of gruesome murders was committed in the East End by who the police aptly named as the Ripper.

The victims were all prostitutes and all had been sliced up and various organs removed.

The police chief asks if you would help with their investigations to root out this evil killer.

You accept and start delving into this tragic case of murder most horrid.

You begin by meeting the police chief at the mortuary to view the Ripper's latest victim: Mary Jane Kelly.

Check out police suspect reports, view victims autopsy reports...

Can you discover who the Ripper is and above all: can you catch him?

Start your journey into the Ripper murders and try to solve this historic case.

Download

slasher

Gurok

Congratulations on the release! I think this is your best game yet, but we NEED the voice pack :D.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

monkey424

Cool! Downloading..

Hopefully I'll get time to play it this weekend! ;)

Frodo

Congrats on releasing it  :grin:

CaptainD

Didn't realise you were going to release without voices first!  Congrats on the release. :smiley: 

Stupot

Well done on release, mate. You're a machine. I'll check it out soon. (nod)

Shadow1000

I'm really enjoying this game! You've really done a great job on the play system and the environment and giving a good air of mystery.

A few spelling errors you might want to correct if you are working on another release:
Spoiler
Shakespeare, coming, broken, wonder (rather than 'wander'), procedure, according, exquisite, colourful
[close]

Some small oddities/inaccuracies you might want to change:
Spoiler
Chanel No. 5 was only introduced in the 1920s. DuMaurier is a Canadian, not French brand
[close]

I also am experiencing a crash
Spoiler
when I check my notes after delivering the fish and chips. I am much further in the game and I cannot check case notes still
[close]

Otherwise, well done!

SHADOW

Slasher

Hi Shadow,

Made text changes ;)

Getting / giving fish and chips does not cause the case notes not to open up (or crash) .. not in my game anyway.

*** Revised edition now uploaded.

For version with voice pack: voices still required.

cheers

Shadow1000

Quote from: slasher on Fri 05/12/2014 06:31:34
Getting / giving fish and chips does not cause the case notes not to open up (or crash) .. not in my game anyway.

I should have specified that the crash occurs when you advance to Page 2. I haven't been able to use the case notes ever since that point in the game. The whole game just turns off.

SHADOW

Slasher

Hi,

I'm checking this out.

cheers

EDIT: I can't replicate case book crash. It works every time changing pages.

Just for ref: DirectDraw no filters.

TassieDevil

Should be in hints, but well...
Spoiler
I am stuck at Lord Busby's House. The only hotspots are bushes (nothing) and the door; he isn't home and no other location I need to go back to. Inventory or other available info doesn't seem to help.
[close]

Shadow1000

I finished the game. Here are my comments:

JACK brings the player back to Victorian England on the hunt for the notorious Jack the Ripper. Playing as Detective Charles Davenport (whom you may know from Deadly Consequences), follow clues, solve puzzles and use intuition (and your nose) to track down the infamous killer. I would describe this game as being slightly shorter than a medium-length game.

WHAT I LIKED

- The graphics created a great feel for this murder mystery. They really captured and put the user in the environment. I happen to be a big Sherlock Holmes fan and this game seems to try to capture the feel of the time period and the Sherlock Holmes games.
- The puzzles, while simple, were fun and well-designed. The plot was captivating. I feel that the ratio of puzzles to plot was good and the plot was appropriate for the length of the game.
- Music scores fit well. I think I recognized at least one from Deadly Consequences?
- Great mixture of dialogue and inventory based puzzles.
- Attention to detail is something that really must be noted. The suspect and victim lists with all their details, the navigation and play system really show a lot of careful design and planning.

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE

- The script should have been reviewed by someone who speaks English as a first language for spelling and punctuation. I pointed out seven spelling errors and as I kept playing I encountered many more. To many players, spelling errors really remove the polish from a game that looks like a lot of work and effort went into the attention to detail. Even loading the script into a word processor with a spell check would have caught almost all of them.
- I was unable to use the Case Notes for about half the game. (see above - I did not have any filters on; I used the default settings)
- There are some areas that could be tidied up, such as hotspots marked "Hotspot 13"

SOME RANDOM THOUGHTS

I found the fact that you limited the player's choices of Locations to those that have tasks to be completed interesting. Personally, I happen to like the fact that this focuses the playing time on solving puzzles and completing missions rather than wandering. Some people may criticize this gameplay as making the game "easy" or "linear" because it removes your choices. I happen to prefer this style because I get bored when games are more "open", simply meaning that you spend oodles of time wandering and repeating actions just in case you missed something rather than progressing. Just my feeling.

I also thought that the navigation system was interesting. Rather than a walking-based navigation where rooms lead to another room, all rooms
Spoiler
with the exception of the theatre and a bit at the beach
[close]
are one-room locations and the player navigates by choosing from a list of locations. This is neither good nor bad, just an interesting navigation system.

CONCLUSION

I feel that JACK is well worth playing for anyone who likes mystery style games who wants to play an almost medium length game. It's a bit easier than many comparable games, making it a great choice for players who are newer to the adventure genre. A bit of cleaning up of some detail could improve this game.

Personal note to Slasher: I've been playing your games ever since the Elf series 2 1/2 years ago and each one is a marked improvement over the previous one. Congrats on your persistence and achieving the ranks of a skilled adventure-game developer. I'm looking forward to your next release.

Good job!

SHADOW

Slasher

Thanks for your mixed comments Shadow ;)

Not everyone speaks the 'Queen's' English,  but duly noted.

'Case notes' should only be unavailable when a boolean returns true: which is near the end.

'Locations' are no longer available after a certain location is reached.

JACK will be regularly updated and revised until V2 (with speech pack) comes out next spring.

Feedback / opinions help make better games  (nod)

Cheers

slasher

Slasher

JACK...The hunt is on!

*** Talkie version available mid June 2016.

Mandle

Bring it!!!! I so want to replay this game as a talkie!!!

Fitz

Can you make that June 16? Would be fun to have my voice acting debut in a game on my birthday! :-D

Blue Bee

Being a bit of a ripper-nerd I loved this!

Well done.

Slasher

Hi

JACK The talkie version

Even though it was first published over 18 months ago i am releasing the talkie version as a homage to all those who helped make this game possible.

slasher: Creator, story, graphics and scripting.
Emont: Music.
Gurok: Part Testing.
Adeel: Part Testing and Voice of Jack
CaptainD: Voice of Charles Davonport
Mandle: Part Grammar / spelling
Frodo: Voice acting
Fitz: Voice acting
DuckyLady: Voice acting
monkey424: Voice acting
Radio David: Voice acting
HanaIndiana: Voice acting

It was made at a time when i had computer error after error and only 50% volume so it was a wonder i got through it at all.

Anyhow, for those that wish to enter the world of JACK with voices here is the link:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1856/

Good hunting :)

CaptainD

Grats mate!  I know how long a road this has been for you to travel ;)

Fitz

This is fun! I'm not much of a sleuth, but I seem to be progressing rather smoothly :-D I don't know much of the Ripper lore, so I might be missing subtle touches, but the story so far is gripping, with enjoyable twists and turns. And hearing myself as one of the characters was an added bonus.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk