Indiana Jones and the Gold of Gengis Khan (Indiana Jones e l'Oro di Gengis Khan)

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Sun 14/12/2014 22:35:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Andail

As long as people stick to the topic, and don't resort to personal attacks or just pointless flaming, then feel free to have heated discussions. There's no rule that everybody must be friends and always say positive things. Providing and receiving criticism is a huge part of being creative, so we should take every opportunity to practise it.

Like Snarky said, there's plenty to learn even from a blunt and poorly elaborated comment such as Jen_78's.

Cassiebsg

I wasn't going to add anything more to this, but I just have to make a little comment here, sorry :-[ :

Quote from: Gabarts on Tue 06/01/2015 20:35:25
When I play a game and I don't like it, I don't go in a forum or the game site, complaining and saying this is bad, no thanks, deleting the game... I just delete the game.

I'm on the side of "bad criticisms" is still better than no feedback at all.

Ranting:
Spoiler

Cause at least you know what some think of your game/art/etc, and you can either go the "I don't care, this is how I do it, and if you don't like it it's not my problem" or or can go "Oh! That's why? What can I do about it? Can I make it better? Can I avoid this in the future, even if I don't change anything in this version?" etc.
I know we all want a pat on the back, with a "great job, that's great..." and hear how we are genius... but lets face it, most of us aren't genius, we just do the best we can and hope that's good enough, and then try to do better the next time.
That's all we can do and criticism goal is just that, to help up get better.

However we seem to have been raised in the "if you have nothing good to say, then say nothing" world... which is really a shame, cause it's stopping us from growing and be better...
[close]

Now back to our favorite Indy? (nod)

EDIT: Please PM if you also need the feel to rant. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Michael2968

I am at the point of the game with the
Spoiler
seagul and I have the 2 flowers and the bread crumbs. I know I need to get a fish and an apple but I'm not sure how to get them.
[close]
I would appreciate if someone could give me a hint.

Thanks,
Michael

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Michael2968 on Thu 08/01/2015 22:07:32
I am at the point of the game with the
Spoiler
seagul and I have the 2 flowers and the bread crumbs. I know I need to get a fish and an apple but I'm not sure how to get them.
[close]
I would appreciate if someone could give me a hint.

Thanks,
Michael

Dead on hints...
Spoiler

Check the pole (near the seagull) for the fish and the fruit stand (pixel hunt) for the apple (it's green).
[close]

Hope it helps. :)
Spoiler
[close]

Michael2968

Thanks for your help Cassie. I now have
Spoiler
the fish, the crumbs, the two flowers and the worm. I've combined the flowers with the crumbs and the worm and fed both mixtures to the seagull but I'm not sure what to do next.
[close]
If anyone could give me a hint in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Michael

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Michael2968 on Fri 09/01/2015 12:27:37
I've combined the flowers with the crumbs and the worm and fed both mixtures to the seagull but I'm not sure what to do next.[/spoiler] If anyone could give me a hint in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Another dead hint:
Spoiler

Try mixing a bit more... ;)
[close]

Michael2968

Thanks again Cassie I appreciate all your help. That
Spoiler
puzzle with mixing things did seem to be the hardest part of the game for me. Do you know how to get the highest score in the game? I got a score of 90.[/hide}
[close]

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Michael2968 on Sat 10/01/2015 02:25:33
Thanks again Cassie I appreciate all your help. That
Spoiler
Do you know how to get the highest score in the game? I got a score of 90.
[close]

@Michael
Spoiler

No, I got 80. (roll)
Did you got the book?
[close]

Michael2968

Hi Cassie if you mean
Spoiler
the book in the first room then yes I did get that book
[close]
When you were on the
Spoiler
roof did you open both trap doors after you fell down and died in the first one and restored?
[close]

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Michael2968 on Sat 10/01/2015 14:42:34
Hi Cassie if you mean
Spoiler
the book in the first room then yes I did get that book
[close]
When you were on the
Spoiler
roof did you open both trap doors after you fell down and died in the first one and restored?
[close]

Spoiler

Yes, that's the book I was talking about... I never got it. :-[

Oh?! Didn't know it was possible to die! 8-0
So no, I only opened the second one... not cause I was "clairvoyant" or had a feeling... I just happened to be at the 2nd one when I figure out how to open it, and then got in... did wonder why there were 2 and if I had missed anything there... now I know. (laugh) Good thing too, cause I hadn't saved... (roll)
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

This is so frustrating. I wish Gabarts would send us the sources so that the comunity could fix all the bugs EDIT: most bugs fixed in version 2.5 and insert the relevant hints where appropriate.

Gabarts

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Sat 10/01/2015 17:03:14
This is so frustrating. I wish Gabarts would send us the sources so that the comunity could fix all the bugs and insert the relevant hints where appropriate.

Which community are you talking about? The team of Indiana Jones and the Seven cities of Gold? Why are you so interested in the source code? You started this thread complaining with a shopping list of possible bugs and you go on and on. I've kindly sent the source code to one of your team, he asked me privately for that (don't know if he has received anyway). Relevant hints?!? If you weren't able to finish the game in 1 hour, well, it's not bugs but pretty decent puzzle design, I would say.

The new version of the game has no pixel hunting anymore, then all hints have been found, I really cannot understand your noisy complaining Monsieur.

To finish the game 100% you need to use the Shears with the clothes. That's all.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Gabarts on Sat 10/01/2015 19:13:08
Which community are you talking about?
I just meant the AGS community. I suppose the person to whom you sent the code is selmiak? Well we have a project in common but don't worry, if you've sent him the source code privately, he didn't share it with me (and that's perfectly normal). I didn't even ask him because it's your decision and nobody else's.
I'm interested in the code to help fixing the bugs you said you couldn't fix ("use X on Y", background speech, no unhandled interactions EDIT: most bugs fixed in version 2.5, non-skippable cutscenes, etc.) but if you think that's irrelevant then it's none of my business and I'll stop complaining.

=======

Hints&Tips topic :
Spoiler

Out of sheer curiosity, what is the hint that tells you that mixing the two flowers is a deadly mix? Is it something from the Italian popular culture? Like every Italian kid knows that mixing those flowers is toxic? For example, in France we know that thrush is very toxic and shouldn't be in a home with kids or pets.
Or is there an in-game hint about mixing the flowers?

[close]

Gabarts

Monsieur, I'm more interested in this problem at this moment. Check this forum thread, it seems like a compatibility problem between XP and Windows 7.

FORUM italian

The point C written by UtDefault user. Weird problems that I never experienced. Maybe is related with the 16-bit thing compatibility...

As for the bugs, sorry, I tought you found new ones... those have been all solved, i updated the game 2 times recently. I managed to solve, there was a mistake in the code. Now it's version 2.5

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Gabarts on Sun 11/01/2015 12:53:07
The point C written by UtDefault user.
Well to me that's the weirdest thing in your game : you use the "pick up" action as "use with". You keep saying it's a bug in AGS, but it's most likely simply a bug in the end-user scripting (i.e. you or the guy who made the Verbs module you're using) of the Verbs interface. I would be very surprised if it wasn't just a confusion at some stage between "eModeUse", "eModeInteract" and "eModePickUp" somewhere in your interface scripting.

I'm pretty sure someone experienced with AGS could fix that rather easily. If not, I shall apologize thoroughly. I strongly recommend you send your source files to someone you trust and who is a bit experienced with not only AGS, but specifically with AGS scripting.

AprilSkies

(prolly the tech forums are more suitable for this... but anyway...)

I already helped Gabarts giving him a simple script for making a 9 buttons combination (that I think he used in the last puzzle).

So, if you like, Gab, I'm available to handle your entire project and fix stuff. I'm quite experienced in AGS Scripting :-D

What's is really important is that you build a issues/bugs/glitches tracker to figure out all the stuff to fix and "how" to fix it (for "how" I mean the expected behaviour). It could also be a simple table with bug ID, room, what happens, what should be the correct behaviour.

And talking about this I think that, a Scripting guy aside, you really need to find experienced agsers who plays your game and help you to figure out what's wrong. As Monsieur OUXX pointed out here and in the game thread, it's not only "bugs". I see the effort you're putting in fixing "bugs", but I think that there are other things that need to be fixed.
This is why I suggest to find experienced agsers that plays it: for "expeienced agsers" I mean guys who knows what a "good game experience" is and what should be the right behaviour of all the stuff. For example, reading this thread it's clear that what an ags veteran (MonsieurOUXX) found "weird", it seems not so weird to you.
Trust in agsers. If they'll suggest you that a puzzle, an interaction or a dialogue makes no sense, fix it. Those things are even more important that fixing "simple" bugs. Those are what Monsieur OUXX called "pseudo bugs".
Collect all the issues they find, sum them up in a table and write down "how" to fix. Then me (or someone else, not important) will easly fix. You're using a simple 9 verbs, with only one "custom script (the combo-puzzle I gave you), so an expert AGSer will fix it in a blink of an eye.

Monsieur OUXX also pointed out that this game has potential (and it's also about our favourite hero), so it's a pity to spoil the game experience with not properly polished stuff.

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Gabarts

As soon I have time I'll send you the source, I really don't know, I started from the DEMO game and build all over that... :)

Cassiebsg

{quote]
use the Shears with the clothes. That's all.
[/quote]

May I ask what that accomplishes? It's not needed to finish the game, and I can't see why Indy would do that (am assuming you're talking about the clothes hanging on the rooftop...
Just curious, that's all. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk