Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure

Started by Mr Underhill, Wed 17/12/2014 10:39:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: Mr Underhill on Tue 26/09/2017 19:21:50
But heck, I made a whole animated video about this, check it out :D

I already did. I believe my original criticisms of the same points might have been the reason for this video. :P

But awesome work on the game and good job at keeping with it all this time! Anything from true fans that brings the world closer to the brink of the awakening and return of The Great Old Ones more Lovecraft is always a good thing!

Mr Underhill

Mandle, you'll have to forgive me, I am old and my memory is feeble and I'm the kind of guy who tells the same joke to the same people until someone stops him :-D

Blondbraid, true! Was just listening to this beautiful thing:

...and there's a part where the actors reading it discuss exactly that, how even in his 20s the man knew himself and his style so well that he would self-parody himself in writing. Granted, that doesn't mean that it's an easy task for a rube like me to successfuly mix comedy and cosmic horror together... But I am encouraged by the fact that I feel I've found my voice with it and writing comes naturally. This does not make it necessarily good, it merely makes it not disjointed, but that's an important step to feel you have conquered when you mix such radically different alchemical elements together. Really curious how the beta will be received from a writing standpoint :)

Mandle

Quote from: Mr Underhill on Fri 29/09/2017 15:51:07
Mandle, you'll have to forgive me, I am old and my memory is feeble and I'm the kind of guy who tells the same joke to the same people until someone stops him :-D

Hahaha... no worries... I remember being a bit rude in my evaluation of the game at that point... sorry for that...

(Hidden to avoid being seen as an advert for another game)
Spoiler

By the way, have you checked out "Chronicle Of Innsmouth" at all?

It's an AGS-made Lovecraft game. Also mixes comedy with the horror mythos but in a disjointed way: The comedy is early on in the game and then fades out as the horror factor ramps up.

It's on steam and I believe that the fully voiced deluxe edition is available now. (Or, if I'm wrong, will be soon and free to anyone who downloads the original version).

Just thought you might be interested in checking it out as a way to blend comedy and horror. I'm not saying it's the only right and/or perfect way, but quite a few reviewers have found the mix pleasing (and a few have not as well)...
[close]

Mr Underhill

Yes! Bought it right when it came out, only got to play about an hour and haven't really had time to touch it since, but looking forward to it!

Mandle

Hidden to avoid derailing the thread:
Spoiler

Quote from: Mr Underhill on Fri 29/09/2017 18:20:28
Yes! Bought it right when it came out, only got to play about an hour and haven't really had time to touch it since, but looking forward to it!

I think if you check your Steam account you might find you can upgrade to the fully voiced deluxe edition for free...

Or, if not now, then soon.

I would highly recommend doing so because the voicing is very good and adds so much to the game experience.

(And it took me many flasks of midnight oil to track down "all" of the actors' misreads and correct the text to fit.)
[close]

Mr Underhill

Hey, it's not a problem, really. I'm all for talking adventure games and Lovecraft in general in this space (I don't think there's enough interest to warrant a separate thread... OR IS THERE? (laugh))
Personally I'm still salty Agustin Cordes' The Case of Charles Dexter Ward didn't make int on Kickstarter back in 2014. I understand people felt it was wrong to double dip before delivering on Asylum, but it's still a shame.

With the official Call of Cthulhu video game delayed until next year, what I'm really, really, REALLY looking forward to and buying day one is The Sinking City. Granted, not really an adventure game, but we can't really be that picky :)

Mandle

Quote from: Mr Underhill on Sat 30/09/2017 11:54:14
(I don't think there's enough interest to warrant a separate thread... OR IS THERE? (laugh))

The admin will probably decide that if the time comes ;)

Have you tried the "Elder Sign: Omens" computer game based on the original board game?

I've watched Let's Plays of it on youtube and it looks like an absolute must for Lovecraft gamers!

Again, not an adventure game, but has elements that will appeal to adventure and RPG gamers I feel.

Mr Underhill

No. Sadly my game playing has been reduced by a whopping 80-90% (yes, really!) just by working on Gibbous. Gonna have a lot of catching up to do once we're done with this thing! :-D

Mandle

Quote from: Mr Underhill on Wed 04/10/2017 12:25:12
No. Sadly my game playing has been reduced by a whopping 80-90% (yes, really!) just by working on Gibbous. Gonna have a lot of catching up to do once we're done with this thing! :-D

I know the feeling, but a day off now and then to just play games is a really important thing for a game dev I feel.

Don't get out of touch with the very thing you are creating.

Mr Underhill

One day I'll get my hands on that Ben Chandler and yank out of him the arcane knowledge of both outputting a ton of good art AND playing tons of games. Oneee daaaay...

Blondbraid

I just found this image and came to think about this game with the mix of comedy and Lovecraftian horror :) :

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 09/10/2017 10:57:21
I just found this image

and I suggest you put it carefully back where you found it and place a large rock on top of it. :P

Mr Underhill

We weren't exactly happy with our previous main menu screen, so I've overhauled all the graphics and now they parallax-scroll in what I dare say is a pretty sexy way.

Yay!

selmiak

awesome.
I'd even go as far as making the green light from the necronomicon pulsate in brightness (or flicker or whatever) and also on his face and the people on the foreground and/or some smokey chimneys in the background :)

Mr Underhill

Yeah, adding some real lighting is in the plan, plus some extra layers, but  we're focused on pushing out the beta build asap, so those nice to haves will probably have to wait til release proper :)

Frodo

WOW!  :shocked:

I loved it before, but this new screen is just AMAZING!  :cheesy:

Fantastic work!  :grin:

Blondbraid

Mr Underhill

Thanks, guys! :) Now back to my 102-point revisions list for the beta build... :-[

Mr Underhill

While the rest of the team is busy putting the final touches on our beta build, I've been writing so many additional hotspot descriptions that taking a break and making a quick custom pick-up animation felt like a real fun distraction :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk