Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure

Started by Mr Underhill, Wed 17/12/2014 10:39:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Underhill

Thanks! Well, to be honest, had I had to make it by hand in clay I wouldn't've even considered the possibility.
Back to making the demo. Have a good one everyone!

Mr Underhill

So guys, here's a sneak-peek look at our demo. Pre-alpha, everything still being tweaked... What do you think?

Fitz

Looks great -- and sound great, too. One thing, though: might just be me, but the walking speed seems a bit too slow compared to how fast the legs move.

KodiakBehr

Looks terrific.  Watching your animation process is mesmerizing. 

CaptainD

Looking good, would lose most of the just walking around right at the start unless you're going to have logos fade in and out over it.  Also cut out a couple of the Look responses when you turn it into a proper demo to make it slightly more zippy.  (I know, you've probably already thought of that, but you did utter the fateful words "What do you think?", so it's your own fault. ;)

It might not be intentional, but I LOVED the way the cat pushed the player character by walking into him!!! :grin:

Mr Underhill

Thanks! Oh, this is just a screen capture I did real quick to get feedback on animation, mostly. I'm very much aware the movement stuff is not up to par, so definitely scratching those and starting over. Thing is, we started out initially with puppet animation in mind, then hybrid, so a lot of stuff got lost in translation and it's really a bad mix of techniques I need to get rid of and do everything frame by frame from the start. It'll slow us down a little, but it really makes no sense having better secondary animations than the ones you see all the time, does it? You can tell we're first time devs, what can I say  :-[

Yeah, wasn't expecting the cat to push me, but it is somewhat in character, she's a little bully :-D

It feels good sharing with people who make or play adventures or do both, it really put the whole animation not being good enough into perspective, can't wait to skip domestic chores tomorrow and head straight to the office to start animating :)

CaptainD

Quote from: Mr Underhill on Fri 15/05/2015 21:28:07
can't wait to skip domestic chores tomorrow and head straight to the office to start animating :)

I hope your missus doesn't scan your activity on these boards... :X

Mr Underhill

She's also an animator and music composer on the project, so we're skipping together, yay! :-D

CaptainD

Quote from: Mr Underhill on Fri 15/05/2015 21:49:57
She's also an animator and music composer on the project, so we're skipping together, yay! :-D

Wow you've really struck gold there!

To get back on topic though... this game looks awesome so far. 

Mandle

LOVE the trailer!!!

The cat IS a little pushy (pun intended)...

Just one thing:

YOU HAVE THE FREAKIN' NECRONOMICON IN YOUR INVENTORY!?

I'd imagine this is just for game-testing and that you don't actually start out in possession of the book (or vice versa :P )

That book HAS to be hidden behind several mind-boggling puzzles before you can lay hands on it!

Mr Underhill

Thanks Mandle! Yep, that is the dreaded Necronomicon, but there's an explanation - the demo isn't actually the beginning of the game, it's a little more into it. And there's nothing to say it won't be disappearing again at some point ;) Also, what could be more fun than having something that can bring the dead back to life in your inventory? Muhahahaa!

In dev news, working on hard on rough animations for Buzz's new walk cycles, I really want to get them right this time, have the proper amount of bounce and get rid of the stiffness. It's a little hard to balance with commercial work, but we gotta pay the bills, and that makes me appreciate working on Gibbous even more.

Mr Underhill

Wohoah, it's been a while since I posted in here! Well, we've been busy-busy-busy working on the demo, which is done and will be public VERY soon.

In the meantime, we got ourselves a fancy website:

Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure official website

...and a Kickstarter teaser:

https://youtu.be/4VBMyzhFeE0

Let me know what y'all think! ;-D

Cassiebsg

Was starting to think you had left us... 8-0

Trailer looks awesome and funny. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

shaun9991

I've been keeping my eye on this for ages, really looking forward to it! I will be throwing some money at your Kickstarter :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Mr Underhill

@Cassie: Nah, just been working really, really hard on the demo, and lately on the Kickstarter shebang :)
@Shaun: Thanks Shaun! We can't really say the date yet since we need our campaign to be approved and some other bureaucratic stuff, but it's drawing REALLY close.

Mr Underhill

Alrightey, folks, demo will be live INCREDIBLY soon, but until then feel free to check out our draft campaign page, and leave some feedback (either here or there, it's all good):

http://tinyurl.com/gn54xq3

Looking forward to your thoughts and critiques.

shaun9991

Your Kickstarter page looks amazing! I can't wait for the demo!! :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Fitz

Dark, yet intensely saturated graphics? Ominous kittens with an attitude? And best of all: puns! Shut up and CLAIM MY SOUL, OH MIGHTY OLD ONES!

The trailer got me from the get-go. Day of the Tentacle is why I make adventure games myself today -- and Monkey Island was in fact the prettiest thing of its time (and still rocks!). What you got there looks really awesome and sounds great, and you folks look like a fun bunch. All in all, a pretty damn solid trailer! I'll be sure to throw some doublons at you when the time comes :)

Mr Underhill

Thanks guys! Really nervous about this Kickstarter business, and nice words are always welcome :-D

Frodo

Wow, this looks AMAZING  :grin:
So like a classic LucasArts game.  And you can NEVER have enough of those.  :grin:

Can't wait for your Kickstarter to go live - really want to back this!  :grin:

The only thing I would say about the Kickstarter page... in the list of tiers, one of the lower tiers says that it's DRM-free. 
Being DRM-free is very important information - that's what a lot of people look for in Kickstarters.  I would suggest that you mention in all the tiers that it's DRM-free.  And also mention it near top of the page, so no-one can miss it.  :smiley:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk