Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure

Started by Mr Underhill, Wed 17/12/2014 10:39:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Underhill

Thanks Frodo! The DRM thing is a very good idea, noted!

So, in big Gibbous news, we now have a trailer: https://youtu.be/qSrxpdFSIRM

...but most importantly, THE DEMO IS AVAILABLE! 8-0 Get it while it's hot:

DOWNLOAD WINDOWS
DOWNLOAD MAC
DOWNLOAD LINUX

You can also download it from our website...

And from the campaign draft page.

Important note: if you want to back Gibbous and be notified when it launches, there's a button on the top of the draft campaign page that will help notify you when it goes live.

Can't wait to read what you guys thought of our demo! ;-D

Fitz

It's here! Throd! THROD!!!

On a side-note... Is the role of Kitteh taken? Because while I'm not a professional voice actor, I think I have the right voice ;)

Mr Underhill

Quote from: Fitz on Wed 30/03/2016 17:44:44
It's here! Throd! THROD!!!

On a side-note... Is the role of Kitteh taken? Because while I'm not a professional voice actor, I think I have the right voice ;)

Woah, that is IMPRESSIVE! Straight outta R'lyeh. We might have a talk if we're funded! ;)

moloko

I just had a look through your trailer, and the art is amazing. Noticed you're using Toon Booom by the way. Had a look at that a while ago, and it got on my nerves really fast. How is it working out for you?

Mr Underhill

Quote from: moloko on Wed 30/03/2016 18:37:24
I just had a look through your trailer, and the art is amazing. Noticed you're using Toon Booom by the way. Had a look at that a while ago, and it got on my nerves really fast. How is it working out for you?

Hmm, weird - I guess it really depends from what you transition to Toon Boom. In my case it was Flash, and I must say it was like going from a beat-up Yugo to a brand new Maserati. The network view might seem a little intimidating at first, but other than that it's a breeze, and super friendly, and - especially compared to flash - the pencil tool actually feels like a pencil, which is great for rough animation. I guess it probably depends on the version, too - we are using Harmony. FYI, I think they recently went to a subscription-based thing and it's really affordable, you might want to check it out. I've basically rediscovered the love of animating via Harmony (and no, they're not paying me to say that :) )

moloko

I'm migrating from Flash myself, and a beat-up Yugo is a charitable comparison. :) I really had a decent look through Harmony, but a couple things didn't work for me at first glance:

*the unending layer palette
*the compromising xsheet

I never got past the trial, and then their sales rep got pushy, but looks like you're doing some amazing things with it. Think it's worth it, then?

Mr Underhill

Yup, absolutely. Now, this probably depends on your background as an animator. We are all self-taught, so stuff like the X-sheet... to be honest, we never really used that. Also, the network system is heaps above flash's movieclips - as for the puppet style thing, we haven't really used that, but I can tell you the deform stuff is stupid easy to use. It also really, really helps if you have a Cintiq.. but I'd say its strengths are line quality (and diversity), easy tweening system and general friendliness. As a disclaimer, we havent' really moved past Harmony 10.0.3, so your mileage may vary. Full disclosure, I haven't gotten a chance to try 12 yet. Basically, if traditional, frame-by-frame stuff is your daily doing, Harmony is for you.

Oh yeah, and I've never tried TV Paint yet, I've heard good things about that one, too, might wanna look it up!

moloko

I remembered overnight why I dismissed Harmony: the tweening system. Easing out or in seemed like entering twelve people's phonenumbers per frame. maybe I'm mistaken there. From your replies, I gather you're satisfied using it, so maybe I ought to give it a shot again. :) At least I didn't have the user manual printed and glued for nothin'. :)

On a separate note: noticed you coming from a somewhat similar track with a similar outset. Guess we'd both benefit from having a look at each other's projects every once in a while...

Mr Underhill

Haha, yeah.. Well, it's a lot more intimidating than Flash's eases, true, but just use the beziers and you should be good. Hit me with a PM of your work if you feel like it!

Fitz

I played the demo and oh boy, is it fun! Kitteh is an obvious favorite -- but the little girl is a piece of work, too. Her breaking the 4th wall wss especially was hilarious -- and a little creepy (laugh) You could flesh out Buzz's response to using the cookie on her. I mean, c'mon: a stranger offering pastries to a little girl alone at night ;)
Oh and thanks for reminding me how criminally bad I was at Monkey Island 3 (roll) I'm stuck! Kitteh won't do the obvious thing and the girl won't give me a valid reason that'd convince the damn furball ;) Got the picture, too, but it's even more useless than Kitteh :P

Mr Underhill

Quote from: Fitz on Thu 31/03/2016 11:37:07
I played the demo and oh boy, is it fun! Kitteh is an obvious favorite -- but the little girl is a piece of work, too. Her breaking the 4th wall wss especially was hilarious -- and a little creepy (laugh) You could flesh out Buzz's response to using the cookie on her. I mean, c'mon: a stranger offering pastries to a little girl alone at night ;)
Oh and thanks for reminding me how criminally bad I was at Monkey Island 3 (roll) I'm stuck! Kitteh won't do the obvious thing and the girl won't give me a valid reason that'd convince the damn furball ;) Got the picture, too, but it's even more useless than Kitteh :P

There's a sort of dialog puzzle there - you need to befriend certain characters in order for new dialog options to pop up in OTHER character's dialog. If you're still stuck PM me and we'll get down to the nitty gritty ;)

As for the cookie combo - yyeeeah, that was a very delicate decision, and I thought maybe not straight up referencing roofies and little girls in the same response is the best way to go. Piscilla's one of my favorite characters, too, and the voice actress did an AMAZING job - she'll be a recurring character for sure.

CaptainD

I'm slightly behind the pace here, but just wanted to say - that is a very good Kickstarter page.

Mr Underhill

Thanks cap'n! We worked our butts off, truth be told :)

Mandle

Holy Nyarlathotep!!!

How could I have missed the portents and siguls that tell of the coming of the GREAT DEMON!?!?!?

I've been waiting for this ever since you first announced the game!

DOWNLOADING!!!!

Mr Underhill

Yaaay! Can't wait to hear what you thought about it!

CrashPL

The art style and the fluid, totally cartoony, animation is completely adorable, especially for me, as I used to animate stuff in Flash before, and always aimed at such level of fluid playback/in-betweens. Amazing skill, I'd say! :D
Overall it really does remind me of Monkey Island 3, and that's one of my all time favourite games, not just adventure ones, but in general. I totally need to check the demo version when I get home. :)

Best of luck with the Kickstarter and the development! :D

Mr Underhill

Quote from: CrashPL on Fri 01/04/2016 10:40:37
The art style and the fluid, totally cartoony, animation is completely adorable, especially for me, as I used to animate stuff in Flash before, and always aimed at such level of fluid playback/in-betweens. Amazing skill, I'd say! :D
Overall it really does remind me of Monkey Island 3, and that's one of my all time favourite games, not just adventure ones, but in general. I totally need to check the demo version when I get home. :)

Best of luck with the Kickstarter and the development! :D

Hehe, good to see people picking up on the heavy visual influence that CoMI is on Gibbous. Yep, I'm a big Bill Tiller fan, and same here: Curse is one of my favorite adventures AND games, ever. Could be that it holds a special place in my heart because it was one of the first games I ever played on my PC back in '97, but it's definitely not just that. The cartoony graphics were INCREDIBLE at the time, and they still hold up enough that a re-mastered version is not necessarily required visually (although that'd be pretty cool, too), and the humor is absolutely top notch. 

Oh and a juicy tidbit: Larry Ahern, co-director of CoMI, said he'd play the demo! Even if I never hear back from him, just that made my whole week/month/year.

Mandle

Quote from: Mr Underhill on Fri 01/04/2016 10:23:30
Yaaay! Can't wait to hear what you thought about it!

Couldn't get it working properly on my crappy old computer...So I will have to try it out on the work computer sometime soon...

Probably graphics support issues I guess: The game ran but the only things visible were characters, a bridge, and icons. The rest of the screen was light blue. Perhaps everything with an alpha channel is not working?

Mr Underhill

Sorry to hear that. I'm running it by Nick, our programmer, hopefully he'll figure it out!

e: Here are the minimum specs for Gibbous:

Graphics card: DX9(shader model 2.0) capabilities, GDDR 512MB+, 900MHz+
CPU: DualCore 2.2Ghz+
HDD: At least 900MB of free space.

And a note from Nick: please provide as much info about what you have been doing and computer specs.

Fitz

I, in turn, managed to get it to work perfectly on the laptop. It indeed was the forced 16:9 that was the issue: on my desktop pc I couldn't see anything to the left of the lamp post -- and this was where the adventure only started! And boy of oh boy, was it FUN! You're really having fun with all sorts of occultism. Aside from the ones openly mentioned I think I spotted a reference to satanism. That woman's name seemed like a demon's name or a weird anagram -- and I remember reading a story about satanists spelling theirs backwards. Whether that's a thing or not, still -- interesting...

I also had tons of fun trying the most outrageous replies in conversations. I think I'll enjoy the hell out of this game, because large dialogue trees with risky responses are my favorite thing both playing and making games myself :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk