Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure

Started by Mr Underhill, Wed 17/12/2014 10:39:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

Wow, this looks really awesome!  8-0
I'm serious, the animation and effects looks on par with Disney!

Mr Underhill

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 20/04/2017 11:17:51
Wow, this looks really awesome!  8-0
I'm serious, the animation and effects looks on par with Disney!

Thanks Blonbraid! That's very flattering :) ...but there's still a long way to go to Disney quality :)

An important experience I've gathered from working on Gibbous is that being good at animation in general doesn't necessarily translate 1:1 to working on the game. I personally adore working on very dynamic stuff, with a lot of squash and stretch and crazy camera angles, and I can safely say that making the goddamned walk cycles for Gibbous is the hardest thing I've had to do in my life, professionally. The disconnect is that, unlike just animation for the sake of it, they have to respect so many rules, and fit so many scenarios, and that's a very challenging thing to face when you're used to being all loosey-goosey with your animation work.

I'm STILL not happy with ours, after 3 or 4 revisions, but Nicu our programmer is already threatening to kill me if I change them again. I probably will again further down the line :P but right now we have so much art and animation done, and it's just time to sit our butts down and wire everything into the game, worry about polish later.

CaptainD

Its looking extremely impressive, Disney-quality or not!  (I suspect you do not have *quite* the resources that Disney can throw at production!  (laugh))

It's beginning to remind me in terms of graphical quality of The Journey of Iesir, and I can't give you much higher praise than that.

Frodo

Those animations are looking so amazing!  :cheesy:

I backed you over on Kickstarter, and I'm VERY excited for the game.  :grin:

Mr Underhill

Thanks so much for your support, guys. We're getting there! :)

Iliya

It's amazing! Very nice smooth animations, backgrounds and... everything!

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mr Underhill on Fri 21/04/2017 08:58:17
Thanks so much for your support, guys. We're getting there! :)
Awesome, I'm so excited for this game, when will it be released?  ;-D

Mr Underhill

There's still a ways to go, but I'm super happy to be AAALMOSSST DOOOONE with the backgrounds. Where almost = probably more than a month of work. What can I say, guys, that's the trouble with HD art, lots of ground to cover, both literally and figuratively :)

Buuuut in case you're curious how we do stuff, we just launched a 1 hour long documentary which covers 4 week of working on the game below, as a thank you for our backers' continued support and understanding.

Click the picture below to watch it on YouTube.

Mr Underhill

Aaand quote is not modify,and I'm an idiot. Disregard this post :P

Darth Mandarb

Really inspiring!

I have been following the progress of your game for a long time now and it's great to see the real passion you all have for this project.

I have always had a romantical fascination with Transylvania (maybe because I was born in a "sylvania" (Pennsylvania)?) seeing the environment you're developing in seriously makes me want to move there! I, as an American who lives in an area with, at most, 100 years of "history" would be constantly inspired in such an environment!

Poor Cami... I wanted to give her a hug sheeesh! I think we all understand that stress/worry about our passions and devotion to a project like that!

I have no doubt your game will be a success (geographical location doesn't matter as much these days!).  However even if not you guys could make your own way as documentarians. (nod)

I will not claim (or pretend) to be a Lovecraft fan but this game exudes style and professionalism even to somebody not versed in that world.

It is my most anticipated game right now.

Kudos and keep up the good work guys!

Mr Underhill

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Wed 10/05/2017 16:40:53
Really inspiring!

I have been following the progress of your game for a long time now and it's great to see the real passion you all have for this project.

I have always had a romantical fascination with Transylvania (maybe because I was born in a "sylvania" (Pennsylvania)?) seeing the environment you're developing in seriously makes me want to move there! I, as an American who lives in an area with, at most, 100 years of "history" would be constantly inspired in such an environment!

Poor Cami... I wanted to give her a hug sheeesh! I think we all understand that stress/worry about our passions and devotion to a project like that!

I have no doubt your game will be a success (geographical location doesn't matter as much these days!).  However even if not you guys could make your own way as documentarians. (nod)

I will not claim (or pretend) to be a Lovecraft fan but this game exudes style and professionalism even to somebody not versed in that world.

It is my most anticipated game right now.

Kudos and keep up the good work guys!

Woah. Those are heart-warming words,Darth. Shared them with Cami and Nicu, too. It feels so good to get positive feedback like that, it really makes us work even harder and be even more determined to make a kick-ass game. Thank you!

Mr Underhill

Azor is a Transylvanian kitty who is really convinced he's a doggie. The bit of plot he's involved in is one of my favorites so far :)

Mandle

Looking amazing on the art side, guys!

I'm going to watch your documentary for sure!

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mr Underhill on Sat 17/06/2017 15:58:19
Azor is a Transylvanian kitty who is really convinced he's a doggie. The bit of plot he's involved in is one of my favorites so far :)
Couldn't help thinking of this quote!

Mr Underhill

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 17/06/2017 16:17:52
Looking amazing on the art side, guys!

I'm going to watch your documentary for sure!

Woot, appreciated! Yeah, as an indie dev I'd love to see more indie dev documentaries, even zero budget ones like ours :)

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 17/06/2017 17:33:46
Quote from: Mr Underhill on Sat 17/06/2017 15:58:19
Couldn't help thinking of this quote!

Haha, true!

Mr Underhill

Hey guys, just put up a hefty update on the VFX we'll be using in-game :-D

Link to update here!

selmiak

This is looking pretty pretty ;)

everything that moves is fixed in place, but what happenes to the clouds once they leave the screen?

Mr Underhill

Hmm, don't know exactly, I think they die and are randomly respawned. Well, not really randomly - we have a definite array of paths that they can follow.

Cassiebsg

The link on the picture is not working.

But that looks great. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mr Underhill

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 30/06/2017 20:32:48
The link on the picture is not working.

But that looks great. (nod)

Whoops, PHPBB kicking my butt :-D I put the link above the gif now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk