Awards 2014 - act now!

Started by , Mon 22/12/2014 18:43:01

Previous topic - Next topic

bicilotti

Friendly reminder that in less than 10 days the whole AGS Awards 2014 shebang will start!

• Developers: if you haven't already, consider uploading your game to the big database!
  • Players: minimize social interaction with your family & relatives and use this festive days to play AGS games released in 2014! Informed voting is essential for a thriving democracy!

Here you can take a look at the Categories for this year.

miguel

Working on a RON game!!!!!

Radiant

It's worth repeating that, based on discussion earlier this year, we now have a new category: Best Freeware Game.

And we no longer have Best Sound (it's now combined with Best Music), nor Best Original Story or Best Dialogue (both folded into Best Writing), not Best NPC (it's now combined with best PC into simply Best Character).

cat

I like the new categories. Now I just have to play all the games I that came out this year 8-0

CaptainD

I know it's committee decided and I'm not on that committee, but to whoever's on the committee... could I request that Eggie's "Play It Again" be considered for Best Innovation for his use of improv dialogues?  Thank you.

Looking forward to NOT winning Best Demo this year!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

bicilotti

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 24/12/2014 10:26:11
I know it's committee decided and I'm not on that committee, but to whoever's on the committee... could I request that Eggie's "Play It Again" be considered for Best Innovation for his use of improv dialogues?  Thank you.

Looking forward to NOT winning Best Demo this year!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

xD I still have to pick committee members this year, bribes are always welcome!

Radiant

Sorry for bringing this up months later, but I re-read the old thread and I believe there's been a small oversight in the voting. For question 2.III, the one about Best Artwork, Dactylopus wrote:

Quote from: dactylopus on Tue 25/03/2014 20:10:06
    ...merge ________ into Best Artwork:
        replace BGs/CA/Ani with Best Sprite Art plus Best Artwork.

Sprite Art could include all Sprites in the game, not just Characters, and their respective Animations.  Background Art could include not only Background Art, but also the related Background Animations.

And later clarified that:

Quote from: dactylopus on Sat 26/04/2014 23:15:30
Well the wording of C threw me off. I'd like to see Sprite / Character Art (Sprites & Sprite Animations) and Background Art (Backgrounds and Background Animations).

So it seems to me that he's voted for option C, i.e. having two categories: one for the backgrounds, and one for the sprites. But in the Haskell code he is listed as having voted for D, i.e. three categories for backgrounds, characters, and animations respectively. Bicilotti, could you please double-check that? Thanks!

Crimson Wizard

I just realized that I haven't played an AGS game since the last Awards :(.

bicilotti

Quote from: Radiant on Wed 24/12/2014 14:00:52
Sorry for bringing this up months later, but I re-read the old thread and I believe there's been a small oversight in the voting. For question 2.III, the one about Best Artwork, Dactylopus wrote:

Quote from: dactylopus on Tue 25/03/2014 20:10:06
    ...merge ________ into Best Artwork:
        replace BGs/CA/Ani with Best Sprite Art plus Best Artwork.

Sprite Art could include all Sprites in the game, not just Characters, and their respective Animations.  Background Art could include not only Background Art, but also the related Background Animations.

And later clarified that:

Well the wording of C threw me off. I'd like to see Sprite / Character Art (Sprites & Sprite Animations) and Background Art (Backgrounds and Background Animations).

So it seems to me that he's voted for option C, i.e. having two categories: one for the backgrounds, and one for the sprites. But in the Haskell code he is listed as having voted for D, i.e. three categories for backgrounds, characters, and animations respectively. Bicilotti, could you please double-check that? Thanks!

As much as I would like to axe another category, if we quote Dactylopus' message in full

Well the wording of C threw me off.  I'd like to see Sprite / Character Art (Sprites & Sprite Animations) and Background Art (Backgrounds and Background Animations).  I would not support this if it became 'Best Sprite Art' and 'Best Artwork' because I don't think it's clear enough what each category implies.  If there is no UI Category, UI Sprites should be part of Sprite / Character Art.

(emphasis mine) it is clear that he didn't support option C.

Dave Gilbert

I remembered to add my own game to the database this year! In the nick of time, too.

Radiant

Quote from: bicilotti on Wed 24/12/2014 18:05:10
(emphasis mine) it is clear that he didn't support option C.
Fair point, it's plausible that he wanted something that wasn't on the list. Nevertheless, it strikes me that he clearly doesn't support option D ("make no changes") as he's repeatedly said that he does want changes. Perhaps his vote for this should simply be removed, rather than counted towards something he doesn't seem to want.

Anyway I'll cease nitpicking now; it's time to open AGS and get a rebuke from the editor that I shouldn't do that today. Merry christmas!

cat

A quick reminder for game developers: Today is the last chance to add your game to the database to make it eligible for this year's awards!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk