64-bits engine

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Mon 22/12/2014 23:11:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

We've been talking a lot about porting AGS to some fancy systems, portable consoles, even ScummVM was mentioned. We've been talking about how to enhance plenty of stuff in the code.

But thtere is something that we overlooked and that might be far more important: porting the engine to 64-bits.

Why is that? Because the clock is ticking and it's only a matter of time now until 32 bits goes unsupported, the same way 16-bits Windows 3.11 got decomissionned by Windows 95 (remember?).
Microsoft announced it wouldn't happen yet with Windows 9, but there are high chances that it happens with Windows 10. Maybe 5 years from now at most?

Crimson Wizard

AGS engine was made 64-bit compatible back in 2013. This is how it works on 64-bit Linux.
We never distributed 64-bit Windows version because there was little reason at the moment.

There are few compatibility issues, like with plugin API, which must be simply scrapped and rewritten from scratch (for other reasons too).

Gurok

64-bit versions of Windows continue to support 32-bit applications, just as 32-bit versions of Windows continue (e.g. 32-bit Windows 8) to support 16-bit ones. 16-bit software wasn't decommissioned by Windows 95. 128-bit Windows might be a different story, but I think you're being a little alarmist about the whole issue.

Also, it's not going to be called Windows 9.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 22/12/2014 23:24:21
AGS engine was made 64-bit compatible back in 2013.

Lol. That was a problem quickly solved! :=

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Gurok on Tue 23/12/2014 03:40:06
16-bit software wasn't decommissioned by Windows 95.
Ok, that was a bad example, but 32-bits apps might be totally broken at some point, that I have read for sure (I also knew that Windows 9 wasn't going to be called Windows 9 but I didn't see the point of memorizing its name). I'm not the alarmist type. When I wrote that there are still 5 or more years before it happens, I am fully aware that this is a distant future, but also a very short time in terms of community-maintained code.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 23/12/2014 08:37:22
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 22/12/2014 23:24:21
AGS engine was made 64-bit compatible back in 2013.

Lol. That was a problem quickly solved! :=

Well, as I said there are still compatibility issues.
One of the requirements is to stop using prebuilt 3rd party libs, which probably won't work with 64-bit program.

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 23/12/2014 08:38:22I am fully aware that this is a distant future, but also a very short time in terms of community-maintained code.
I know I sound pessimist, but I think it is more feasible to ask for completely new engine instead, built with modern technologies.

Gurok

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 23/12/2014 08:38:22
Ok, that was a bad example, but 32-bits apps might be totally broken at some point, that I have read for sure (I also knew that Windows 9 wasn't going to be called Windows 9 but I didn't see the point of memorizing its name). I'm not the alarmist type. When I wrote that there are still 5 or more years before it happens, I am fully aware that this is a distant future, but also a very short time in terms of community-maintained code.

Sorry, I didn't mean to jump down your throat. I just think it's hasty to say 5 years at most. More like 5 years at the least. Microsoft is still phasing out 16-bit support!

m0ds

Sorry to drag up an old thread but it's an appropriate topic to ask, are there any answers to this:

Will current games (AGS 2.72 - AGS 3.3.x) work on Windows 10?

Will they need to be recompiled to work with Windows 10?

Any other issues that could arise with AGS games on Windows 10?

I don't know much about Win 10 sorry. It's okay if there isn't any verified knowledge about this. But have been asked, and clearly, have no clue, so appreciate another opinion ;)

Gurok

Will current games (AGS 2.72 - AGS 3.3.x) work on Windows 10?
As well as they work with Windows 8.

Will they need to be recompiled to work with Windows 10?
No.

Any other issues that could arise with AGS games on Windows 10?
It's certainly possible. According to rumours, Microsoft will be releasing frequent updates with substantial changes in them. For now though, compatibility is about as good as it was with Windows 8. (Source: I am using Windows 10, building and testing games on it.)

Crimson Wizard

As long as Windows support 32-bit mode, 32-bit programs will run on it.
Regarding issues, I would expect some security ones, coming from UAC, and maybe lack of DirectDraw 5 support.

m0ds

Thanks for the clarification :) Seems ok then...

necros

+1 for 64 bit rewrite

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk