Unreadable font...really?

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 11/12/2014 23:13:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

So i was showing some work at another forum and one guy said that my font was not compatible with the art style at all. I like the font...it's kind of RPG'ish...and I have no problems reading it at all but maybe that's because I'm writing everything ;D I'll show you some pics. Should I change it or not?

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Armageddon

Yeah it's not great for a main font, considering you're using it for all the info you're going to see all the time choosing a good font is important. The font size is a little small too for how large the game is. Go for something simpler. You can still keep the medieval Serif look but the curvy cursive is a bit too much..

Mouth for war

Allright then...after your input i think i will change it then. Thanks :-)

Fred Five

I agree with Armageddon. Make it a bit simpler -otherwise it looks great :)

cat

The graphics are in a somewhat cartoony style so a simpler font might actually fit better.

Mouth for war

Alright i'm convinced...i'll change it :-D

Darth Mandarb

Another suggestion I would make (to help with readability) would be to work on the margins/paddings.

As it is now it feels very crammed in there (which always makes it harder to read for me!).

You have a high resolution and plenty of room to work with, I say use it!

Did a quick paint-over:

- updated the font to one I like (Century Gothic)... so pleasing to the eyes and easy to read, yet still neat looking
- moved the "shop" down a bit to create some overlap (it felt more right being by the shop keeper).
- changed HP and MP to full words (that aforementioned available space!)
- added 'counts' to the HP/MP (not sure you like/want something like that I just thought it needed it (nod))
- I did quick/easy border frills on the menus' edges

Hope it was helpful!  You know I love your style man  8-)

Mouth for war

Not bad Darth...not bad at all :D we really should make something together sometime...you always make nice touch up work ;)

Babar

Maybe have icons for Hit Points, Magic and Gold instead?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Mouth for war

I was thinking about icons too actually. Oh well...I wish that was the only thing to worry about...Hardest damn project I've ever worked on haha :D

Adventurer 007

I actually rather like the font.  It reminds me of some of the old buccaneer games like Sid Meiers Pirates.  But I suppose if you are having a game based on cartoonish characters it may be a bit out of place... don't know.  If there is an option to change the font to a basic font for the game (as an accessibility option) then you wouldn't have to worry about someone who has trouble reading it.  I guess it would be how you are trying to set the mood of the game. 

If you don't mind I ask, which font this is?  Is it something that is free?

-Adventurer 007

Mouth for war

I changed the font and I guess this is a little easier on the Eyes :)

Dualnames

Not really. The horizontal space between the letters is still small in this font as well.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

selmiak

I think it's okay. post a screenshot of some word with fi in it. If these letters are too close together they become unreadable and the whole font can be trashed. If you can read it, it should work imho.

Mouth for war

I have no problems at all reading the text(Even if I didn't make it I would still find it easy to read hehe) Y'all must have eye problems ;D But it's not a final product so I have a lot of time to change stuff!

Snarky

You really should take Darth's advice about adding some padding around the text. Having the border right next to the letters makes it hard to read and isn't aesthetically appealing. Just take a look at any professional design, and you'll see that there's always a bit of space. As a suggestion, one M-width on each side (and top and bottom edge) is a reasonable minimum.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk