Star Commander - Remake

Started by cadeultra3, Fri 23/01/2015 15:48:09

Previous topic - Next topic

cadeultra3

Star Commander - Invasion

Steam page is now up! Come check it out!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1908510/Star_Commander__The_Sentinel/

20 years ago I created a game using AGI studio and released it on the internet. It was the first game i ever made. So I've decided to remake this game using AGS to upgrade graphics etc. Ive included screenshots of the old game compared to the new one. I polished the plot and puzzles quite a bit from the original game (Ive learned a lot in the last 15 years). I really liked this game and cant wait to complete this new version.

The Story:

On a far out secret space station a lab patient awakens, with no memory of his past or who he is . He is suddenly faced with immediate danger, as the space station is under attack.

Our hero must escape before the station succumbs to the enemy attack and start on a journey to discover who he is are and why he came to be in that laboratory.
Development Progress:

Story: 100%
Scripting: 750%
Graphics: 70%
Sound/Music: 75%

AnasAbdin

Lovely story and graphics!
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
March you said?
Best. Birthday. Present. Evah!

ManicMatt

He walks very er, happily! Love the backgrounds! Eye-poppingly good!

CaptainD

Those screenshots look GORGEOUS!  A bit like The Dig but, dare I say it, even better?!

Also, you can never have too many sci-fi adventure games. 8-)

cadeultra3

Started working on the introduction sequence. Here is a screenshot of inside your space ship...

Gurok

What a vast improvement! This looks great.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Armageddon

Wow man, you're art is incredible. Straight out of early 2000s adventure games. I second The Dig, similar rendering techniques. Are you doing color reduction or something?

cadeultra3

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback!

Quote from: Armageddon on Sat 24/01/2015 05:18:27
Are you doing color reduction or something?

The way I do the backgrounds is I model everything in 3ds max, and z-brush when necessary (some of the caves were done using z-brush for the normal maps.) I render them out at 800x600 and reduce it 50 percent in photoshop (Im using cs3) with slight sharpening till its down to 320x240. I then set it to indexed color (to give it that old school feel) and play with the settings till it looks decent enough. I bump it back up up to full color and paint over the scene to fix any weird errors that occur during the auto color reduction. I reduce again / increase / paint again till it looks good. 90% of the time its fine after the first reduction though.

Technocrat

cadeultra3

Still making very good progress! I wanted to share some new screenshots with everyone of some other areas.

AnasAbdin

You're doing a great job cadeultra3! Love the new screenies and the different contrasts! keep'em coming :-D

Armageddon

Oh my gosh you should be making a commercial game. Do you just use the built in 3Ds Max renderer or Mental Ray? Those 2D textures are fantastic especially in the hallway. Is it all hand painted or photo sourced?

cadeultra3

Thanks!

I use mental ray for some Global Illumination and for the Ambient Occlusion render passes. I have been a 3d artist for years, most recently with ubisoft entertainment. My portfolio is here.

svcoyle.carbonmade.com

The textures i use are also modeled in max then the AO pass and normal maps are brought into photoshop where i paint the Diffuse / Albedo texture and the specular texture. I tweak the normal as needed and use them in max when i render the scenes. Here is an example below.

selmiak

any news on the progress? There can't be enough Space Adventures!

Darth Mandarb

cadeultra3 - If you're still working on this, and want to post your progress update, let me know and I'll unlock it.

cadeultra3

Well I had to put this game on hold due to life, work and some other issues. But this was the first game I ever created (using AGI studio at the time) and I want to finish this AGS port. As a professional game developer crunch times and such can keep you from your hobbies but it's been 20 years so its about time this game gets finished. I will post more often than I had in the past to keep the flow going and get this project wrapped up. I have changed a couple things since my last attempt such as wide screen support for more immersion and reworked a lot of the art and animations.

So for the first update here are some newer screenshots

If anyone wants to look at my other projects or contact me you can visit my website at www.stevevcoyle.com

cadeultra3

Finished up all the GUI work over the weekend.

cadeultra3

First pass of the intro sequence. The music and sound is temporary.

cadeultra3

Working on art overhaul for some of the crappier backgrounds i made all those years ago.

Here is the original..

and here is the updated one (still in progress)...

Creamy

Quoteit's been 20 years so its about time this game gets finished.
You're the persistent type  (laugh)

I'm surprised by the simplicity of your GUI - it's not necessarily a bad thing.

QuoteWorking on art overhaul for some of the crappier backgrounds i made all those years ago.
The original cave was fine in my view, although the new one may read more clearly.

Good luck on finishing this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk