Jibble

Author Topic: Star Commander - Remake  (Read 5476 times)

Star Commander - Remake
« on: 23 Jan 2015, 15:48 »
Star Commander - Invasion

15 years ago I created a game using AGI studio and released it on the internet. It was the first game i ever made. So I've decided to remake this game using AGS to upgrade graphics etc. Ive included screenshots of the old game compared to the new one. I polished the plot and puzzles quite a bit from the original game (Ive learned a lot in the last 15 years). I really liked this game and cant wait to complete this new version.

The Story:

You are Sean Cade a test pilot for a newly developed Faster Than Light spacecraft built by NASA on Earth. During testing of these newly developed engines, a malfunction occurs hurling you across the galaxy. During the confusion a alien ship approaches and takes you prisoner and you are sent to mine power crystals in a prison mine. You must escape the mines and uncover the evil alien's plot to invade this quadrant of the galaxy.

Development Progress:

Story: 100%
Scripting: 10%
Graphics: 10%
Sound/Music: 0%

« Last Edit: 01 May 2021, 21:24 by cadeultra3 »

AnasAbdin

• Peace, Love and AGS
    • AnasAbdin worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: Star Commander - Remake
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2015, 18:33 »
Lovely story and graphics!
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
March you said?
Best. Birthday. Present. Evah!

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2015, 19:16 »
He walks very er, happily! Love the backgrounds! Eye-poppingly good!

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2015, 20:02 »
Those screenshots look GORGEOUS!  A bit like The Dig but, dare I say it, even better?!

Also, you can never have too many sci-fi adventure games. 8-)

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2015, 22:00 »
Started working on the introduction sequence. Here is a screenshot of inside your space ship...

« Last Edit: 01 May 2021, 21:24 by cadeultra3 »

Gurok

• Rottwheelers
  • When life hands you lemons, combine them with the mop
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with scripting
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2016, for improving and extending the AGS scripting language
    • Gurok worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Gurok worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2015, 03:59 »
What a vast improvement! This looks great.

Armageddon

• Likes apples and nuts
    • Armageddon worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Armageddon worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2015, 05:18 »
Wow man, you're art is incredible. Straight out of early 2000s adventure games. I second The Dig, similar rendering techniques. Are you doing color reduction or something?

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2015, 14:55 »
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback!

Are you doing color reduction or something?

The way I do the backgrounds is I model everything in 3ds max, and z-brush when necessary (some of the caves were done using z-brush for the normal maps.) I render them out at 800x600 and reduce it 50 percent in photoshop (Im using cs3) with slight sharpening till its down to 320x240. I then set it to indexed color (to give it that old school feel) and play with the settings till it looks decent enough. I bump it back up up to full color and paint over the scene to fix any weird errors that occur during the auto color reduction. I reduce again / increase / paint again till it looks good. 90% of the time its fine after the first reduction though.

Technocrat

• AGS Baker
  • Always finishes what he sta
    • Technocrat worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Technocrat worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2015, 21:28 »
Long live 3D modelling!

« Reply #9 on: 02 Feb 2015, 02:06 »
Still making very good progress! I wanted to share some new screenshots with everyone of some other areas.

AnasAbdin

• Peace, Love and AGS
    • AnasAbdin worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #10 on: 02 Feb 2015, 04:41 »
You're doing a great job cadeultra3! Love the new screenies and the different contrasts! keep'em coming :-D

Armageddon

• Likes apples and nuts
    • Armageddon worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Armageddon worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #11 on: 02 Feb 2015, 05:45 »
Oh my gosh you should be making a commercial game. Do you just use the built in 3Ds Max renderer or Mental Ray? Those 2D textures are fantastic especially in the hallway. Is it all hand painted or photo sourced?

« Reply #12 on: 02 Feb 2015, 13:16 »
Thanks!

I use mental ray for some Global Illumination and for the Ambient Occlusion render passes. I have been a 3d artist for years, most recently with ubisoft entertainment. My portfolio is here.

svcoyle.carbonmade.com

The textures i use are also modeled in max then the AO pass and normal maps are brought into photoshop where i paint the Diffuse / Albedo texture and the specular texture. I tweak the normal as needed and use them in max when i render the scenes. Here is an example below.

selmiak

• ǝsıɔɹǝxǝ ʞɔǝu puɐ uıɐɹq
    • I can help with play testing
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with translating
    • I can help with web design
    • selmiak worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • selmiak worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2015, 11:28 »
any news on the progress? There can't be enough Space Adventures!

Darth Mandarb

• Evil Sith Lord
  • Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • Darth Mandarb worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Darth Mandarb worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2015, 12:53 »
cadeultra3 - If you're still working on this, and want to post your progress update, let me know and I'll unlock it.

« Reply #15 on: 01 May 2021, 21:38 »
Well I had to put this game on hold due to life, work and some other issues. But this was the first game I ever created (using AGI studio at the time) and I want to finish this AGS port. As a professional game developer crunch times and such can keep you from your hobbies but it's been 20 years so its about time this game gets finished. I will post more often than I had in the past to keep the flow going and get this project wrapped up. I have changed a couple things since my last attempt such as wide screen support for more immersion and reworked a lot of the art and animations.

So for the first update here are some newer screenshots

If anyone wants to look at my other projects or contact me you can visit my website at www.stevevcoyle.com
« Last Edit: 01 May 2021, 21:41 by cadeultra3 »

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 09:26 »
Finished up all the GUI work over the weekend.