Troll Song Verse One - Completely Stoned

Started by CaptainD, Thu 29/01/2015 22:21:35

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Hi guys and gals

A whole two years after the demo was launched, we present "Verse One" in its entirety.  (Don't worry, the full game won't take a further two years to develop.  At least I sincerely hope not!)

This now represents the quality of the full game, which the demo stopped doing some time after Jim and Andrea (Dualnames and AprilSkies) started working on it.  There's even a tutorial and hint system for those of you who aren't familar with adventure games! :-D

[imgzoom]http://i.gjcdn.net/imgserver/screenshot-thumbnail/898x1000/91668.jpg[/imgzoom]

Download Page

[imgzoom]http://i.gjcdn.net/imgserver/screenshot-thumbnail/898x1000/91666.jpg[/imgzoom]

Notes:
- There is a native Linux version coming soon(ish)

NickyNyce

Nice...Congrats to you all, this looks great. Verse one here I come!

AnasAbdin

Not the final product!!! :~( you guys are lazy (wtf) you have no idea how anticipated we are.
however... who am I kidding I'm playing this tonight! Congrats and thanks to the wonderful team! :-D

CaptainD

@NickyNyce - thanks buddy!
@AnasAbdin - look, not all of us can produce games at a stupidly rapid rate like your good self! :P  Thanks. ;-D

Now in the AGS Games Directory - sorry didn't have time last night.
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1880/

Ibispi

I've just finished it. Since I didn't play the demo before this was my first experience of Troll Song, and I have to say it's very good.
I didn't go through tutorial so at one point I was stuck:
Spoiler
The before the last puzzle puzzle when you have to click on both trolls to combine them, I didn't know that was possible; I assume this is probably explained in tutorial?
[close]
Also, I really like the "show the hotspot" function, since my monitor brightness is normally low, this was very useful. Great work, Dave and the team, I can't wait for the next installment. :-)
And, great voice acting; the leading troll (Clod?), had the best voice acting for now, in my opinion.

Tabata

Tabby ... ready ... with ... "Verse One"!

ROOOOOAAAR!*

Need … full … game! … NOOOOOOW!

Waiting ... no ... good!

* (loved it including the great voiceacting)

miguel

What a great chapter guys, truly funny and well executed. Good job guys!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

CaptainD

Thanks guys and gals! :-D

@BSP -
Spoiler
Combining the trolls isn't really covered in the inventory, it was something that I wanted people to suddenly realise they could do - it is (I think) a somewhat unusual feature in an adventure game and I didn't want to make it too obvious, though I hoped that the other trolls appearing as inventory items would be enough of a clue.
[close]

Ibispi

Now that I think about it
Spoiler
it would actually spoil the puzzle if the tutorial told you that.
Although, if this is going to be a lengthier game, where there would be more of these kind of puzzles (which involve combining trolls), it wouldn't be a terrible thing to just show a tutorial message when you get the second troll free, which tells you that you can combine trolls.
It's just an idea though, maybe it's better if it stays as it is.
[close]

Chicky

Wow, I really liked it Captain D! Really looking forward to the rest of this, interesting puzzles which challenge the norm for adventure games. Great voice acting too! :)

Mandle

Just finished the game now and it was GREAT!!! Charming atmosphere and nice tragi-comedic feel throughout...

I did find a few glitches:

(SPOILER WARNING)

Spoiler
* If you use ROAR on iron bar in inventory the voice audio says: "Dat Rokk much big troll" by mistake

* If you drop the boulder right at Rokk's feet (when he is still in the cell) it goes above his baseline and disappears behind him: You can still recover it but it takes a bit of precision with the clicking...

* After you make the troll-tower with the x2 icon on the crystal: After the cutscene if you use the x2 on the crystal again it repeats the cutscene over from the start.

* I also noticed some baseline issues when the trolls are walking in a group, and sometimes you can get a bit trapped in a corner by the other trolls and it takes some wriggling to get free... These are probably AGS issues and not so easy to solve though I guess...

* Not a glitch but: I loved all the voice acting with one big exception: The narrator's voice-overs at the start and the finish: The tone of the voice and the echo effect make me think of the start of a sci-fi game (in particular the start of Unreal Tournament), or the voice of the self-destruct countdowns in Alien/Aliens movies...Could be just me but I really didn't feel that they fitted with the rest of the game...
[close]

AWESOME WORK though and I can't wait for Verse 2...

You've got one fan hooked here for sure!

Cassiebsg

Looking forward to the mirror version... :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CaptainD

Thanks everyone (and thanks Mandle for the bug reports - might invite you to join the official test team! :P

Re: narrator voice - actually I wanted something that would stand out as very different to the rest of the game.  I'll wait to see what other people think - you're the first person to actually give an opinion on it (I mean officially, outside the dev group and testers.)

Really glad people are enjoying it. ;-D

Cassie - Coming soon.  Gonna set up an itci.io account soon and put it there.  (Actually I'll PM you a link.)

EDIT - I've popped it in my Dropbox and set that up as a mirror on the AGS Games Page.  So if anyone was not able to download via GameJolt, you can now use that.

shaun9991

loved every second of it, great work guys! you've created something very unique :)

Spoiler
encountered a couple of buggy bits - at one point the music randomly stopped playing, and also the trolls seemed to have a few baseline issues at a couple of points, but apart from that it's A+ stuff!!!
[close]
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

CaptainD

Thanks Shaun!

We... erm... we left a couple of bugs in on purpose?! :-[

A few people have mentioned the baseline problems and I don't really know what we can do about it, but we shall do our best!

monkey424

Dat good game Cap'n D. Me like show hotspot and inbuilt hint option much. Look forward to 2015 release. It is prophesied! :)

selmiak

congrats on release! game much fun!

...so am I trolling now?

ThreeOhFour

Some of the solutions to those puzzles were completely...

Spoiler
batshit. :=
[close]

Seriously, though, fun game, cute graphics and interesting puzzles. I like the unusual verbs, and that they all got used over the course of the chapter, and I look forward to playing the full game!

Dropped Monocle Games

Congrats, just finished playing and I really enjoy it, can't wait for more!

Spoiler
I loved roaring at things
Spoiler
TIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNGS!
[close]
[close]

CaptainD

Thanks All!

Ben - you meant that in a good way, right? :-D

Sox - you will be pleased to know that the game does contain goblins. 8-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk