MAGS February: "Losing Something" (Winner Announced)

Started by Atelier, Sun 01/02/2015 19:20:52

Previous topic - Next topic

JenniBee

Quote from: Atelier on Thu 12/02/2015 13:13:34JenniBee: Yes, that sounds fine. As long as nothing tangible/physical that was created before the competition started is used, it will probably be ok. It's hard to restrict mere ideas that people had before the competition - to what extent will the concept art be used?
OK. good. :) I'll get started on this ASAP then.  I needed something like a timed contest to get myself in gear (I always work better under deadlines).

The game is going to feature people who post on the Double Fine forums.  They told me what they wanted their character to look like, and I drew a sketch, colorized it, and posted it in the forums.  Then they had their say if the colors and look were right, and I updated it until they were happy with it.  The game style is inspired by Day of the Tentacle, so it will be lower resolution than what the concept art would work as sprites, since they're pretty big, so they're not suited to be just dropped in the game.  I'll have to make pixel art based on the concept art of the characters, so all assets actually used in the game will be new.

Examples of the concept art:

Radiant

Quote from: Atelier on Thu 12/02/2015 13:13:34
But that's an extreme example, and at the other end of the spectrum we have simple framework code, something that I'm sure most entrants have recycled to some extent. In this case, the save/load menu you describe doesn't sound like anything over and above that included in the default AGS template. If two lines of code are so trivial in nature, as to be something that all entrants can reasonably be expected to create or dowse from a template, it will probably be ok. Unless of course those two lines form a substantial part of the distinctiveness or operation of the game, and that is the critical question.

That's good to know, thanks.

I'm not going to enter this year but this may save some time for later MAGS'es; I'm talking about the one-click interface used in Errand. Then again, I was planning to release that as a module anyway at some point, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Hobo

I'm kind of working on some sci-fi something, not sure if I'll finish on time though.
Can't give you any actual in-game shots, but here's a small teaser:

Ibispi

@JenniBee I like your Edgar Allan Poe; what's that 8-) on his left though?
@Hobo That android, robot, looks creepy! :shocked:
I'm so happy you guys joined the mags, it's a lot more fun now. :-*
Here's my screenshot for today:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/XEb6f6Z.png?1[/imgzoom]

xil

Hi all,

Some good looking entries already!

I thought I'd give everyone a head's up I am also joining in this month. I'm going to continue with a low-res style like I tried last month but try to work on a new universal interface as my last game provided some useful feedback on how it could be improved.

This is an in-game screenshot but I'm keeping the interface a secret for now (as it's half done ;)).

[imgzoom]http://calicoreverie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/IAMJASON1.png[/imgzoom]
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

JenniBee

Quote from: BSP on Wed 18/02/2015 22:16:46@JenniBee I like your Edgar Allan Poe; what's that 8-) on his left though?
Thanks. :) The person whose character the being on his left belongs to had an avatar of an anenome with sunglasses.  I was told that I could do anything with the body, so I went overboard. (laugh) It's part anenome, part chicken, part giraffe, and part crocodile.  And it's going to have a big part in the plot. :)

LeafThief

Heyyyyyyyyyyyy,
nice looking entries here already! I'm joining this month as well.
Here's what I have so far, apart from a vague idea what it's going to be about:
[imgzoom]https://31.media.tumblr.com/3b05ca9f36ba7ffff9f754e4a5302f4a/tumblr_inline_nk2c6ieM9v1s96q5o.png[/imgzoom]

As it's already late it's probably going to be single-screen but oh well.

Work work work :)

Ibispi

Quote from: JenniBee on Thu 19/02/2015 21:22:46
Quote from: BSP on Wed 18/02/2015 22:16:46@JenniBee I like your Edgar Allan Poe; what's that 8-) on his left though?
Thanks. :) The person whose character the being on his left belongs to had an avatar of an anenome with sunglasses.  I was told that I could do anything with the body, so I went overboard. (laugh) It's part anenome, part chicken, part giraffe, and part crocodile.  And it's going to have a big part in the plot. :)
What a phenomenal character! :shocked: (laugh)
Time is drawing near...
At some point I lost motivation, because I thought no one was going to participate - how wrong have I been! (wtf)

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/7Eqi2ux.gif?1[/imgzoom]
^this is one of the crazy characters from my game. He is a slaver. That which he is holding in his hand is a whip. And he doesn't hesitate to use it. He is nuts!

Myshkin

Wow, some nice looking entries so far! I'm not doing anything this month but look forward to seeing these in action (nod)

LeafThief

Mini Update.
My game (working title Ten Weeks) is about a mom and her family. It's her that loses something. Have a gif:
[imgzoom]http://38.media.tumblr.com/c0c08ee644bd52d66cbbd81e12508a5b/tumblr_nk7wdtbgvU1shbqmko1_500.gif[/imgzoom]

AprilSkies

Guys plis...
I'm try to working on my games..
With so much amazing entries... i'll spend again a month paying.. and I can't go on with my projects!

Joking aside, I'm speechless: another High Quality MAGS is coming.
I have no words, all your games seems so great!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Ibispi

Atelier, I'd like to ask if you could extend the deadline by a few days.
Firstly, February is a short month, this one has just 28 days - that's two days of extension.
Then if you could add a few more days, how you normally add if someone asks for extension of the mags.
Thanks.

I'm sure the other participants will also want the deadline extended; well, not all but some.

My game is at this stage in terms of progress:
99% graphics
80% story
25% programming
0% music and sound
-I've finished almost everything, except of course programming. I have to implement it all in these few days. In terms of sound and music, that depends upon the time left. I am planning to do a "deluxe" version of the game after the mags, since this one will obviously not be so good.

st.

springthoughts

xil

I like the art style st. and look forward to giving it a go!

I would also like to ask for a bit of an extension if that's okay. 2 days would be fine, or a little longer if it suits others?
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

st.

I hope you'll enjoy it, xil :)

I'm not sure if this is expected of me but I'm ok with the extension.
springthoughts

Atelier

Quote from: BSP on Wed 25/02/2015 14:56:59
Atelier, I'd like to ask if you could extend the deadline by a few days.
Firstly, February is a short month, this one has just 28 days - that's two days of extension.

Quote from: xil on Fri 27/02/2015 20:51:57
I would also like to ask for a bit of an extension if that's okay. 2 days would be fine, or a little longer if it suits others?

Sorry this is my fault, I should have made it clearer - I did factor in the short month so the official deadline is actually 2nd March anyway, not the 28th (see original post)

Quote from: st. on Sat 28/02/2015 14:01:58
I'm not sure if this is expected of me but I'm ok with the extension.

Thanks for preempting st., this was going to be my question :)

So how does 5th March sound for everybody as the new deadline?

Ibispi

Quote from: Atelier on Sat 28/02/2015 14:25:41
(...)
So how does 5th March sound for everybody as the new deadline?
Sounds perfect to me! I'll have enough time to get my game play tested + implement sound and music! :smiley:

xil

JenniBee

The 5th of March sounds great.  I was just about to post in here that I wouldn't be able to release it today since my mom got tricked by a phisher and I had to move off of the Windows partition.  Since the AGS editor is Windows only I haven't been able to get into it and I won't be able to do so until I can get back into Windows safely.  The extra few days should allow me the time to reinstall Windows and get the game finished.

Radiant

Sure, but can we also start the March MAGS on March 1st?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk