Heaven, Hell and the Neitherworld

Started by ManicMatt, Thu 05/02/2015 14:32:37

Previous topic - Next topic

ManicMatt

After 8 years (on and off, but mostly off) I have finally completed my comedy point and clicker, LIMBO! No, not that Limbo. LIMBO THE ADVENTURE GAME! It is free to download from this link via itch! Except now it's available again to download and now known as Heaven, Hell and the Neitherworld to avoid confusion with the other Limbo game. (Yes I'm still sour about that, but what can you do!)

CLICK HERE FOLKS!

Watch the newly made 2018 trailer here!
TRAILERS ARE AWESOME!

Featuring many improvements over my previous game, Secrets! Improved, funnier speech! Better graphics! Better jokes! Fresh music! More crazy stuff! More talking to yourself!

Created by me! Extra testing by Erenan! Help and online storage space from Peder Johnsen (for a long time!)

Limbo was featured in Adventure Gamers freeware feature!
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/28381/page3

and Captain D kindly promoted it for me here!
http://www.indiegamenews.com/2015/05/limbo-adventure-game.html

Mandle

Oh WOW!!! Congratz on the release after so much time!

I have sooooo been waiting for this one: This is going to be my weekend game!!!

ManicMatt

Thanks! It might not last a weekend I'm afraid, although you can make it last longer by interacting, looking at and talking to everything, as I tried to put individual responses for everything in that respect. (Brent has over 500 lines of spoken dialogue alone!)

Dualnames

That literally took forever. <3 Downloading.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

ManicMatt

Let me know what you think!

Erenan

I really like how much effort went into the voice acting in this game! It's really cool how every character has a unique voice and you did them all yourself. Very good work, Matt!
The Bunker

Fitz

I've only just started playing this evening -- but I'm loving it so far! It had me in stitches right from the start. The voice acting's really fun, too. Must've been a ton of work, considering each action having its own unique response (I did the same with Gray and I'd have to run a Kickstarter campain for cough pills if I wanted to do a talkie version). Cool character design, too.

One thing you might want to correct: make the Interact icon default in the title page/office. Maybe it's just that it's late and I'm tired, but it took me a minute to figure out I need to switch mouse mode from Walk to Use to start a new game.

Other than that, it's a great game. I have no idea how I missed it when it came out, I was waiting for Limbo to come out. It's probably becauese I wasn't online much after my surgery. Oh well, I'm here now -- and I'll post a more in-depth review once I finish.

ManicMatt

^_^ Thanks you two! Yeah the voice acting was also challenging in that there was DIY going on at times and I had to wait until the noises would stop! There was also plenty of liquid to sooth my throat! Death was the worst for that!

Surgery? Well sounds like you're okay now Fitz? I downloaded your game - after nearly downloading some dodgy thing instead - maybe Peder would be willing to upload your game to his archives? It too passed me by, I have a lot of AGS game to play! I left the forums when I stopped working on Limbo for a few years, needed a break, didn't mean to take that long! Look forward to your in-depth review!

Cassiebsg

Just download it, but is it really necessary to make the player click on 4 different "download" links? ??? :( I probably would have gave on trying to dwl it, if not for the replies here... was starting to feel like those run in loop "download" type of "scams"...

Anyway, looking forward to have some time to try and play it. Thanks for making this game! :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Fitz

Oh, I know what you're talking about. I did voice work some upcoming AGS games -- and one was really hard for my throat. And yeah, the acoustic environment can be a pain in the ass. But other than that, it's just plain fun! I'm definitely going to try recording something new, perhaps for my current project once I'm fully recovered. It was just a 5-6 inch incission on my lower abs, and a month later I'm pretty much ok -- but I still need to watch out and try not to put too much pressure on my abs (and voice work does that).

I love the premise of your game, we seem to like the same themes. I've actually been planning on a game, for a few years now, that has the hero go to hell by accident. He's not an agent -- but still, great minds think alike. Personified Death is a fun character, too. He seems more comedic, down-to-earth than Pratchett's. Also, is the image of death with eyes and teeth a reference to the infamouse bug in Assassin's Creed?

ManicMatt

Haha I know of the Creed bug, but no I'm afraid not! I just wanted an advert up and thought it might be funny if Death shows off his teeth for a toothpaste advert. I was thinking it would be cool to have Death appear in his own game, where his soul reaping abilities could be some kind of gameplay mechanic, not even necessarily a point and click game! It is merely a seed of thought at the moment.

The 4 pages to go through might seem excessive... it was a case of wanting people to go through the AGS page, then see my own webpage in the hope of other stuff catching their eye, and then finally Peder's AGS hosting website was shown off too..

Has anyone tried talking to the book in the store or talking to the stop sign before picking it up?

AprilSkies

Hi ManicMatt,
I just started playing and I'm already enjoing it so far! Very funny. I like a lot the character and GREAT work on voices!!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Mandle

Just finished playing the game and I must thank you for a very enjoyable time!!!

The game rocks! I love that the puzzles are never too hard to stop the story going forward but also have some unique twists. The characters are hilarious and I laughed out loud quite a few times:

My favorite joke was:

Spoiler
It's a Death Certificate.
[close]

That slayed me!

Comedy games are the hardest to write as you are always going to be hitting the funny-bones of some people and missing them on others, but I found myself really enjoying the humour in this game whether I was laughing or groaning, so hit or miss it was all great fun for me...

Thanks again for the wonderful time!

BarbWire

Hi ManicMatt

As promised I have played, commented and rated your game.
I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and look forward to your next offering.

Best Wishes
BarbWire

ManicMatt

AprilSkies: Cheers! I enjoyed doing the voice work for this game more because I could go full crazy with it, whereas my last game wasn't totally comedy! Thanks for playing and commenting! Spread the word!

Mandle: Thank you for an indepth review! I'm grinning from ear to ear! Who were your favourate characters? How did you find the music?

Barbwire: Thanking you! :smiley: Glad you enjoyed it! (Cool avatar by the way)

ManicMatt

Bumpy bump! Trailer now on the first post so you can get a sample of the humour and voices!

ManicMatt

I AM THE NECRO POST MASTER!

Sorry.

I just thought I should let everyone know that Limbo the Adventure Game is now known as Heaven, Hell and the Neitherworld. For a short while it has been unavailable but now it is on itch. It's still free to download, unless you're feeling generous. :)

I have updated it's game page to the new title and changed the download link.

The backgrounds in this game are rather crude by my own standards now, but the characters are still charming, and after playing it recently, I'd forgotten many of the jokes and found myself laughing several times. Yes, yes, laughing at my own jokes. I think I can be forgiven, it's almost like they're not my own jokes if I can't remember them!

One day I might do a budget priced deluxe version with spruced up graphics, plus other improvements. But for now, it remains as it is.

Durq

Quote from: ManicMatt on Sun 20/01/2019 20:05:46

The backgrounds in this game are rather crude by my own standards now, but the characters are still charming, and after playing it recently, I'd forgotten many of the jokes and found myself laughing several times. Yes, yes, laughing at my own jokes. I think I can be forgiven, it's almost like they're not my own jokes if I can't remember them!

Some of the voices are cracking me up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk