Saving key moments in your story or story states - what method do you use?

Started by xil, Mon 09/02/2015 04:01:18

Previous topic - Next topic

xil

So far I've just been chucking in global variables called something like storySection1Panel - I'll set this to a number (just in case of multiple states) and then change it when the player opens the panel for example. In the room load function I then just check for all the various story global variables I have for that room and update the required objects, hotspots, walkable areas etc

I've had a look in the modules and I found a something by Calin Leafshade called Story State. It's download link is broken but he does go on to say that it's only good for 50 levels or states. That worries me a lot for a full-length game, it seems rather few considering that in a small proof of concept I have already used about 5 story states in a single room. Although I do love the idea of setting the 5th story state to true and it will auto set 4, 3, 2, 1 to true as well, that would save a lot of time when testing.

Am I missing something silly that's more built into AGS than I know about or does everyone else follow the same route of just adding in global variables?
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk