Porting to Allegro 5

Started by monkey0506, Mon 16/02/2015 19:23:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Mon 16/03/2015 20:12:56
Oh, and Visual Studio is terrible. I'm on the verge of abandoning it because of its horrific implementation of the C++ standard. >:(

Please don't :)

Monsieur OUXX

monkey, did you consider showing this to the ALX author? Maybe he'll take it in account and clean up his own code, hence removing the need for you to work on that.

Or, like CW suggested :
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 26/02/2015 22:04:30
You could maybe do a pull request to ALX, and then have it as a submodule to your own projects.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Thu 19/03/2015 13:22:16
Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Mon 16/03/2015 20:12:56
Oh, and Visual Studio is terrible. I'm on the verge of abandoning it because of its horrific implementation of the C++ standard. >:(

Please don't :)

I should point out again, that using single compiler for all supported platforms (e.g. GCC) has practical benefit: you are always sure that if it compiles on Windows, it will compile on Linux.
Having both MSVS for Win and GCC for Linux may (and will) cause annoying compatibility issues from time to time.

Snarky

Personally I think very highly of Visual Studio as an IDE (I have no opinion on the C++ compiler), so I'd just point out that if you want to switch to GCC, it's still possible to use VS as your IDE (the second option, creating a makefile project, sounds the most sane).

Monsieur OUXX

Yeah, I meant "please don't drop the porting", not "please don't drop VS". Do as you wish with VS, especially if it helps cross-platform programming. Snarky's comment is interesting.

monkey0506

I like VS as an IDE, but Microsoft's compiler is the Internet Explorer of compilers. It has no respect or compliance for the standard. I'm trying to use very simple features that were standardized by the C++11 standard, such as the noexcept keyword, but VS2013 doesn't support it. And it's not like they didn't know about the keyword beforehand, the noexcept keyword was officially proposed in 2010.

I probably will take a look at just using mingw instead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk