Chongo's China Adventure

Started by HAL, Wed 18/02/2015 03:48:13

Previous topic - Next topic

HAL

First game finished!

UPDATE UPDATE: Game file is now hosted on DropBox, instead of the Chinese server I was using before. It should now be accessible to all.

UPDATE:
Gave the game an opening menu so it doesn't just dive straight into the first level.
Also added a map to the inventory which charts progress. Gives it more of a 'travelling China' feel.
Changed the main character sprite so it isn't the default Roger.
Increased dialogue font size so it's easier to read.

First, a bit of an introduction: I'm in China for a year, studying here. Having just finished my first semester and with two months winter holiday ahead, I completed a bit of travelling and then returned to campus still with plenty of time to spare, so decided to have a look online for 'old games', at which point I stumbled across AGS and was immediately absorbed, and got to work on making a game based (very, very loosely) on my recent trip. I've spent an average of 12 hours a day continuously making this game for the past two weeks, and I must say it's been quite fun, although I don't think I'll be returning to such a routine any time soon!

The game fits firmly into the category of 'training game', but I must say it was one hell of a dose of 'training'.
Also it's fairly large. It'll take a good couple of hours to complete. Maybe a lot longer.

- Join Chongo on his absurd adventure across China, from the central-southern city of Chengdu to the freezing northern tip of Harbin, with many more epic locations in-between.
- 61 photo-realistic locations all over China
- 16 inventory items
- A final 'boss' the likes of which I'm certain none of you will have ever experienced before.

Downsides:
- Uses royalty free music I found online so you may have heard the soundtrack before
- It plays in full screen but the image is a smallish box at the centre and I can't get the picture to scale up. Maybe others know how to do it, but I can't on my computer and I've tried everything. However it's 640x480 so still perfectly playable.

DOWNLOAD HERE

A disclaimer:
Spoiler
DISCLAIMER  - The final boss level is NOT a political statement. The game was a whirlwind of random creation, literally making it up as I went along. The final level just 'happened' and is supposed to be as comically absurd as the rest of the story. I doubt anyone cares anyway but I just thought I'd cover my back in cases someone decides to get touchy about it.
[close]

Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Overall I'd like to say I'm quite chuffed with the result for only 2 weeks' work :smiley:

Mandle

Looks very interesting! And yeah, the Roger sprite kind of jarred me a bit when I saw it, but I will be checking this one out for sure. Maybe if someone with animation skills plays the game and likes it enough you will get offers to redo the main character sprite for you? Here's hoping!

HAL

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 19/02/2015 02:33:10
Looks very interesting! And yeah, the Roger sprite kind of jarred me a bit when I saw it, but I will be checking this one out for sure. Maybe if someone with animation skills plays the game and likes it enough you will get offers to redo the main character sprite for you? Here's hoping!

Wait wait wait!

I'm in the process of upgrading a few bits. Namely the character sprite - it's still gonna look like Roger but I've managed changed his hair and clothing. Not much, but at least it's something.

Also I added a couple of other bits to polish it off, e.g. an opening menu when the game starts so it doesn't just dive straight into the first level. Also I've added a map to give the game a sense of progress, seeing as it's supposed to feel like you're going all over China.

I'll have it uploaded in the next hour or so, hopefully.

On a positive note - I shared the game on another forum and somebody did manage to complete it, so at least I know the puzzles are doable.:smiley:

HAL

Ok. Updated and it's ready. Final version.

DOWNLOAD.

The download link in the opening post has been corrected too so both should take you to the correct version.

Cassiebsg

Ahm... How does one download? Can't see a link to click on when I get to that dwl page. :(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

HAL

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 19/02/2015 15:30:42
Ahm... How does one download? Can't see a link to click on when I get to that dwl page. :(

Is there not a blue 'Download' button in the middle?

It sometimes comes up in Chinese, in which case it'll be a blue button saying '下载'

I'll soon have it available on DropBox again, as soon as it's up I'll change the link to that. This Chinese one should be just fine for now though.

HAL

Awwww no! You're seeing this, aren't you:

I think we can thank Chinese internet censorship for this! :angry:

It works from my computer and has worked for others when I sent them the link.

My best guess is that it's been accessed by too many IP addresses so the Chinese government are saying, 'Woah, that's file distribution, not an email attachment', and have not allowed any new IPs to connect.

How very, very annoying. I'll work around it and let you know when it's on DropBox.

Apologies :sad:

Lasca

Perhaps if someone outside of China already has the file they can put it up?

Mandle

Quote from: HAL on Thu 19/02/2015 16:01:54
Awwww no! You're seeing this, aren't you:

I think we can thank Chinese internet censorship for this! :angry:

DUDE...you said something before about how you hoped the last scene did not offend anybody politically...

I don't want to get you paranoid, but if it involves making fun of Chinese political figures/situations then this could be a reason why your link is being censored.

Take care not to get framed as a political dissident by the Chinese government. They don't have a huge sense of humour from what I've heard...

shaguar

Hi
Great visual setting and game logix so far.
I got the "Roger" Version of the game.
Is there any difference in the gameplay between this and your updated version ?

HAL

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 19/02/2015 23:23:57

DUDE...you said something before about how you hoped the last scene did not offend anybody politically...

I don't want to get you paranoid, but if it involves making fun of Chinese political figures/situations then this could be a reason why your link is being censored.

Take care not to get framed as a political dissident by the Chinese government. They don't have a huge sense of humour from what I've heard...

Hmmm, I'm gonna chance it and say it's highly likely they won't be able to complete the game anyway as the level of English-speaking ability in China is surprisingly low in most areas. Furthermore, on the upload website there's no mention of what the last level involves, so I doubt anyone important will have seen the file among the hundreds of thousands that get posted every day and thought, "Hm! I should complete this whole game to make sure it's ok!". And, it's Chinese new year so anyone and everyone is at home with their families.

The final boss thing isn't really that bad at all, however if a non-English player doesn't really comprehend the dialogue and the plot, they might take it the wrong way.

However, to be on the safe side I think I'll delete all the attachments haha.

Anyway it's up on DropBox now :smiley:

HAL

Quote from: shaguar on Fri 20/02/2015 01:47:40
Hi
Great visual setting and game logix so far.
I got the "Roger" Version of the game.
Is there any difference in the gameplay between this and your updated version ?

Nope, the puzzles etc are the same so gameplay is unchanged. I just changed the look of the character a bit, and added a map to the inventory, and added an opening menu to the game.

I fixed two game crash bugs in it too. You might not stumble across them anyway as they were quite obscure in the first place.

Also, on the old version, on a certain level where you need to give some things to a certain group of people, there's a thing you pick up an I'd missed one bit of code so it turns out you can pick up that thing as many times as you want and could have tens or hundreds of this item in your inventory, if you feel like it.  Not that it'll change the game, but it is a bug. I fixed that in the updated version too.

Oh and one quite handy change is that I changed the dialog font so it's larger and easier to read.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk