Background Blitz - Imprisonment - WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Started by GreenBeams, Thu 26/02/2015 23:02:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: AprilSkies on Fri 27/03/2015 11:07:01
WRK and M.OUXX ONES are STUNNING!
Really? I was worried after Mandle complained that I was showing my chunk. (roll) <-- this pun. (wrong)

AprilSkies

Hahahah
btw, Yeah really! I wish it was a game to play!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Cassiebsg

Quote from: AprilSkies on Fri 27/03/2015 15:20:18
Hahahah
btw, Yeah really! I wish it was a game to play!

I'm sure it will. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Monsieur OUXX

If I just... Could... Have... A few more hours.... MUST... FINISH... BACKGROUAAAARH

selmiak

@Ouxx: it's insane, these 2 transformator boxes to the left of the chair look so much like minions :-D

GreenBeams

OK, i'm not sure how much time you need, OUXX.

I'd like to ask the community if we're ok to wait, or, would you rather press on as it's well into "Voting Day".

What say you all? Are you happy to wait or will there be pitchforks and firebrands thrust at me for not cracking the whip? :P

Misj'

Quote from: GreenBeams on Sat 28/03/2015 21:27:00I'd like to ask the community if we're ok to wait
Please vote before even more pieces are entered and there is just too much competition :-D

(Nah, just give him a bit more time...it'll give me more time to decide whom to vote for; which will be a hard choice considering the quality in this Blitz)

Monsieur OUXX

OK I promise I'll finish tonight. If I'm not done, I'll forfeit (I swear I'm not being lazy, but I only have bits of one hour to draw)

Monsieur OUXX

With a little animation:
[imgzoom]http://38.media.tumblr.com/e0349a150f1eef9f6a9d5fd694642569/tumblr_nlzpoirSCk1tsfksfo1_400.gif[/imgzoom]

My official entry :

AprilSkies

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Haggis

Teach me. Teach me the ways of the pixel.

Incredible scene and well worth the wait. I can't help but imagine the two generators at the back as little robot faces looking on with fear at what is going on in front of them!

Such an array of fantastic backgrounds... each deserving of victory.

Mandle

Holy crap, Mr. OUXX!!!

* Mandle 's head explodes!!!

That's some beautifully done textures and lighting! I have been following your WIPs since that Lost Cities comp and I know you don't use a 3D modeller for your scenes, which is un-frickin-believable when looking at how spot-on the perspective is!

I assume that when the laser fires up its coils glow and shit? Otherwise it's a tad dark against the backgroud, but if it's planned to light up and draw attention to itself upon activation then this may have been a concious choice on your part I'm thinking...

* Mandle goes off to find the pieces of his head...

GreenBeams

Wowsers trousers, OUXX! Lovely stuff as we've come to expect from you :-D

OK, Voting is now OPEN and will remain so until Friday 3rd April whereupon the winners shall receive their hard-earned shiny shinies and bragging rights!!

Good luck and i apologise for any funky formatting that may be happening in the first post now on different devices. I'm not a handy man (laugh)

Monsieur OUXX

IMPORTANT: all entries are in the first post AND you can enlarge them by clicking on the name of the artist.

Monsieur OUXX

My votes :

(please note: This time it would have been really unfair to vote for just one person each time, considering that there is no entry that stands out, and they're all very good. So I took the libert of voting for more than one person where it seemed appropriate)

artistic: 304 and WRK *
playable: WRK and Haggis
concept: Loominous and Grundislav

(updated my votes in a subsequent post)

* (Misj and Selmiak, you did great too)

Grundislav I loved how eery you entry is, but there doesn't seem to be much to do in the scene, that's why you didn't get more votes from me.
WRK I can clearly see all the intermediate puzzles that could lead to an escape. I can see the game! ;)
304 I love your excellent drawings, but my heart belongs to crispy pixel art (hat's totally arbitrary), sometimes too much digital painting repells me (yet, you did get my vote) ;)
Loominous, excellent drawing -- maybe a bit sketchy compared to your former entries. But I understand it takes a lot of time. That's already amazing.
Creamy, nice entry, I feel sorry that I didn't give you any vote! unfortunately it wasn't excellent in any of the fields : the special perspective doesn't make it very playable, etc.
Selmiak you almost got a vote for the concept because of the sentence countdown.
Mouth of war : You entry would certainly be very atmospheric with some scenaristic building up coming before, but not just by itslef.

Misj'

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Mon 30/03/2015 10:26:53... you can enlarge them by clicking on the name of the rtist.
Clicking on Haggis doesn't show his full-sized entry (but the scaled-down version), and clicking on mine doesn't show anything at all.

my votes:

IDEA/CONCEPT: Loominous - There were several nice ideas, but this one was the most creative. It's definitely not your regular imprisonment (plus it's just a fun concept).
PLAYABLE: Grundislav - I think the piece could do with some clearer focal-points and I'm not the biggest fan its two-tone design...however, when it comes to playability this piece stood out for me. There's a decent amount of walking-area with some nice objects to interact with without it becoming too cluttered (or too empty).
ARTISTIC EXECUTION: Wrk - I don't like pixel-art. But I don't like to look at this subject from the point of my taste (because I feel that is unfair), but how well I feel a piece was executed within the chosen style. As such, this piece stood out for me. It's interesting, stuff is happening I think it captures the mood, and there's an excellent use of blacks (which is not that simple).

ps. OUXX, I'm counting your votes as only half points (and I urge GreenBeams to do the same ;) ). I think that part of the voting-process is to actually make that hard decision where you have to say: 'ok, I hate not to give him points for this, but...' - There are several entries that I wish I could have given votes to, but alas*.

* If I were to pick my top-three backgrounds looking at them as a whole (so not within the context of the three parameters) then my votes would have been different. And I hate to not necessarily being able to give my vote a piece that I think is overall the best.

Mouth for war

I agree totally monsieur ouxx. It was a rushed piece and i should have treated it better but thank you for commenting. :-) i have a hard time voring because everyone has done a fantastic job. And i mean EVERYONE!!!
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Misj' on Mon 30/03/2015 12:29:57
I think that part of the voting-process is to actually make that hard decision where you have to say: 'ok, I hate not to give him points for this, but...'

You're totally right. I just couldn't.

selmiak

IDEA/CONCEPT: Haggis
PLAYABLE: WRK
ARTISTIC EXECUTION: WRK

*slaps ouxx with a crowbar*
why do you start voting twice? There can only be one!

GreenBeams

Clicking on Haggis doesn't show his full-sized entry (but the scaled-down version), and clicking on mine doesn't show anything at all.
Very sorry about that! I've fixed it now although your entry will be shown without the characters in as i kept getting errors by 'saving image as' for your entry proper. Hope that's ok. :-[

ps. OUXX, I'm counting your votes as only half points (and I urge GreenBeams to do the same ;) )...

* If I were to pick my top-three backgrounds looking at them as a whole (so not within the context of the three parameters) then my votes would have been different. And I hate to not necessarily being able to give my vote a piece that I think is overall the best.

I agree with this but i have to insist that MONSIEUR OUXX choose just one entry per category. Sorry for being a hard ass but this opens the door to decimalising votes. The way i see it, this categorical kind of voting allows more recognition to the artists than the conventional first, second and third places. This is inkeeping with the fun, friendly and growing experience of producing any kind of art for AGS competitions. However, from now on we could add the category of "People's Choice/Vox Populi" or something similar which would incorporate things like "i don't know why, i just like it the best" kind of votes. I'd be willing to paint another award for that.

I'd like to know what people think about that idea and whether or not it'd be something worth trialling?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk