MAGS March: "Monsters!" (Winner Announced)

Started by Atelier, Sun 01/03/2015 16:11:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Thanks to our three entrants! Click on the game title to download:

• The Terrible Old Man by shaun9991
• You rock, Topus! by Billbis & Creamy
• Aractaur by xil

Please PM your vote to this account by 15th April.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: 'Monsters!'

This month's guidelines were set by Sox and Myinah:

The only rule is that the game must feature a monster as a key character (if not the player character) or as a major plot point/device. Monsters can be completely original or from an established legend. Think Monsters Inc, Argh Real Monsters, the legendary Greek beasts like harpies, gorgons, hydras, minotaurs. Heck even Nessie will do in a pinch, just give us something fun to play with monsters!

Ending 31st March

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Radiant

shaun9991

Is it legal to make a MAGS game that is based from a pre-existing short story? I've an idea in mind, but it would be completely adapted from something that already exists
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Atelier

Quote from: shaun9991 on Mon 02/03/2015 14:51:04
Is it legal to make a MAGS game that is based from a pre-existing short story? I've an idea in mind, but it would be completely adapted from something that already exists

I suppose "The only rule is that the game must feature a monster as a key character" infers that it's ok to use pre-existing short stories, plus "Monsters can be ... from an established legend."

However it depends what Sox and Myinah have in mind?

Myinah

I think to clarify we had no problem with original adaptations that add something totally new to pre existing legends. More that you might borrow an existing monster rather than recreate the odyssey as an adventure game. I don't really take issue with you using a character or an idea from a pre existing story as long as you are creating something new and original with it, rather that totally recreating a pre existing work. Does that make sense? Sox do you have any thoughts?

Dropped Monocle Games

Quote from: Myinah on Mon 02/03/2015 21:23:57
I think to clarify we had no problem with original adaptations that add something totally new to pre existing legends. More that you might borrow an existing monster rather than recreate the odyssey as an adventure game. I don't really take issue with you using a character or an idea from a pre existing story as long as you are creating something new and original with it, rather that totally recreating a pre existing work. Does that make sense? Sox do you have any thoughts?
This, I can't really add anything that wouldn't be repeating what you have already stated.
soo....
Quote from: shaun9991 on Mon 02/03/2015 14:51:04
I see no problem with that as long as you're adapting it into something new, not a copy + paste ;)

shaun9991

Thanks for the response guys! The idea is essentially taking a very short Lovecraft story, and fleshing it out into a very short adventure game. Sort of a re-telling, with added bits.

Is this okay? If not, I will go with Plan B :)

Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Myinah

That's a tough one. We don't want to say no, but it feels like if you are taking a fully crafted, existing story and just adding puzzles it's probably not quite in the spirit of MAGS. Other entrants will spend time writing their original story concepts so we're not sure. If no one else entering minds then we don't really have an issue as we just want fun monster games to play and your source material sounds like it will be really excellent. That being said MAGS is supposed to be made from scratch and it may be pushing it a bit more than just a little rule bend.

What do you think Atelier and entrants?

HanaIndiana

Hmm this is a hard one. My first thought is.. "Borrowing some of the premise is okay, just don't be a jerk about it.". ;)
Don't copy+paste dialog, and change it up some. And maybe let people know what the semi-source material is, so others may learn of the genius that is Lovecraft.

Maybe I'll make a game called THAT, about a Mime named Nickelback who terrorizes pre-adolescent girls from the sewers of Maine,WI. See what I did there? Too obscure, or too obvious? I can't even tell anymore. :P

xil

With a lot of game jams you are actually allowed to work on the story any time you like and the competition time is for programming the game and art so I'm personally okay with someone using a pre existing story as it's kind of like someone using a story they wrote a year ago.

I would say though, technically it's not a game jam and is 'MAGS', so I'm happy with whatever the outcome of a vote or just simply a yes/no from Myinah/Sox.

At the end of the day if I get another game to play this month I won't complain :)
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

shaun9991

Seems like our idea might be a tad controversial. We will probably still make the game, but probably won't enter in MAGS.

Great topic by the way! Looking forward to seeing what people come up with :)

Mandle

Adapting a Lovecraft story into a MAGs entry is frowned upon? Why? Because the story was pre-written?

I would say that adapting an existing story into a playable game is an art form in itself. If done properly it can even surpass the original material. If done poorly it can just be a cut/paste as mentioned.

Why not let the voters decide which?

After all, MAGs is all about getting people motivated to get their games finished and out there. And the community also benefits by having one more game to play.

I don't see a problem...

Billbis

Like Mandle says. Adapting a novel in video game is an ADAPTATION, not stealing a game design document. Go with it.

Myinah

Well we dont have a problem with it, but MAGS rules have an implication that things be created from scratch and starting with a pre existing story was something we weren't sure on as the rules say it should all be new. That story isn't new. Where does one draw the line? Maybe Atelier could clarify if an adaptation is ok. It's a tough judgement call and not one we wish to make. We just set the theme rules! We are a neutral party in this.

shaun9991

Didn't mean to start a big debate with this :)

We happy to make the game anyway, it's a tiny one, so it will come up either in MAGS or on its own :)

Mandle

Quote from: Myinah on Thu 05/03/2015 17:07:36
Well we dont have a problem with it, but MAGS rules have an implication that things be created from scratch and starting with a pre existing story was something we weren't sure on as the rules say it should all be new. That story isn't new. Where does one draw the line? Maybe Atelier could clarify if an adaptation is ok. It's a tough judgement call and not one we wish to make. We just set the theme rules! We are a neutral party in this.

Yup, understood. I hope I didn't sound like I was attacking your posts before. I was just trying to briefly say how I felt and sometimes brevity can be mistaken for curtness in text. That wasn't my intention. I just didn't have a lot of time at the time.

I agree that, if you have doubts, Atelier should maybe clarify. It would be equally as much a shame if you gave the green-light on shaun's project only to have it DQ'd later. I really doubt this would happen, but can appreciate that it's better to be safe than sorry.

Cheers!

Billbis

How are you doing, contestants?
Here something to tantalize you.

Atelier

Quote from: Myinah on Thu 05/03/2015 17:07:36We just set the theme rules! We are a neutral party in this.

Sorry for putting the weight of the adaptation question on your shoulders Sox and Myinah, I wasn't trying to pass the buck, rather it was out of deference. Because to my mind it really raises an issue with both the temporary month's guidelines, and the permanent underlying MAGS rules.

In practice I think the theme setters are far from neutral parties in MAGS. I can't recall any specific months, but we have certainly had book/film themes where adaptations were the order of the day. So obviously there's nothing wrong if the theme setters allow it. They can stipulate anything they want, completely overriding the underlying MAGS rules if they wish. In fact I remember we had a 'finish your MAGS game' month where using pre-existing material was part and parcel of the rules. So, the permanent rules are there to fill in the gaps: in the vast majority of months, there is only a general theme with no variation to the underlying rules, so this is why it is important to clarify them.

I think that allowing people to use pre-existing stories or films in general as bases, is against the whole tenor of MAGS. It is almost irreconcilable with the rules as you read them in every opening post. Essentially what is being debated here is to add another category of exception, alongside music and sound.

Quote from: HanaIndyana on Tue 03/03/2015 00:01:20
"Borrowing some of the premise is okay, just don't be a jerk about it.". ;)
Quote from: Mandle on Thu 05/03/2015 12:16:49
If done poorly it can just be a cut/paste as mentioned.

This touches on exactly the problem with allowing adaptations, ie the matter of degree. Someone's idea of an adaptation may be lifting every single line of dialog, puzzle ideas etc, from their favourite book; and we wouldn't be able to refuse the entry, because it's impossible to justify distinguishing a 'good' adaptation from a 'cut and paste' one. It's not worth the risk when the majority of people create original games. No, I don't think suddenly allowing adaptations is a good step forward.

It's quite unfortunate this question has arisen with the guidelines before us, because like I said, the guidelines take precedent over the rules. My interpretation would be that it is implicit that adaptations are ok this month: "I suppose "The only rule is that the game must feature a monster as a key character" infers that it's ok to use pre-existing short stories, plus "Monsters can be ... from an established legend.""

But that's by-the-by, because I'm being way too technical, and in any case, it clearly wasn't what Sox and Myinah intended.

So I would have to say that as usual, adaptations can only be done with approval by the theme setters.

Myinah

Ok thank you for clarifying. If we can allow adaptations then we will allow it! Can't wait to see the lovecraft entry :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk