AGS Awards Ceremony Client App - Feedback, bug reports, suggestions

Started by Snarky, Mon 02/03/2015 01:42:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Tabata

Yes it looks like on your screen.
I am running it in DD5 without nearest neighbour-filter in 640 x 480 
but my laptop can't make it bigger in windowed (1280 x 960 is some pixels too big) so 2 x nn doesn't work for me.

So there is no easy jumping to other windows in fullscreen
or the windowed that it's okay for watching but reading the font is hard (for me).  :-[

Snarky

OK, then. The drawback, of course, is that it would mean less text visible. And it's a bit of work to change, because it will mean changing the graphics. I can't promise anything, but I'll put it on the list.

Tabata

That would be wonderful â€" of course everything which affects all has more priority.
I don't want to 'steal' time that is needed for important things.

Thank you for taking the time to think about alternatives for me and
adding the bigger font size on your to-do-list. 

Cassiebsg

Readability of the font might improve if the background is a steady blue (instead of the gradient?), and text maybe bold (in a white/light yellow with black outline)... or drop the blue and make it black with white/yellow font. Nice contrast! It was hard for me to read the text too when in windowed mode and no filters.

Last beta (3) run at 2x, so that made it easier to read, but 2x takes way too much space.

Oh, one thing that I noticed is that when ppl type "/me blah blah blah" text would not display on screen, just on the log. Not a bug and probably too late to implement an appropriate on screen response...

BTW, was there a way to set character in idle mode (assuming there's an idle view)? Don't think mine changed to idle, not that I noticed it anyway.

Oh... and has anyone ever considered using this irc client to make a multiplayer adventure game? ;) I've always dreamed of such game, but it's always all other genders that have multiplayer option...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Kasander

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 08/03/2015 21:14:45
I've always dreamed of such game, but it's always all other genders that have multiplayer option...

I'm about 94% sure all genders have multiplayer option ;)

As for the multiplayer irc game, I think somebody was working on Quest for Glory multiplayer game a couple of years ago, but it seems that nothing came of it.***

---
Also, cheers for doing the dirty work Snarky, I appreciate it. Wish I had returned earlier today so I could actually help.

EDIT:

*** I've just checked it. It's on! Silly me!

m0ds

Just to say it seemed to work well for me! So many avatars to chose from - nice := And animated selection menus too, funky! Hope to be able to attend the ceremony itself.

Note: Used headphones earlier, I'm not sure my ears will be able to handle claps and laughs, but are there any other sounds that might be missed if muting that? Alternatively, how about a full GUI with sliders for the volumes, cos I can probably handle very quiet claps and laughs ;) or did I miss a menu like that?

Mandle

Thanks Snarky for what must be a lot of time-consuming and frustrating work to make this great community event even better!

I had a great time checking it out last night. Wish I could have stayed and been of more help instead of just plugging my AGS Awards: Backstage Pass game... :-D But time marched on just a little too fast.

Best of luck getting as many issues sorted as you can without going completely bat-shit insane. Looking forward to the ceremony. I'm planning to attend even if it's at 4AM like it was last year!

AprilSkies

Thanks for you work, Snarky !

P.S.
Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 08/03/2015 21:14:45
I've always dreamed of such game, but it's always all other genders that have multiplayer option...
Dualnames and JimReed made "Virtual Beer": http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=41451.msg548022#msg548022

www.apemarina.altervista.org

m0ds

Yes nicely done! I sent a PM with a couple of extra cues in case, and here's an additional song you can use if needed :P

AGS Awards For You To Win

Spoiler

It's, the A, G S awardz
Yes It's, The A, G S awards,
said It's, The A, G S awards,
Just told you about 8 times it's, the A, G S awards

A-wards!
for you!
for you to win!
or you,
to lose!
for you to lose!

Nevermind,
always be, another time
to win, awards,
like Wadjet Eye ;)
[close]

Snarky

Thanks Mods, that's beautiful! :~(

(laugh)

You'll all be pleased to know that I think I've worked out what was causing the weirdness yesterday. In case you're interested: I think it has to do with when people log off and then log back on (at least, that's the situation where I've been able to recreate it). Because of AGS's lack of pointers to custom structs (*fist to the sky*) we're reusing the same data structure instances once they're tagged as being "free" (when the person using it leaves), but presumably they aren't fully wiped out at that time (because I was being sloppy when I modified Dualnames's code), so when the next person logs on they get some traces of the last person's settings. This also explains why it looks inconsistent in different clients (tends to be OK in the recently started ones, wrong in ones that have been online for a while), since it all depends on in what order it logged on and which logoffs and logons it has witnessed.

I'll do some further testing when I have time, but this might mean that the fix is trivial. ;-D

Would any of you be willing to do another "dress rehearsal" beta ahead of the ceremony, just to check that things are in order? Maybe this coming weekend? It doesn't have to be huge, but 5-6 people would be nice. It shouldn't be that long, either (I hope).

Yol

I do not know English well I could make mistakes in writing

Tabata

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 09/03/2015 09:52:12
... Would any of you be willing to do another "dress rehearsal" beta ahead of the ceremony, just to check that things are in order? Maybe this coming weekend? ...

... same time, same place ...

Spoiler
[embed=420,315]< <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J6pAxF2br_U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]
[close]

Mandle

I can probably make it....I just love testies...:smiley::wink:

Kasander

You can count me in. Is it too late to make myself a custom dress?

Mods, that's a fantastic song.

Snarky

Hi Kasander. No, it's still open, but keep in mind that what I'm looking for is primarily:

-characters that will be freely available for use by all participants (not a "private" avatar only for you)
-characters from already released AGS games (though this is not a hard-and-fast rule)

Tramponline

I'd definitely like to help out as well.
My 'plan' for Sunday is to wallow in sweet idleness anyway... :cheesy:

So Sunday at 15:00 GMT it is, then?

Snarky

Sure. That way AGA doesn't have to change the banner. :-D

Also, don't forget to vote in the Awards, people. The deadline is only a few hours away!

cat

Is there actually a date for the ceremony yet?

This time I can probably come to the test-run.

m0ds

Any chance of an extension on the voting say up to Friday if there's no ceremony this weekend? I haven't had a chance to vote yet myself, didn't realize the deadline was middle of a week so it's pointless me reminding others if there's only 5 hours left now.

Also, isn't a round robin (to entire community) PM usually sent out to get people voting?

No problem if not. That's just me being slow and unreminded. (laugh)

Snarky

idk (wtf)

Bicilotti is in charge of the awards and of the ceremony, but he's been preoccupied lately. I think AGA handles some of the technical details of the voting. I'm just hacking away at the client. Given that there's been no polling and no announcement yet, I'm simply assuming the ceremony is not going to be this weekend, and that I'll have another week to finish it up. (Which is very welcome on my end!)

But I'm not calling the shots here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk