IAMJASON (MAGS February 2015)

Started by xil, Fri 06/03/2015 00:09:10

Previous topic - Next topic

xil

[imgzoom]http://calicoreverie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/iaj1.png[/imgzoom]

IAMJASON is dystopian sci-fi adventure with the theme of losing something (in this case, everything). You must help Jason defeat the corruption.

[imgzoom]http://calicoreverie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/iaj2.png[/imgzoom]

My main aims were as follows:

To use a very low resolution using the new AGS build.
To have a no voice acting and a new unique speech style.
To to try to improve upon my last attempt at a 1-click or 'tap' interface that could be used universally (PCs, phones, tablets etc).

[imgzoom]http://calicoreverie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/iaj3.png[/imgzoom]

Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

xil

!!PLEASE NOTE!!

BSP found a game-breaking bug earlier today so I have quickly patched the game and updated the download link. If you have not yet started a game then please can I ask you to re-download! Unfortunately I don't think save files will be valid either so a huge apology but those half-way through will have to start again.
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Cino

Spoiler
Does the bug involve the power core? I couldn't find a way to upgrade it's power.
[close]

I absolutely loved the atmosphere of the game and the quality and depth are very impressive for a MAGS entry.

xil

Thank you very much!

Spoiler
A small hint for the upgrading the power core is that you need more than one. The bug didn't involve them so you should be good!
[close]

AprilSkies

Great game!
I'm impressed you made in one month.
I appreciated a lot the lovely pixel gfx and the brillian use of the GUis in general, expecially for the texts.
The concept is great and the atmosphere you created makes this game unique.
The large amount of locations and interactions is stunning, especially thinking that it's a mags entry.
Of course the time to make this was very limited (only a month), so some minor bugs and some very minor glitches near the end of the game are something absolutely normal and forgivable. Of course, after the mags voting, you can polish and make it super-perfect.
But, it's already a 5/5 cups!
Well done!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Hobo

I have to agree with AprilSkies, an amazing amount of work and effort has put into it, especially considering that it was your second MAGS in a row.

I'm a big fan of large blocky pixels and minimalism as it leaves a lot to the imagination, so the visual side was perfect for me. The strongest elements of the game were definitely the unique setting, atmosphere and presentation, which made it a really immersive experience. Didn't have any problems with the puzzles either, all logical and well constructed.

I'm not completely sure if the game benefits from a 4-verb interface on PC. You can already use right click to look and I don't think there were any objects or hotspots that required both "use" and "take", so they might as well be united.

And I did find a small bug:
Spoiler
After you use the metal bar and the door closes in the corrupted daemon room, you can still go through the door if you use "go west" at the edge of the screen. I think it also breaks the game and you can't finish it.
[close]

A very enjoyable game, well worth your time!

WRK

Awesome [aw-suh m] - causing or inducing awe;
inspiring an overwhelming feeling of reverence,
admiration, or fear.

There's that.

Beautiful, original and kind of haunting.
Loved everything, from emotional story,
minimal yet rich, artful graphics to music and
sound design.

Only my natural envy is preventing me from
declaring you a Genius. Well done, sir.

And I'm quite sure I'm not the only one who will
ask you: please, do another one!

xil

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, it's extremely flattering as I consider you all to be much better/more experienced developers!

I have taken on board the comments re the interface and will be switching to a more PC-based setup for my next MAGS entry.

KodiakBehr

I absolutely loved this.  It's brilliant.  It really feels polished.  I love the stylistic choices.  I hope you're proud of what you've done here.

ThreeOhFour

I enjoyed this a lot! Great presentation (although in full screen the super low resolution makes my mouse really sensitive, which is really the only drawback of sticking to such a low res in my opinion) and a nice amount of effort gone into things like the text display (bless you for making the speed adjustable). I liked the gameplay, it's a very respectable length and I played through in a couple of sittings while I pondered one of the puzzles. Cool mix of ideas in terms of interacting with the world, I especially like the puzzle in which a riddle was displayed on the screen as you walked, fun stuff. The story was abstract enough to leave me curious but lucid enough to allow me to engage with the world.

Great job overall, it was a superb effort. :smiley:

sharpnova

Two bugs:

-you can use a core on itself
-confirmation of the abovementioned bug regarding being able to go west into the corrupted daemon room after you get the bar and move camera 3.

And that second bug does indeed break the game. I spent half an hour wandering around trying to figure out what to do next.

That kind of bug is just... I'm pretty frustrated. We'll leave it at that.

xil

@sharpnova - I can only offer my sincere apology for that bug, and the fact I thought it was fixed (I didn't want the game  on Game Jolt with a bug like that).

Regarding the cores (spoiler alert):
Spoiler
The cores being able to be combined is part of the last puzzle so that's not a bug.
[close]

I'll do my best to get this sorted ASAP.

@KodiakBehr & @ThreeOhFour - Thanks for the kinds words, the ending had to be a little rushed due to the time limit but I am really liking how differently people have interpreted the visuals and story.

I'm currently trying to fix the mouse bug as I experience the exact same thing on my main PC.

AprilSkies

www.apemarina.altervista.org

xil

Wow, that's so insanely flattering. I did email a few places but never expected quite such a positive response. It also got featured on GameJolt the other day which means all in all the game has now been played by over 1000 people! I really am lost for words.

I'm certainly learning how massively time consuming it is to promote and market your games as well. Hopefully I will still have time to finish my entry for the March MAGS though! :)

selmiak

I really like this game and can only recommend it. In case you are stuck here is a longplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6fNcRocaCg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk