Started by zorra, Wed 04/03/2015 00:06:04

Previous topic - Next topic

zorra

BONE
Search for the lost bone.

DOWNLOAD

(31.6 MB)

AGS Game Page

This is a training game, based on the MAGS February 2015 guidelines "Losing Something".
I'm not confident enough to enter the first game I've ever made in a competition.
It was made within a month.
I am very excited to go forward with this experience and make more games.

Editing to add more screenshots, and to update the links because I have just slightly altered the game to greatly reduce download size and make it a little better.

Mandle

The graphics look charming! By the way: an unexpectedly huge download size could be because you forgot to turn sprite compression on before compiling or so I believe...

st.

That scenery looks so natural...makes you feel the open space...and the green... About those issues: I think you can define a hotspot over a region and to avoid pixel hunting you can use larger object images imported with no transparency. I don't know about the size...PNGs instead of BMPs?
springthoughts

zorra

Thanks so much guys! I really wanted the scenery to be relaxing and uplifting.
I really appreciate the advice. I've streamlined the game now, compressed the sprites (I was totally clueless to that feature).
I had some long WAVs that I trimmed down and converted to MP3.
I figured out how to make hotspots work for changing rooms.
For the pixel hunting, I might be confused about the meaning of that, but there's ground and you have to move your mouse all over to find spots to dig.
I really should've put this in work in progress, but I wasnt aware that it was. It's all good now.
I got it down from 118MB to 31MB, which still seems pretty big but I'm OK with it.
Thanks again, I'm new here.

HanaIndiana

Aaaw, he looks adorable :grin:  Can't wait to try it out tonight, after work.

AndyfromVA

IT'S THE BONE!

st.

QuoteFor the pixel hunting, I might be confused about the meaning of that, but there's ground and you have to move your mouse all over to find spots to dig.
My mistake! Again... The AGS way is to have hotspots defined for the "mouse-over" response. Bigger hotspots then? You probably did that already.

QuoteAaaw, he looks adorable
Although the dog is main character, I liked how in image 1 he seems part of the scenery, leaving more space for the presence of the human player. Besides the choice of colors and sizes, I guess that has to do with me not playing with dogs much... I'll try the game, see how we get along...
springthoughts

sergiocornaga

I liked this game a lot. I feel you achieved the relaxing atmosphere you were aiming for. The trivial nature of the narrative/goal and pleasant scenery made me feel in no hurry to 'beat' the game, which I appreciated. It's also a rare instance in which I had no problem with pixel-hunting (I'm using this term to refer to when you have to methodically move the mouse around the screen to find things you can interact with, rather than them being visually obvious in the first place, but after reading this thread I'm not sure how standard this definition is).

I'd like to post it on a games recommendation feed I run. It has only a modest audience... probably less than 100 people, I don't really know. I thought I'd ask just in case "don't look at me" really does indicate you want as little exposure as possible. If that is the case I'd be happy to abstain.

In the event that I do put it up, would you prefer to be credited as zorra, Julia, don't look at me, or something else (do you have a Twitter handle)? Oh, and would you rather I linked to this thread or the AGS Game Page?

Monsieur OUXX

In before someone (SOMEONE ;) ) complains about the mixed resolutions.

zorra

HanaIndyana Thank you so much, I can't believe other people are going to try my little game. I was so nervous to post this but I am happy to learn from others.

AndyfromVA *Spoiler alert* At the end, the BONE chews on you!

st. It means a lot that you are even talking about this. I appreciate your help. Please let me know any critiques you have on any aspect of the game.

sergiocornaga Thank you so much for all the kind words. I am honored that you want to feature it on your feed. you can credit me as "Don't Look at Me" and direct it to the AGS game page. I will follow you on Tumblr, I'd love to check out your archives.

Monsieur OUXX oh dear, what are mixed resolutions? I was just trying to teach myself AGS. :~(
edit: This dumby just did a forum search. I definitely was a little aware of that as I worked on this, and I'm happy to get this critique. A great video game is usually visually cohesive, which gives it atmosphere. I will absolutely realize that in my next game.

selmiak

Found it! ;-D
It seems like the first image on the game page is broken.

ThreeOhFour

This game is cute ^__^

I think it's a great idea for learning to use AGS, you came up with a design that's pretty simple but still enjoyable enough to complete. Good on you for making your first AGS game, it seems like you have a cool imagination and I hope we'll see more things from you in the future! :smiley:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk