The Terrible Old Man - Remastered and now on Steam!

Started by shaun9991, Tue 31/03/2015 14:50:44

Previous topic - Next topic

shaun9991

Hey guys,

Apologies for dredging up this old thread, but we've just re-released The Terrible Old Man on Steam! It's still 100% free!

THE TERRIBLE OLD MAN

You can download it via the AGS game page here!

Three men of loose virtue are enjoying a drink in a local tavern, when they overhear the story of a rich and feeble old man who lives in town. They soon plot to take his treasures...

This is a very short (and free) interactive adaptation of The Terrible Old Man, a short story by H.P. Lovecraft. The game was originally released back in 2015 - it was made in 30 days for the MAGS competition.

This Steam re-release features polished graphics, additional content, new music and Steam achievements! It's still a tiny experience and only takes 10-20 minutes to complete.

Features
- An adaptation of the classic H.P. Lovecraft short story.
- Traditional point and click adventure interface.
- Unsettling hand drawn graphics and animation.
- Fully animated cut scenes.
- 640 x 360 widescreen resolution.
- HORROR!

There's also a very cheap DLC that has some concept art, the soundtrack, a making of document and the original MAGS version too.

For now, this version is only available on Steam. We will upload it to itch.io eventually as well. You can still get the MAGS version on itch.io and Game Jolt.

Oh, and there is a tiny teaser of our next game if you play it through to the end  ;)

Hope you like it!
Shaun

Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

AprilSkies

Wonderful expressionism art!
Also, I love that Lovecraft story!
Well done man!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Mandle

I know what I'm doing after work today! :-D

This looks like a dream come true!

Haggis

Played it through (I know nothing of HP Lovecraft and his works so this was all new to me). Really enjoyed it, the character art is surprisingly expressive and it's a joy to look at. The background art in general is fantastic. It's short but well paced and the ending is particularly well done. Terrible is an understatement!

One minor thing I noted:
Spoiler
When you need to find out the newspaper name - I'm pretty sure I was told first to find out her profession... but she wouldn't speak to me... and then I did something else (probably trying to guess the newspaper name) and the next she couldn't wait to tell me what she did for a living. I'd have to try and replicate to make sure it wasn't user error but even so it was a minor, minor thing.
[close]

Stupot

I can see why you recommended earphones.
Now excuse me while I change my knickers.

Very pretty and creepy game.

Mandle

WOW!!! Very nice game!!!

It felt like a Lovecraft story adapted and filmed as a movie in the 1930s-1940s: "You doity rat!" kinda stuff. Lovecraft was never very good at writing the way men of lower-class speak as he just had no experience in talking with such people, so I'm glad you remedied that: The characters felt quite real and I especially loved:

SPOILER:
Spoiler
the way the dude put his hat back on after wearing the mask. A nice bit of humour in a darkish game.
[close]

A great adaptation of a chilling story by one of the first real founders of the modern horror fiction genre. Thanks for the fun!

Now I'm also off to change my knickers...

shaun9991

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!!! Glad you've enjoyed the game :) I'll reply in more detail soon!
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Shadow1000

GREAT adaptation of the story.
GREAT graphics.

Well done!

SHADOW

AprilSkies

This game is incredible Shaun.
I think it's one of the best game I played about Lovecraft stuff. (nod)

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Ibispi

I have not read this short story before, but this game was extraordinarily good! Well done, Shaun and the Clock and Dagger Games team! :)

DangerDanger

Unique style (I found the smiling people creepy)
And a great adaptation of the Lovecraft novels (tone).
Well done!

shaun9991

Thanks for all the nice comments!! :D Warm fuzzies overload. Really happy with the feedback for this game, all in all I hope we captured that Lovecraft vibe :)

One playthrough on Youtube has over a million views!! :O

Mandle

Quote from: shaun9991 on Fri 01/05/2015 16:35:07
One playthrough on Youtube has over a million views!! :O

This one in fact:

CLICK HERE

Damn man...pretty impressive for a MAGS and that's not even saying enough...Over a million views on Youtube?!?!...Yeah, just a tad impressive...

Kinda glad now that people battled a bit to get your entry into that contest...

There's just something so Youtubable about your games man...I've even watched the complete playthrough of Mudlarks on Youtube and it was awesome even after having finished the game myself...

Anyways: 1.2 Million hits....Says it all really!

P.S: I love the dude's reaction at "that" point in the game...

Spoiler
He's all like "Oh no the old dude's gonna grow tentacles and turn into Cthulhu!", taking the piss and all... And when what really happens happens his reaction is just classic. It's like watching a "Five Nights At Freddy's" reaction video (laugh). You freaked him out when he didn't expect to be!
[close]

shaun9991

The Terrible Old Man has been remastered and is now available free on Steam! I've updated the original post with all the details  :)

Frodo

Looks like a great game.   :smiley:
Can you upload it somewhere that's DRM-free? 
Making it steam-only will prevent a lot of us from seeing it. 

Laura Hunt

I don't know how I managed to miss an achievement in a game that only has 6 of them and lasts 15 minutes, but that's me I guess. I also missed one in A Date in the Park :-D

rongel

Yes!  :=

What a great game, the ending was really creepy in a weird way. Curious to see the new, remastered elements!
Dreams in the Witch House on Steam & GOG

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk