MAGS April: Sleeping (VOTE)

Started by Atelier, Thu 02/04/2015 22:39:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Sleeping'

This month's guidelines were set by Hobo:

The word "sleeping" is the only rule. How you interpret or understand it is completely up to you. It may be a sleeping or sleepy character, a strange dream-like world, insomnia or just something you can do in the game to pass the time. Have a fun narcoleptic month of game development!

Ending 30th April

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Myshkin

Nice theme, thanks Hobo... I think I can do something with this one. In fact, I'm determined to complete something for this, whether it's a game or just some kind of interactive experiment. It's been a while since I've made anything, so I'll declare my intention to do so right now to try and self-motivate (roll)

Armageddon

I love the theme, it's open to so many possibilities. Can't wait to see what people come up with! :-D

Ghost

A lovely theme! I just started on a new job and don't know if I can get something done but... oh listen... I hear the siren song of night shifts...

Stupot

I will definitely try and do something for this month as I have just moved house and have a couple of weeks before my new job starts. I'll have to give myself a self-imposed deadline of two weeks though.* Currently sitting in a coffee shop with a new notepad and pen. Let's do this!

*in fact, since the Adventure Jam starts tomorrow, might as well make that the target and see if I can enter it there, too :-D

st.

I'd like to do something too. So far I have the idea, the title and maybe the music. By the way, the title will be "Sleeping Beauty"; I hope that doesn't upset anyone's plans. March has been a time of starting projects, none I could be excited about though. Now I finally had an idea that is good enough :) I know I'll definitely make the game, although it may not be ready in time for the contest. I decided to get it done without pushing myself as hard as in the case of TFS. Ideally I'd have enough time available to add rather than cut parts. I look forward to doing other things differently also, like using less overwhelming speech :) Ultimately I'd like to achieve something that more of us can think back to with pleasure.

An April of blossoming to all!
springthoughts

Monsieur OUXX

st.

tantalizing? For me MAGS is workshop rather than contest :) I hope this has to do with what you meant.

Anyway, for your interest you get some concept art :)
[imgzoom]http://i59.tinypic.com/10clnd4.jpg[/imgzoom]This is the main character, a man figure carrying a woman figure in his arms.

On the lines of 'how is the project coming along?', I already made a few steps in the directions of the story and the game world; I also decided on the interface :)
springthoughts

Eggie

I am also attempting to make mine an AdventureJam entry and tweeting my progress here!

It's about this chucklehead

ArgyBoi

Quote from: Atelier on Thu 02/04/2015 22:39:46

I feel honored for Symbiosis to be on the "guidelines" image. :-D Good luck to all the contenders!

Atelier

Quote from: JuaniT on Wed 08/04/2015 03:19:19
I feel honored for Symbiosis to be on the "guidelines" image. :-D

Credit to Hobo, he chose the illustration this month :)

5* 4 people interested in entering already? Looks like it's shaping up to be a good month.

* counted st twice

Myshkin

Well, I've written the music and the opening line of dialogue for my game. Unfortunately this is as far as I've got and I still have no idea what the story, graphics, or actual "gameplay" will be. I'm kind of feeling bereft of ideas. I'm hoping if I just stare at my computer screen for long enough something will come to me ???

Stupot

My game is called "Power Nap".

You play Greg, a guy who got no sleep last night. You want nothing more than a quick power nap, but your boss is cracking down on nappers.
Hilarity mild hijinx ensues.

I have set up a GameJolt page for it, though there isn't much to show off yet.
http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/power-nap/58788/

While there isn't much in the way of graphical delight, I've been working under the hood on a bunch of puzzles and what-not.
To save a bit of time, I was wondering if any musicians fancied donating a track or two (only one is necessary, a second would be nice).  If so, I'd be ever-grateful.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 08/04/2015 12:19:55
My game is called "Power Nap".

You play Greg, a guy who got no sleep last night. You want nothing more than a quick power nap, but your boss is cracking down on nappers.

Could you maybe rename him "Ross" as this is the exact same situation I'm in tomorrow?

(oh....and come and wake me up tomorrow as we live about 60 kms away...7:00AM will be fine...)

st.

Quotecounted st twice
I'm sorry if I let my fans down but I don't plan on entering 2 games this MAGS, sorry... Actually I'd be happy if, at the end of April, I'd have enough to start a GIP thread. But there is hope: I recently managed to convince myself to resize a big game world to something extendable (in case of success(not MAGS success, game making success(well, something I won't be ashamed of...))) :) Oh and for something to tag my project's third day photo with: Brewing over an idea-story-game_world triangle (no more concept art yet; but there's a rumor that I finally made a tree drawing that I was able to like! Yes, there will be trees.)

@Stupot+: this reminds me of a french comic strip from my youth featuring a wizard's apprentice that kept wanting to go back to sleep while the wizard kept playing jokes on him...Disciplus Simplex or something like that...

springthoughts

Creamy

Quote@Stupot+: this reminds me of a french comic strip from my youth featuring a wizard's apprentice that kept wanting to go back to sleep while the wizard kept playing jokes on him...Disciplus Simplex or something like that...
Actually, the wizard is Leonardo Da Vinci. I loved that comic strip :)

"Power nap" reminds me of Baldur's Gate, where the magicians had to take a nap every 2 minutes to remember their spells.

I've started something too. However, I don't plan on entering the Adventure Jam.

Nice characters, Springthoughts.

Stupot

@Creamy Hehe. That reminds me of a prank some classmates played on my teacher during a Geography trip. They bought like 15 of 20 cheap alarm clocks and and set them up in his bedroom to go off at different intervals. He was so pissed off it was hilarious.

As for MAGS. I'm still in and still on target for the Jam deadline. There may be some screenshots soon if I can pull my finger out.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Creamy on Mon 13/04/2015 22:12:35
Quote@Stupot+: this reminds me of a french comic strip from my youth featuring a wizard's apprentice that kept wanting to go back to sleep while the wizard kept playing jokes on him...Disciplus Simplex or something like that...
Actually, the wizard is Leonardo Da Vinci. I loved that comic strip :)

One of the funniest and most crazy comics! "I SERVE SCIENCE AND IT'S MY JOY", says the apprentice (almost always just before being smashed to dust by some device Leonardo just invented).

...But I digress ;)

About the sleep topic:

st.

QuoteActually, the wizard is Leonardo Da Vinci.
Thanks :) I don't think I understood any word in french back then! Anyway, it would be nice to see those characters in a game...

QuoteNice characters
Thanks, again :) But there's only one character! The man and the woman will not be apart throughout the game. And she'll be asleep. Obviously, he won't be able to use his hands :) The idea behind the game is one interpretation of the well known tale, but besides that and the character there won't be much else in common.

My project advances really, really slow. The game concept is sufficiently developed to allow me to start drawing, but that isn't one of my strengths... According to my finish-in-time-for-MAGS scenario, I would finish the static components of all rooms, the interface and the walking frames of the main character by the end of this week and I would have a screenshot for you. But I can't promise anything...

A few things that I'm certain of: the action will take place in a forest; there will be fantasy elements, but the theme is somewhere between Fantasy and Contemporary; there will be more action and less talk than in my previous creations. I'm attempting to get even closer to the adventure genre this time :)
springthoughts

st.

It make take a while to arrive at an actual screenshot, but here is something just as good - this is how one of the 'Rooms' will look like, full view and possible in-game-like view:

The wind brushing her hair, the snoring boulders, the dripping wall, the spider hiding behind the rock and the stars playing with their rays look back at you and say hi!

springthoughts

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk