The Case - Demo Available - Updated 16/06/03

Started by eVOLVE, Thu 03/04/2003 00:41:17

Previous topic - Next topic

eVOLVE

I am proud to present:

After nearly a year of development (actual development started on the 30th June 2002, so a year minus three weeks), the demo of The Case is finally ready for public release. You can grab the files from the official website (click on the logo) or there are links further down this post.

The game is a mystery thriller in the style of the Broken Sword games, and will probably end up being about half as long as one (I am aiming for 5 hours). It's got a varied and exciting plot (maybe a biased view there) and plenty of characters and puzzles. I'm aiming at over 40 locations, and at the rate I'm going at at the moment it may end up being quite a few more - I've been underestimating the number of locations required in each act. Let's throw out a feature list:

Over 40 locations
Two playable characters (at different stages in the game)
Fully voiced using as many members of the community as I can fit in there
An awesome musical score (thanks to Archangel)
CG Rendered backgrounds
A deep plot which I wouldn't want to spoil for you
A case

If there are any things anyone thinks I should add to this page, or you feel like volunteering your voice or kind words, just reply to this thread or email me :)

[edit] well, this is strange... i'm wondering if anyone Can help me with a phone number... well, i think it's something like a phOne number. anyone know where this is from or anything? It was in an email about my game, so i think it may have been scrambled a bit... anyway, if you recognise an area or country coDe or something, by all means pm/email me :) thanks... here's what camE through.

22-919-920: thecase 19-121-198: thecase

[edit] The demo of The Case is finally available, with plenty of music, CG rendered backgrounds and over 500 speech files. So here we go... the link is below, and if you enjoy the game, please do comment either by email or by replying to this thread :) Incidently, don't forget to read the Readme to get a heads up on the controls, and yes, this is my first publically released AGS game.

The Case Demo Complete (includes both game files and speech pack)

Have fun!
James 'eVOLVE' Hamer-Morton

jannar85

Wohoo! Rich and successful :D
Anyway, this is looking great. I love the scenes (It looks like BS!), and the easteregg I found among the screenshots. Can't wait to finally play it!

Some critics though... :P
The secretary looks too flat.

that's all! Keep this baby rolling. :)
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Pet Terry

Wow, looking great! I think this game is going to be something good :)

Oh, by the way, I could be one of the voice actors (if you need more actors)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Omg I can't wait! Not least because I'm writing the music for this baby... gonna be cool, evolvi :)

QuoteAn awesome musical score (thanks to Archangel)

You know you shouldn't say stuff like that around me ^_^

Jimi

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o WOW!!!!!!!!!!

eVOLVE

Glad you like the look of it... So what does everyone think about the idea of releasing the demo much after it's completed, so that it's closer to the final game? Is that a good idea, or would people prefer to see it asap?

MadReizka

I do music and visual effects:
http://www.distantshitfilms.net/personal/

scotch

I'd rather play it soon if you've finished it.  It'll just make more people want to play the end game :)
It'll probably make the waiting worse though ._.

eVOLVE

Okay, I'll consider it. Once the demo's complete, I'll give it out to everyone who's participated in the project so far and I'll ask them what they think I should do/change with the demo :) You never know, it may not be far off.

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Hey evolve, I saw something weird on The Case website... any ideas what that would be?

eVOLVE

Oop... you weren't supposed to see that... I was testing something and didn't realise it was with the live site... It's for an update (not the game release, but something related) that will become apparent very shortly.

[edit] I've had to delete the rest of my post through the recommendation of one of my collegues. It was infact just information about a new screenshot that was to be posted, but now will not be.

Quickstrike

eVOLVE, can I be one of the voice actors?  
"You know something people,  I'm not black, but there's a whole buncha times I wish I could say 'I'm not white'"-Frank Zappa, "Trouble Every Day"

eVOLVE

Most probably, yes. Just email an mp3 sample of your voice(s). (James@brokenpipefilms.com) and I'll see if there's a character that you fit :) If not, it's likely that I can write in some kind of small role for you in the full game.

Cheers :)

Quickstrike

"You know something people,  I'm not black, but there's a whole buncha times I wish I could say 'I'm not white'"-Frank Zappa, "Trouble Every Day"

Quickstrike

eVOLVE, hows the game going?

eVOLVE

The Demo is now here... but of course you could have guessed that from the first post in the thread :) Look up there for info... oh, and make sure you get the speech pack and read the readme.

LGM

I reccomend this demo not only because I am in it.. But because it is quite possibly one of the best AGS demos I have seen!

Very professional! I can't wait for the final release!
You. Me. Denny's.

veryweirdguy

I don't know what 'pwns' means but if it's good then I wholeheartedly agree. This demo rules!

remixor

eVOLVE, what you have so far is fantastic.  This is one of the most polished AGS demo's I've ever seen, so if you can pull off this kind of quality for the whole game, you'll have something great on your hands.  Best of luck and keep up the good work.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk