[RELEASED] Beyond Eternity episode 1

Started by MyEakinBack, Wed 15/04/2015 00:06:29

Previous topic - Next topic

MyEakinBack

Beyond Eternity

Episode 1: The West College Disappearances

The Story

Professors are disappearing out of thin air from West College. How long has this been happening? Where are the Professors going? Why do they not admit facts that others plainly see?

You explore West College to solve the mysterious professor disappearances. You must pay close attention to widely scattered clues. Along the way, you pick up scientific knowledge that uncovers many pieces of the mystery. Time and patience are needed to work through multiple challenging puzzles. Unraveling the evidence could be more important to the future of our Earth than you ever imagined.

Some screenshots

Development Progress

graphics episode 1: 100%
graphics episode 2: 15%
puzzles episode 1: 100%
puzzles episode 2: 10%
scripting episode 1: 100%
scripting episode 2: 0%
music/sound episode 1: 100%
music/sound episode 2: 50%
voice acting episode 1: 80%
final testing of beta version: 0%
expected completion episode 1: June, 2015

Development Diary

The first episode of this game is pretty much complete except for the voice acting. I've updated the opening scene to be shorter and more compelling. I've also spread the rewards out a bit to help the story flow. I don't see any problem with hitting an early June release, as I have a volunteer for the last voice.

I've had a lot of great help from others and I'm very grateful. Hopefully the next update will be a released game!

May 23rd update: The game is now ready for beta testing.

June 4th update: Bugs, bugs and more bugs, but getting closer. Estimate one more week (hopefully).

June 10th update: Not gonna make this week due to testing dragging on. Estimate another week.

June 17th game released. Next is episode 2.
completed: Beyond Eternity

MiteWiseacreLives!

This looks intriguing. I like your clean art style  :)

AnasAbdin

Very interesting :) the graphics and style are clean and I love the plot. Good luck with this!

NickyNyce

Sounds really cool, and it looks like you took great care with doing the graphics. It sounds like a labor of love. Looking forward to it.

MyEakinBack

I've got good news and bad news about the progress of this game.

The good news is the game is pretty much complete except for voice acting. Of course, I want to do a lot of testing to make sure things work right. And I'll be finishing it up sometime after Technobabylon takes the spotlight soon.

The bad news is that this game came out a bit complex. I'm just that type of person. Always getting my head in way too deep and trying to do too much. There are too many inventory items, too many clues scattered in too many places, and maybe too many annoying puzzles. The puzzled seemed easy enough to the guy making them, but maybe they turned out a little too time consuming for someone who doesn't have such a twisted mind as I. :=

Hey, maybe it's all good news? (roll)

Grim

There are a lot of people here who like challenging puzzles! As long as there are enough clues on how to solve them, you'll be all right;)

CaptainD

Challenging puzzles = posts in the Hints & Tips forum = free publicity! :-D

Puzzle difficulty is always such a hard thing to gauge - what's easy for one person is tough for another and vice-versa.

One other option - though it would delay your release date - may be to consider implementing an in-game hint system of some kind.

[delete}

Looks cute! Always hoped someone would make use of the Opengameart assets/ Liberated Pixel Cup entries.

shaun9991

Looks great! Love the graphics, and the added challenge sounds good too!
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

MyEakinBack

QuoteGreat art style! I always hoped that some talented adventure scripter would once bring these sprites from the Liberated Pixel Art Cup to live!
I see that some great effort went into those sprites. Unfortunately, I did not participate in the event. I did base my characters on the Universal LPG sprites and the Kaizer templates that are public domain, so they look very similar. I do appreciate the kind words!

I will be the first to admit I am not the greatest artist around. The backgrounds are a combination of much older free art and public domain pictures, with a lot of modifying. My domain is really the puzzles and scripting I think.

Quotemay be to consider implementing an in-game hint system of some kind.
Great suggestion! I have now implemented a hint system. I don't see this delaying the release, as I already had a structure set up that let this be implemented.

final call for testers!

I am now making a final call for anyone who would like to do testing. This is the final part of the project which is not as fun as earlier parts. I would be looking only for testers who are devoted to completing a difficult job.

This game takes at least four hours to finish if you have a cheat sheet and know exactly what to do. So I think that the type of testing I am looking for (main path plus potential side paths) would require 2X or 3X that amount of time (8-12 hours).

So if you would really like to help, you should be able to devote maybe 12 hours of time over the next two weeks. I would say if you can't do this, and I know few of us can, you should not reply. Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk