Pendek - out now!

Started by shaun9991, Fri 17/04/2015 10:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

shaun9991

Hi guys,

We've been busily beavering away on our entry for AdventureJam 2015, and it's now finished! Making an adventure game of any depth or substance is SO DIFFICULT to do in two weeks! But hopefully people will still enjoy it :). If you want to, you can also vote for the game HERE for the AdventureJam. Any votes are super appreciated :)

Story:

You are Yandi, a villager who works for the Pandang Logging Company deep in the Sumatran jungle.

An accident leaves you stranded and alone in the jungle. You must survive, you must escape. But who knows what you might come across in the process?

Features:

- A short point and click experience that has inspiration from adventure games of the 1980s, but also has some old arcade game vibes!

- Great original 8-bit soundtrack and sound effects from Soundream Studios

- 320 x 200 resolution

- Strangeness

- Mystery

- Decisions

Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Monsieur OUXX

Oh wow!!! I love the graphics and the theme is original!

Mandle

The first screenie reminds me of Pitfall...

Can't wait to try this out! Whenever I see "shaun9991" on a game release I'm already getting excited!

Ibispi

Wow, Shaun! Just finished it. It is wonderful.
The puzzles were perfect, and also the game is very atmospheric, like, it was quite scary
Spoiler
in that cave, when the protagonist closes entrance behind him. Especially, the parallax scrolling made everything very tense. :D I was expecting some kind of a tribesman at every corner!
[close]
I have a question,
Spoiler
what are those Pandeks? Are those based on some real myth in Sumatra, or did you just come up with this idea for the game? Anyways, I'm going to replay the game, from my last save, to see what happens if I kill the Pandek.
[close]
Nice job for making this in just two weeks.

AprilSkies

Wonderful little game. Finished right now, both endings.
Well Done Shaun!
Again a very good game... you're a machine!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

shaun9991

Thanks for the nice comments guys :)

Definitely going to have a couple of weeks of game making now - I would not recommend entering two consecutive game jams... so tired :D Super fun though at the same time!

Mandle: Pitfall was definitely an inspiration for the look of the game! :)

BSP: Really glad you enjoyed it!! Your comments gave me warm fuzzies.
Spoiler
Orang pendeks are a legend in Sumatra, I find the stories fascinating. Thinking about making a large game set around the myth one day! You can read more about them here
[close]

Aprilskies: Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed it! Every day that passes is another day closer to playing Tales - can't wait! :D

Monsieur OUXX: Thanks! :) Hope you enjoy playing it!
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: shaun9991 on Fri 17/04/2015 16:33:56
Monsieur OUXX: Thanks! :) Hope you enjoy playing it!

The download page is blocked by my firewall at work :-(

Ibispi

Quote from: shaun9991 on Fri 17/04/2015 16:33:56
Orang pendeks are a legend in Sumatra, I find the stories fascinating. Thinking about making a large game set around the myth one day! You can read more about them here
So... it's like Bigfoot, but small... Smallfoot? :D
Jokes aside, very cool. I like it when I learn something new from video games. :-)

@Monsieur OUXX, it's blocked for a reason; you should work and play this game later! >:o
I'm sure it won't disappear from the internet until you come back from work! >_>

Davi Vasc

Downloading it now :) Looks really nice. I can't possibly imagine how insane it must be to make a game in two weeks.
-------
Davi Vasc - Music composer
http://www.vascmusic.com/

Stupot

Sweet game, Shaun. I really felt like I was in that jungle. And I really enjoyed the arcadey touches. I thought at any moment I was going to be asked to do a shooting or hurdling sequence, and that in itself was tense :-)
Good work.

AnasAbdin

Nice game! Really loved the graphics and music. An original idea and Shaun's name... what to expect? 8-)

selmiak

this is cool, just completed it! The only thing missing is a slider for the music volume.

xil

Great game Shaun! I really enjoyed all the hard work put into the events and animations, it really payed off. I gave you a vote on #adventurejam as well :)
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: BSP on Fri 17/04/2015 16:58:22
@Monsieur OUXX, it's blocked for a reason; you should work and play this game later! >:o
Do you mind if I download it and play it during my lunchtime? You awful arbitrary corporate judgemental person! ;-D

Ibispi

@Monsieur OUXX, but, what if you got caught playing AGS game during work and got fired or something similar!? (wrong)
Or, what if by playing this game instead of working some disaster happens and you end up lost in a Sumatran jungle... (roll)

Monsieur OUXX

Pendek makes me want to end up lost in the Sumatran jungle...

Cogliostro

Enjoying it a great deal, but, I ran into the Orang pendek and then get this error msg: in "Room6.asc", line 268, Face Charactger, characters are in different rooms.  Didn't happen during the second play though.

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

shaun9991

Thanks all for playing Pendek, and especially thanks for all the nice comments! :)

Selmiak: This is a good idea, I will add this in when the voting for AdventureJam is over :)

Cogliostro: Sorry about that! Just had a quick look at the code and it seems okay so I'm not too sure how that happened, but I will add a sure-fix when voting is over :) Thanks for pointing it out!!

splat44

Well done!

I like:
Spoiler
Both endings
[close]

SinSin

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 21/04/2015 11:03:46
Pendek makes me want to end up lost in the Sumatran jungle...
Me too but with less tigers!!

nice little game !  congrats
Currently working on a project!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk