MAGS May: Song -> Game (OPEN)

Started by xil, Sun 03/05/2015 18:29:57

Previous topic - Next topic

xil

Topic: 'Song -> Game'

This month's guidelines were set by Atelier:

This month, entries must be based upon your favourite song. Convert Stairway to Heaven, Folsom Prison Blues, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun... into a game!

There are no strict rules of adaptation, but your chosen song must have clearly inspired the game.

Please name the song and provide a YouTube link if possible, so we can judge how well the song has been adapted!

- Classical music is allowed
- Wonderwall is not allowed

Ending 3rd June

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âœ" A working download link
âœ" The title of your game
âœ" A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

xil

Hi everyone! Apologies for the delay getting this up. I'm attempting a personal challenge to enter every MAGS this year and because I was meant to be choosing the topic for May, myself and
Atelier decided that I will host and he will choose the topic, to keep it fair (and because there are no rules against the host entering the competition!). :)

Please do note as well the closing date will the the 3rd of June to make up for the lost days at the start of May.

Enjoy!
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Armageddon

Can we use the song within the game? It'd be freeware so I doubt there'd be any legal trouble.

Mandle

Quote from: Armageddon on Mon 04/05/2015 04:33:00
Can we use the song within the game? It'd be freeware so I doubt there'd be any legal trouble.

True in most cases I'm sure, but some artists like Eminem and Prince are notorious for tracking down people using their songs without permission and "cease and desisting" them, so there are always the exceptions to look out for ;)

xil

That's a tough one Armageddon!

My first thought was that the rules set forth by Atelier state that the game must be based upon and clearly inspire the game so I would say that the song is definitely not required to be within the game. However, I do feel that because we are essentially creating art based upon the song, much like fans make music videos for their favourite songs, I don't see an issue with having the song in the game as long as it is 100% freeware. A lot of artists would be humbled by the fact we took the time to create something based upon their work, but as Mandle says, there will always be those who think the opposite!

TL;DR My opinion would be that it is okay to include the song in the game if the dev wishes to.

(Personally I will refrain from using the song in the game so to avoid any possible issues with the artist but I shall message Atelier to see whether he needs to decide or myself as guest host can make the ruling.)

Atelier

Yeah, I think it's entirely at the entrant's discretion to include the song in the game - but it certainly is not needed in order to meet the guidelines.

SonikBuster

If you would rather use a variation on a theme, or an original song I'm looking for reasons to practice composing. Hey- it's an option that doesn't end in court or with a cease and desist notice. :-D

Radiant

HanaIndiana

@Radiant
lol!  "That they're gonna throw it back to you"

Stupot

Is anyone entering this one?
Xil, you've been awfully quiet lately ;-)

xil

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sat 30/05/2015 10:31:43

I think I'm in big trouble getting an entry for this month unfortunately! Thankfully I still have a couple of days but it's going to be a very short game if it gets finished.

Stupot

Quote from: xil on Mon 01/06/2015 17:16:58
Quote from: Stupot+ on Sat 30/05/2015 10:31:43

I think I'm in big trouble getting an entry for this month unfortunately! Thankfully I still have a couple of days but it's going to be a very short game if it gets finished.
I'm rooting for you, mate. You gotta release something :-)

Also, we still need to know the result of last months comp. Atelieeeeeer! Come baaaack! Your exams can wait! ;P

Radiant

So what's up with the June mags? Do we have a subject for that?

Stupot

Quote from: Radiant on Wed 03/06/2015 09:56:26
We're still waiting to find out the result of the voting for April's contest to decide who chooses June's topic. I've PMed Atelier but he's gone somewhat AWOL.

xil

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 03/06/2015 11:33:04
Quote from: Radiant on Wed 03/06/2015 09:56:26
We're still waiting to find out the result of the voting for April's contest to decide who chooses June's topic. I've PMed Atelier but he's gone somewhat AWOL.

Yes, the reason I posted the May comp is because Atelier is very busy with exams at the moment. I'm sure he'll be able to check back soon enough.

Sadly, I'm not going to get my game finished for May though, I bit off a bit more than I could chew, but it's going to be something I finish over the next few months into a full game. I had fun trying to do a game each month but I've started to burn out so I'm going to complete a couple of side projects over the next few months to regain my self motivation!

Gurok

Who chooses the July theme given that there were no entries to the May competition?
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Atelier

Quote from: Gurok on Fri 05/06/2015 02:48:20
Who chooses the July theme given that there were no entries to the May competition?

Usually the host - hopefully I will be less busy by the 1st July to resume MAGS as normal!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk