Resolution problem with old game

Started by Fedx, Sat 06/06/2015 20:12:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Fedx

Hello! First of all, sorry if this has been asked before, I tried searching for this issue but my searching skills are rather dull :P I started making a game back when AGS was around version 3.1 (I think, it was made in November 2013). The game has a resolution of 640x480, with 16-bit colour. When I compiled the game with the old AGS version, it "stretched" out the game with no troubles at all, like this: (Sorry for the camera photo, the print screen button isn't working). Now I upgraded my AGS to 3.3, and the game doesn't "stretch" to the borders like it used to, and instead gives me some big black borders around the game, like this: (Sorry again). The AGS project settings are: 16 bit colour, Direct Draw 5 and 640x480 pixels in resolution. If there's anything else you need to know just ask, and again, sorry if this was asked before! Thank you very much.
- The gamer doesn't dies... he respawns -

Peder 🚀

I feel that AGS 3.3 here is doing the right thing, in your first screenshot things are obviously stretched to a point where the aspect ratio of the original source is broken, and imo this is a bad thing and I've never liked games that end up like this when playing in fullscreen.. It kind of ruins the atmosphere of the whole game...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Peder on Sun 07/06/2015 14:10:19
I feel that AGS 3.3 here is doing the right thing, in your first screenshot things are obviously stretched to a point where the aspect ratio of the original source is broken, and imo this is a bad thing and I've never liked games that end up like this when playing in fullscreen.. It kind of ruins the atmosphere of the whole game...

What Peder sais is right. However, the AGS 3.3 has two options in setup that may let you run game without maintaining aspect ratio. They are under "Advanced" section, and called "Enable sideborders" and "Enable top/bottom borders". They are On by default, but if you uncheck them, AGS will try to find the resolution without borders first (if your gfx driver supports matching one).

I would also like to note that AGS 3.3 still keeps particular limitations older AGS had, and may not always take advantage of all the supported resolutions. This is because of the way it works - I would not like to go deep into technical details here.
The WIP version 3.4 (currently in alpha stage) does not have such limitations.

Problem

But if you scale a game up while maintaining the correct aspect ratio, you'll get either top/bottom or side borders. You should never get both, I guess?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Problem on Sun 07/06/2015 14:35:49
But if you scale a game up while maintaining the correct aspect ratio, you'll get either top/bottom or side borders. You should never get both, I guess?
As I said, 3.3 has some limitations, for instance it is able to scale only by integer value.
If there is no resolution equal to (game size * N), where N is integer (1,2,3,4 etc), then the borders are only way.

Fedx

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 07/06/2015 14:30:24
What Peder sais is right. However, the AGS 3.3 has two options in setup that may let you run game without maintaining aspect ratio. They are under "Advanced" section, and called "Enable sideborders" and "Enable top/bottom borders". They are On by default, but if you uncheck them, AGS will try to find the resolution without borders first (if your gfx driver supports matching one).

Great! That solved the problem. I didn't quite understand what Peder said, maybe because we stretched the first picture in photoshop? Because it is a temporary image, until now everything looks good in fullscreen
- The gamer doesn't dies... he respawns -

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk